Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brian Cowen on Sky News

Options
  • 04-10-2009 11:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭

Brian Cowen just did a LIVE interview with Adam Boulton on Sky News. Why on earth our leader would agree to a LIVE interview with this man is beyond me. But he did, and he was made look like a fool. Any interview with a tabloid station like sky news should be pre-recorded and then scrutinised by a Government team! Every other country does that!!!!Our national pride is at stake!

Adam Boulton asked, can we take it that the Irish people will support Tony Blair if he runs for President of EU....

Strangely Cowen replied by saying that even though nobody knows who the candidates will be, they (the British) can take it that we will support Blair if he chooses to run!!!

Now surely the leader of our country should have said he will wait to see all the candidates and then make a judgement on who he thinks would be best for the job!! But no, Cowen just acted like Britains little lap-dog, saying he would blindly support Blair!!!

We really need to get rid of this joke of an unelected leader!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If the re-animated corpse of Adolf Hitler was put forward for President of EU Cowen would have said the same thing I presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

Cowen is typical of an Irish politician. Scared sh!tless to piss off the neighbours (any of them). Tell them what they want to hear and if they don't like it go back to them with the proper answer. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

DubTony wrote: »
    Cowen is typical of an Irish politician. Scared sh!tless to piss off the neighbours (any of them). Tell them what they want to hear and if they don't like it go back to them with the proper answer. :rolleyes:

Setting aside any question of whether one likes or supports Brian Cowen, it is simply bad politics and bad diplomacy to piss off the neighbours unnecessarily. Even if he thinks Tony Blair is a power junkie and a warmonger who should be driven out of public life, a television interview in the UK is not the proper place to advance such opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

Setting aside any question of whether one likes or supports Brian Cowen, it is simply bad politics and bad diplomacy to piss off the neighbours unnecessarily. Even if he thinks Tony Blair is a power junkie and a warmonger who should be driven out of public life, a television interview in the UK is not the proper place to advance such opinions.

I agree, however, I think you missed my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

That man should not be let loose on TV!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭lucky-colm

off all the political leaders in the world i think he looks desperate on tv and when he talks he is stutering and farting and just looks like a right ejit tis no wonder paisley refered to him as "rubber lips"

thanks be to god that i didn't see that interview on sky news i would have been like totally embarresed:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭Rondolfus

Setting aside any question of whether one likes or supports Brian Cowen, it is simply bad politics and bad diplomacy to piss off the neighbours unnecessarily.

Thats true, but good politicians can dodge giving a direct answer. He could have said something like " We'll judge all candidates equally and pick who we think is best for the job. Tony Blair would no doubt be a strong contender if he chooses to run."

Instead he just basically said no matter who the other candidates are, we'll support Blair. Talk about cringe!!

It may be bad diplomacy to piss off your neighbours but its bad politics to piss of your own people in your quest to please your neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Rondolfus wrote: »
    Thats true, but good politicians can dodge giving a direct answer. He could have said something like " We'll judge all candidates equally and pick who we think is best for the job. Tony Blair would no doubt be a strong contender if he chooses to run."

I mean, when Ahern was stepping down, we were all told by FF that we hadn't yet seen the "real" Cowen, that he was the brightest and most hard-working member of the FF parliamentary party.

One year into the recession and nothing real has been done to stabilise the economy, so if there's hard work being done, it's being squandered.

And the brightest? Well the brightest boy in the class would have realised that you don't waste a good crisis, and would have taken the axe to public-sector pay while people were still frightened. Now all the other world economies are beginning to recover and we're still right in the midst of a huge fiscal crisis.

Only Mary Coughlan would have been as inept in answering the above question. Even Willie O'Dea or Martin Cullen would have done a better job.

I think we've seen quite enough of the "real" Cowen... Next!

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

Pity sky didnt ask him what he is planning to do about the expenses scanndal in ireland .....we could learn a few things from the UK:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

fricatus wrote: »
    I mean, when Ahern was stepping down, we were all told by FF that we hadn't yet seen the "real" Cowen, that he was the brightest and most hard-working member of the FF parliamentary party.

Looking at the rest of the FF Parliamentary party, there's nothing to suggest this is not the case.
    This is only the latest in a run of cringeworthy interviews by Cowen, although to suggest that Cullen might have made a better stab at it is stretching it a bit.
    I wonder how many of those who voted yes in the referendum, might have had second thoughts if they knew that one of the first acts of the new EU would be to appoint this warmonger as their representative, with the wholehearted support of our Taoiseach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

President of the EU. Hmm fail. Perhaps you should wait until the contenders are known. It's called playing to the crowd. If a TV crew of any nationality asked the same question regarding one of their own he would have said the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

prinz wrote: »
    President of the EU. Hmm fail. Perhaps you should wait until the contenders are known. It's called playing to the crowd. If a TV crew of any nationality asked the same question regarding one of their own he would have said the same thing.

The difference being that Blair is the "chosen one" of Sarkozy and probably of Merkel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

mike65 wrote: »
    If the re-animated corpse of Adolf Hitler was put forward for President of EU Cowen would have said the same thing I presume.

Apoligies, but your Godwinian comparison is completely lost upon me.

bmaxi wrote: »
    The difference being that Blair is the "chosen one" of Sarkozy and probably of Merkel.

He is :confused:.. funnily enough the only place where Blair is being bigged up as a given for the job is the UK..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Is nobody else scared sh!tless that blair is may run for the job of eu president? Honestly? I see europe as a battle field for America and their enemies (everyone).

This whole lisbon treaty and lunatics like blair running for serious jobs, is a little too much to be honest.

Is nobody else scared sh!tless that blair is may run for the job of eu president? Honestly? I see europe as a battle field for America and their enemies (everyone).

This whole lisbon treaty and lunatics like blair running for serious jobs, is a little too much to be honest.

There's no such job as President of the EU, the job is President of the European Council, a job which Blair held twice before, and nobody batted an eyelid, the world didn't end and the sky didn't fall in. Do you know anything about the current President of the Council for instance? Does he have that big an influence on your life?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

turgon wrote: »
    Apoligies, but your Godwinian comparison is completely lost upon me.

It wouldn't matter who was being put forward, Biffo would rubber stamp
    it, thats all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

bmaxi wrote: »

She already said that she thinks that the president should be from a state that is part of the Euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

prinz wrote: »
    There's no such job as President of the EU, the job is President of the European Council, a job which Blair held twice before, and nobody batted an eyelid, the world didn't end and the sky didn't fall in. Do you know anything about the current President of the Council for instance? Does he have that big an influence on your life?

He will by 2014, thanks to our vote on Friday....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Is this on youtube? I could use a laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

Grow a f**king backbone Brian!!!!!:mad:

Advertisement