Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the average worker?

Options
  • 04-10-2009 12:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭

If I hear this phrase one more time, I'll crack up, often used by people to defend their own patch.

So who is the "average Irish worker" any how much do they earn?

is it €30K, €40K, €50K...€100K etc

Cos I see it used far too often in a lazy-man's argument.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

efb wrote: »
    If I hear this phrase one more time, I'll crack up, often used by people to defend their own patch.

So who is the "average Irish worker" any how much do they earn?

is it €30K, €40K, €50K...€100K etc

Cos I see it used far too often in a lazy-man's argument.

http://tinyurl.com/y9jbbxt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I know what the average industrial wage is, ta.

But the phrase in being used from people earning €30K to €100K! Hence my call for clarity on "what the average worker is" because its seldom used by to describe those actually on the Average Industrial Wage!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

"average worker" = union member.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Again, this is a thread that's not likely to really go anywhere. Clearly if there is such a thing as the "average worker" (as opposed to the median), then his/her attributes are statistically defined - otherwise, it depends on who's using the phrase. The latter is all the OP is pointing out, I think, so the thread has achieved its aim.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement