Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MPEG-4 movies

Options
  • 04-10-2009 11:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

I have some MPEG-4 movies on my Acer Extensa laptop. I tried watching one last night and it kept freezing for a few seconds then playing. I have the films stored on an external hard drive & watched them with Apple quicktime player free. Would they play smoother if they were on the internal HDD? or has anyone any suggestions for playing them better ?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Moved from laptops/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭kingofslaves

Thanks Alan, wasn't sure what forum it fitted!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

Yes. Minimize all disk activity for more performance. External hard drives just as a generalization have lower access speeds then internal ones. Stop virus scans, hard drive indexing and downloading/uploading at a constant rate. LAN activity can also hinder it if you're sharing out your hard drives to people (who are using them) or copying things over to your own drive etc.

Thanks wolfric, but I have virus scanning, indexing etc all turned off, I think it might be the fact the HDD is connected via a PCMIA USB card, so might try with it directly connected or just move the movies to the internal HDD !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

I would get rid of Quicktime. Try VLC (link).

• Advertisement

Voodu Child, thanks for that, couldn't remember what it was called! Had it on old lappy and forgot to transfer it over. Cheers.

Just tried it and the same film runs very smoothly, thanks again VC !

Advertisement