Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name this game: A Bard, a Ninja, A Valkyrie..

Options
  • 04-10-2009 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭

Someone help me, this is driving me nuts, recently started playing MAME again.

I used to play this in Adventureland (?) on O'Connell Street, Dublin, as a kid, it was downstairs, just beside the staircase.

You had a choice of a Bard, Valkyrie, Ninja and some other character.. game was quite varied, first level included really annoying zombies that stayed flat until you approached, you could build up a mega spell and transform into, amongst other things, a Stone, or Lightning cloud, or a Pig, if you messed up the selection.

Date of game production, at a stretch, between 1990-1994.

Graphics were quite gritty, a bit Ghoul and Goblins. Game was look down and omni directional.

2nd and 3 rd level bosses, I think one was a group of Griffins, 3rd level was a Dragon.

With the power of Paint, here is the first main level boss. The player had hearts in the corner, for units of life.

1stbossmysterygame.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,116 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

What type of game was ot? Was it a street of rage/ final fight clone? Maybe one of the dungeons and dragons arcade games?

Shadow_over_Mystara_fighting_Dark_Elves.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Retr0gamer, thanks for your input.

I found it.

Gate of Doom (US) or as it was in Dublin, Dark Seal.

http://www.arcade-history.com/?n=dark-seal&page=detail&id=591

I always played as the Bard..

dark0001.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

You know, I don't think I've ever heard of that game! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Here's the Boss I 'MS Paint-ed' further up the thread..

dark0004.gif

I liked the game, I could loiter for a good while on just a credit or two. Very memorable audio.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,116 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The likeness is uncanny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,692 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

As your original drawing is missing sound effects I can only give you a B-.

Stick some in and I'll bump you up to a B+

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Dark Savior

Not bad at all.Let's see who can guess one of my fav's of the mid 80's........

ikari1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Rexelac

Metal gear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Rambo?

Master of the Universe

Describe your favourite arcade game via MS paint.

I can see this catching on :D

• Advertisement

Nope,both wrong :D

It's ikari warriors and not a bad ms paint rendition!

Nope,both wrong :D

looks similar to Rambo

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's ikari warriors and not a bad ms paint rendition!
    You're a winner !!!!.I was hoping someone would say Guerrilla War.It does look like Rambo too.
    Here was the screenshot i used
    1181242122380.png

Master of the Universe

Similar...but different screen orientation!

Was Rambo on the Master System even good?

In fact, was anything on the Master System good? :pac:

I'm more of a Nes guy but Sonic,R-type and Streets of Rage are pretty good on the 8 bit machine.
    I was bored and went into MS paint again:rolleyes: try name this arcade game....easier this time though.
    guessmetoo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭antor

Its midnight resistance,one of my fave games of all time :)

Was Rambo on the Master System even good?

In fact, was anything on the Master System good? :pac:

Not much but there's Golvellius (sp?), Zillion, Sonic 1, 2 and chaos, master of darkness, ninja gaiden (different to any other version) off the top of my head.

antor wrote: »
    Its midnight resistance,one of my fave games of all time :)
    Correct and right;)

1181242137348.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Not much but there's Golvellius (sp?), Zillion, Sonic 1, 2 and chaos, master of darkness, ninja gaiden (different to any other version) off the top of my head.

blasphemy!
    The SMS was a fantastic system , better imo than the NES (although the NES beats it on sheer numbers of releases)
    great games/conversions, off the top of my head?

R-type
    Wonderboy III the dragons trap
    Fantasy Zone
    any of the Alex Kidd games
    Gain ground
    Land of illusion
    Bubble Bobble
    Gauntlet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 monty_mole

Wow Dark Seal............
    I finished that game on 20p (with 1 life left too) a record in the local chipper.:D
    Don't think i'll ever forget that, one of my best acheivments EVER....:P
    The whole chipper was watching and when i beat the end boss, The whole place went beserk.
    I was about 11 years old...........memories :D

Edit: i used the wizard, She could beat the end boss alot easier than the others :)

blasphemy!
    The SMS was a fantastic system , better imo than the NES (although the NES beats it on sheer numbers of releases)

You're taking the mickey there. The master system had a handful of excellent games but compared to the NES library it doesn't stand a chance.

Megaman 2 and Mario 3. Thats all have to say and I'm not even skimming the surface.

Every ones entitled to their opinion , and yeah the NES was a decent machine but ,I'm serious , I've always thought the SMS was a better console !
    yeah as I mentioned the NES had a lot more releases , as basically they had a stranglehold on games in the US , and the SMS is considered a failure there , but I've found the quality of games for the mastersystem to be a lot higher by and large, usually if there was a NES and a SMS version of a game I've found the sega version to be better.
    (plus the SMS version 1 had 2 1/2 games built in , and the SMS II had one, and hey its a sturdier machine as well , no faffing about on ebay for 72 pin adaptors or spending 40 minutes blowing on carts and reseating them 500 times to get them working;))

MB3 is a great game fair enough , but to be honest the megaman games are hugely over rated.
    Actually dug out the SMS v1 at the weekend it's been great craic so far.

Master of the Universe

When it comes to comparing machines, I think you fall into a bit of a trap if you side by side games that were released on both.

Sure, in some cases it does show how one system fails and another succeeds.

However in a lot of cases, the game will just be optimised for one machine more than the other.

What you really need to do is compare the quality of exclusive titles on both consoles. As they're the games that show what the console is capable of.
    but to be honest the megaman games are hugely over rated.

Anyone who says this hasn't played enough Megaman 2. ;)

It's run and gun platforming perfection.

MB3 is a great game fair enough , but to be honest the megaman games are hugely over rated.

I respected your opinion. Until I read this. :)

The SMS was a way more powerful console than the NES but for me the NES just had the better games and way more of them. The only area the SMS wins is in the RPG stakes and thats mainly due to phantasy star being way ahead of anything at the time.

heh
    C64 v speccy
    snes vs meg
    NES v SMS , these things are always fun.
    I've always had a soft spot for the SMS ,mainly as its kind of an underdog , and is always written off as a failure by US retrogaming sites/mags etc.
    I'm not knocking the NES by the way , but whenever a game was released on both formats the sega version tended to be better.
    few examples on this lads youtube channel
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLxepod1wvI&feature=related

bearing in mind that I was at the start of what a fairly dodgy dose of stomache flu (drugged up to the eyeballs now)I'm willing to concede that MM2 was a decent enough game ;)

Advertisement