Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building costs down and repricing an old quote

Options
  • 04-10-2009 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

I've just been reading a report in the Sunday Times that housebuilding costs have dropped hugely over the past couple of years.

I had a quote from a builder (Kerry) two years ago for some work to be done in clearing a site and creating a drive and his quote then was €20,000. We've kept in touch with him as regards progress towards us being able to get the work done, which was held up because of legals, etc., and he's a nice guy and a respected builder in the area. Would there be any point in asking him to re-price his quote? Don't want to upset him too much as really would like him to do the work.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,916 ✭✭✭✭muffler

If you were only asking him today for the first quote you can be sure it would be a lot less than what he quoted you 2 years ago. So just ask him to reprice the works and regardless of what price he gives you get 2 other prices also.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

Thanks Muffler, that's just what I was thinking. I suppose I just needed to hear it from someone else - it makes me feel that I'm not being a miser and just being sensible :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭gdael

My mum just got a new price for an attic conversion. Originally she had quotes done 2 years ago but between one thing and another didnt go ahead with the work.

In the last couple of months she got new quotes.
    The prices are on average 40% lower than they were 2 years ago. Some even from the same people who quoted originally - thought they tended to not move as much.

Its worth a try and if i were you i would start the quote process again with lots of builders

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭icbarros

You should definitely ask for a new quote.

The reality at the moment is that building materials costs have started to decline in February 2009, they are now approximately 5.5% to 10.5% cheaper than last year (2008).

For new house building projects the average decline in tender prices is 13%,although in some cases, falls of over 20% have been witnessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭stephentbb2000

At the end of the day the builder is not doing you a favour, he is doing it as a payed job. You have to protect your own finances, you have every right to renegotiate a new price but be prepared to either swallow humble pie if he refuses or have a plan b.

• Advertisement
Advertisement