Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stage Manager's Kit..a little overwhelmed..

Options
  • 04-10-2009 10:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Upon studying and reading about Stage Management, I was absolutely overwhelemed by the amount of items required for a proper stage manager's kit. From office supplies, wrenches, magazines, post-its, clear nail polish, band-aids, thread, tampons, flashlights, bobby pins, usb sticks, chalk, tweezers, pocket dictionary, and so much more, I had no idea the amount that was considered professionably suitable was that huge. I've done a lot of community theatre around town and the roles were usually so spread out and already understood that the idea of a stagemanager's kit was sort of spread around the theatre and no one person had everything at all time. Of course with higher budget plays that involved more people, more space, more time, more investment, I understand why there is this need, but I still have a lot of questions about how to manage it all. This is also an assignment for class to get feedback, but my partner and I got lucky with a topic that really does make both of us curious.
    If you have any experience with this, please let me know your thoughts. Every question doesn't have to be answered, one will do, but I am so anxious to learn about each.
    Thanks guys! icon_smile.gif

Ok so my questions are:

1. We have been studying the importance of a stagemanagers kit in class, and we have come to realize that there is an overwhelming amount of tools, supplies, and unexpected materials that must always be on hand. Could you suggest anything that would help in organizing this seemingly otherwhise amature stagamanager's nightmare?

2. What would you suggest being the most effecient type of container for these items? In hectic times during the rehersal proceedure or performance times, how do you manage distributing and keeping track of everything at once while being at the disposal of the director, actors, crew, and so forth?

3. The possibility has been brought up in class that certain items within the kit can become expected on a regular basis from the actors or crew. Such examples could be cough drops, feminine products, spare change, hair ties, and so on, which can not always be provided every time due to finances. Do you have any advice on the balance between supplying what is curteous rather than being depended on for an infinite supply?

4. What are the top three must-have items in your stagemanger's kit? Why?

5. Are there any items that at the time of purchase you felt were necessary, yet when it came to performance were not as reliable as expected? Or would you suggest replacing one type of item for another more effecient type that you have found through experience?

6. From your experience, do you have any specific do's and don'ts when it comes to organizing and managing a stagemanagers kit?

Thanks again!! icon_razz.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭cat_rant

Hi how are you doing?

Here are a couple of things I can tell you from my own experience....

My number one item that I would have is a "leatherman" this is a multi funtional tool that has all the usual bits and bobs.... knife, scissors, flat head and phillips head screw driver etc....

Make sure it is engraved with your name so that it is easily id'd as yours. Look the person in the eye and tell them it was a gift and very important to you before you hand it to any one!

2... have your own sewing kit with needles thread of diffrent colors and the magical wonder web... get your wordrobe mistress/master to be the first point of contact for these things yours is only a small back up for emergancies.

personal products like feminine hygiene items - strangely enough I always found that if you keep them with the first aid kit and only have a small amount people respect that they are emergancy use only. Cough drops are a no no in the First Aid kit though as you cannot give them to anyone for allergy purposes. I have in the past kept a squeeze bottle of honey and a spoon in my pack as one person had a bad cough on a production. After the first night they brought their own cough syrup. I also recommened steaming for the vocal cords.

In my opinion the more you do for people the more they expect you to do. You keep these things hidden until needed and be quite vocal about the fact that people need to be responsible for their own requirements as much as possible. Of course if you are dealing with a cast and crew of minors you need to be more understanding - but with Adults don't.

Never do for anyone what they can do for themselves. It prevents personal growth and development.

A stage manager plays a support role to any crew and cast on a production. But always be prepared to delegate to others to keep yourself free to tackle new challenges that may arise.

There you have it that's my two cents worth. Also it's a good Idea to be a first aider with current certs up to date. Always a bonus :D expect teh unexpected.

I always try and keep an eye on health and safety risks and raise awarness of this to all involved in the production.

Best o Luck and hope this helped.

Advertisement