Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where can you fly fish this time of year?

Options
  • 04-10-2009 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

Just wonderring, what with having considerably more time on my hands of late, I was thinking of doing a bit more fishing. Can anyone tell me where I may be able to get a bit of fly fishing in or is it just a no go this time of year? I know the different lakes may offer something but is it generally good/bad this time of year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

I presume you mean in Meath?
    about the only place you can fly fish all year round is Rathbeggan lakes. few threads on here about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭surripere

Just discovered myself that up in N.Ireland the season closes on the 20th Oct. Otherwise there just be the fisheries about the place, most seem to be open year round, can't tell ye how they fish during the colder months though. Type in relevant county, followed by trout fisheries in google, that tends to do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Cloghan lake is open until Nov 30th, stocked with Brownies and Rainbows.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

Hugh Duff in Enniskerrry has opened a new fishery
    Its pretty good the rainbows are all in great shape and over 5 lbs.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Dunno why i tought you ment Meath, my bad:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Octopus

Owel open till 14th. Some of the other midland lakes also. Check Shannon regional fisheries board website. Good chance on Owel, well stocked with a chance of a wild fish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

This is a good time of year to try Wexford/Waterford for bass and pollack on the fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭wgsten

One place i'd recommend is Rathcon Fishery in Grangecon, Wicklow. It's a private fishery so is open all year round. Its a fabulous spot for a bit of flyfishing. I recently wrote a blog about it which you can find here

wgsten

www.irishflyfisher.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭ravey

Rathbeggan is open right through the winter. There are details of their new winter prices on another thread here. Well worth a look

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭wgsten

Was in Rathbeggan myself a couple of weeks ago. Here's how i found the experience. Had some success there.

www.irishflyfisher.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭ladybirdirl

Wow,great report. This Rathbeggan place looks really good,am going to go try check it out this weekend I think.

LB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

I was there my self a couple of weeks ago. Being somewhat of a novice fly fisher, I was using the wrong fly. Got talking to someone there and he told me to use a minnow as they were feeding aggressively under the water. As soon as I changed over, I must have had at least ten fish! Biggest was about 4lbs too. And one broke my 5lb leader as soon as it took the fly so I can only imagine how big that one was!

Great days sport.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Don't forget Corcagh Park and Annamoe

• Registered Users Posts: 45 ActionHank

I've heard that streets of Cork are filled with brownies... worth to give it a shot :pac:

Aaah ...Cork ... the new Venice !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 FishBum

rathcon is a great spot

Anyone fish Lough Aisling near Tullamore? I'm thinking of giving it a go on Friday and looking for some tips... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

yes bring a warm coat;) fly fishing in january! you must have it bad.:)

DVD-Lots wrote: »
    Anyone fish Lough Aisling near Tullamore? I'm thinking of giving it a go on Friday and looking for some tips... :D

Last Friday or next ...?

If you fish the side nearest the main road there's a ledge out a bit, expect more takes in proximity to that.
    On the far side, where the hut is, the farthest from the main road, it's deeper in close so the takes are more evenly spread during the retrieve.
    This time of year I'd fish freshwater shrimp (gammarus) and water louse (asellus) imitations. A hares ear or march brown is a passable imitation of both in the same fly.

Cheers Coolwings, going this Friday, hav the day off work so may as well get my fix in!!! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭kotva

What about co. galway?? Is the CLARE, and BLACK rivers ok for brownies??

Yes.
    There are clubs with waters for members only, and not all landowners allow fishing.
    So you would be wise to ask in the local tackle shop about permissions for the different areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭kotva

coolwings wrote: »
    Yes.
    There are clubs with waters for members only, and not all landowners allow fishing.
    So you would be wise to ask in the local tackle shop about permissions for the different areas.

yeah I know that, but is the february is good for fishing now?:)

I believe the season opens on March 1st for those rivers.

Advertisement