Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finished College and don't know what to do?(Who's been there/is there now?)

Options
  • 04-10-2009 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,
    I'm 24 and I have a degree in IT(1H1), but I don't think IT is what I want, tbh I don't even know what it is I want to do with my life!
    I have somehow ended up doing a PhD but I'm not liking that at all...I'm less than a year in and can't see myself doing it for another 3, I'd love to drop out but tbh I have no idea what I'd do if I did, like I said I don't have a clue what I'd like to do with my life and its really starting to get at me now!

Just wondering if anyone else is in this situation, and perhaps more importatntly if anyone else has been there and gotten through it, and if so could you share your experiences with us?

Any replys appreciated,
    Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

What you're experiencing is totally normal. Most people don't really know what they want to do with their lives or what they want to work as. What normally happens is they get some kind of commitment (e.g. house, baby) so they just focus on earning money rather than doing what they really want to do.

When I finished college 10 years ago (also IT) I didn't really care about IT. I was good at it (programming came very natural to me) but I thought it was a sort of vague, silly subject.

10 years later and I now have a masters in computer science and I work in IT :) but I run a load of websites on the side and hope to eventually (fingers crossed!) make enough money from them that I can leave IT and be self-employed.

I'm lucky in that I've avoided major commitments (didn't buy a house, have been careful with my sperm!) so I have the freedom to change career while in my 30's.

Basically what I'm trying to say is don't worry about it. Just try to figure out what you enjoy doing (or at least, what you don't hate doing) and give that a shot. Try to avoid making any commitments while you figure out how you're going to make money.

Personally I would stick with the Ph.D. It can't be worse than working in IT.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭dazzday

After two years doing your PhD you may be eligible for a Masters award.

Probably best not to ask your supervisor, but surely SU/admissons/faculty staff etc will have a better idea. At least this way if you are sure 2 more years are not for you, you will have something to show for all thie time and effort you have already put in.

Advertisement