Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Land Rover Defender TD5 fuel problem?

Options
  • 04-10-2009 2:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I have a landy defender TD5 (1999) which has recently had a new head. Since fitting the new head, it seems to be more difficult to start than it was before. Once it has started, it will run fine for about 15 mins, and then cuts out! I have tried all the purging methods shown on these pages, and have replaced all the 'o' rings and seals on the fuel system. The fuel pump seems fine. once the engine has cut out it will not restart for about 10 mins. A friend suggested changing the water temp sender to the ecu. this seemed to cure the problem for a few days, but it has returned. I think there is air getting into the fuel system somewhere but i cannot find any leaks and i'm at the end of my tether with it now. Any suggestions??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

When they fitted the head did you have new injectors or transfer the old ones in the correct order? In other words, is the ECU seeing the correct injector codes? May make it harder to start if they were wrong but shouldn't cut out though.

Normally the only thing that will totally stop a Td5 is the crankshaft sensor located on the bellhousing just above the starter, check the plug to this is securely on, may have been knocked when head was done?

Have you had the ECU read for faults?

How much fuel is in the tank, my brother in laws 130 had a failing pump that wouldn't work when tank was low. Had to replace it eventually when it got noisy and wouldn't start at all. Is your fuel pump any noisier than before?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ploughbynight

I certainly know the frustration diesel problems cause, I have a thread going, no rather a saga on my TD5 Discovery. When I get it going its grand, but air getting into the system after starting. Maybe have a look at the Discover slow to start thread and there might be something there. Having said that Sean 101 has been spot on for my previous issues with the offending Disco.
    Sincerely yours,
    A disillusioned disco driver.......
    :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 alanos

Hi... Yeah, the injectors were put back in the same places they came from... when the engine does cut out it sounds like fuel starvation to me. the pump sounds fine, but i hear they are very prone to faults so i might try changing that next. it just seems odd that it runs ok for ages then suddenly dies! i am pulling my hair out!!! no fault codes showing on the diagnostic, was showing a coked egr valve but cleaned it and the code has gone but the fault remains! grrrrrrrr....

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ploughbynight

My fuel pump was giving eratic readings of between 1.8 and 3 bar, it should be between 3 and 4 bar. I have just about replaced everything, hope to get my fuel pressure regulator valve from Uk tomorrw (€100 cheaper) and so should know more then. Will keep you posted...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Does sound like your pump intermittantly failing. As said it should be at around 4 bar, only way to test is to take out the temp sensor and screw in a gauge.

Be careful not to break a fuel line when you drop the tank, they can be difficult to obtain. Some people have cut a neat hatch in the floor to access the pump, saves draining and dropping the tank.

Ditch the EGR valve and pipework, engine breathes easier witout it (as it does with no centre silencer as well :D), several removal kits out there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement