Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much damage did COIR do to the no side?

Options
  • 04-10-2009 12:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

Who's side were they actually on?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

my sig used to have the quote from Sam Vimes

something about the NO side compromising the far left, the far right, and the far out

;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

Unmeasurable damage, so much so, it was off the rictor scale. I despise Coir, not for their views, but for their scaremongering and deceit.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Well if they'd disclose where their funding came from we'd have a better idea =p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭granite man

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    my sig used to have the quote from Sam Vimes

something about the NO side compromising the far left, the far right, and the far out

;)

And what exactly is that meant to mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

They hugely damaged any logical and reasoned debate for a No vote for Lisbon II. Some of the stuff they came out with was pure dribble, not backed up at all, or just pure slant. I really, really, really do not like Coir at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

And what exactly is that meant to mean?

you asked whose side they are on

they are far out is the answer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

FF can earn back some respect from me if they shoehorn some pressure- and lobby-group legislation through before 2012. Absolutely ridiculous that anyone with an axe to grind can outright lie on posters etc, and I too want to know where the funding is coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

The moral of the story is that those who voted yes to Lisbon and those who voted no to Lisbon, get together and make sure that when Cóir run in a general election nobody votes for them :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

PaulieD wrote: »
    I despise Coir, not for their views, but for their scaremongering and deceit.

+1.

Except I also despise them for their views....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭glaston

And what about those posters from sinn fein?

A foot smashing down on a tractor? Like something from Nineteen Eighty-Four.

A picture of an armoured tank?

Mary Lou saying that people were frightened into voting yes.

All this coming from a marxist party that were until recently the most heavily armed terrorist group in Europe.

Comedy at its finest.

• Advertisement

Unmeasurable damage, so much so, it was off the rictor scale. I despise Coir, not for their views, but for their scaremongering and deceit.

Likewise. I tried to look at what is being pursued in a more historical manner and all I could see was elitism and a federal europe based on a defunct system. The treaty was written many years ago before the system collapsed and in my eyes is nothing more than a power grab. It turned pretty nasty the last time and that was just with conventional weapons. I hope I'm wrong but I fear the worst. I doubt COIR looked at this side of things.

It turned pretty nasty the last time and that was just with conventional weapons.

Say what now? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I am of the opinion that Cóir, horrible though they are, did influence a number of people to vote no, mainly through their minimum wage scare but also through some of their other lies and distortions.

I think that most of those who were repulsed by the Cóir campaign and who voted yes probably would have voted yes in any case.

In sum, my guess is that Cóir added a few percentage points to the no vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Likewise. I tried to look at what is being pursued in a more historical manner and all I could see was elitism and a federal europe based on a defunct system. The treaty was written many years ago before the system collapsed and in my eyes is nothing more than a power grab. It turned pretty nasty the last time and that was just with conventional weapons. I hope I'm wrong but I fear the worst. I doubt COIR looked at this side of things.

Well you lost me here. And it was going so well there for a bit.

glaston wrote: »

All this coming from a marxist party that were until recently the most heavily armed terrorist group in Europe.

Comedy at its finest.

This is about Coir my friend, not Sinn Fein. Start your own thread for Sinn Fein.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

Coir should be hunted down.

Everytime you tried to put forward a no point we got Coir, Libertas and every whackjob thrown in our faces.

False flag operation?

glaston wrote: »

Comedy at its finest.

Bar the British security forces.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

+1.

Except I also despise them for their views....

I do not despise anyone for their political views. We live in a democracy(supposedly).

As tempted as I was to step into that, don't mate. It's about Coir.

Someone should call B&Q because every axe in the country has been ground down to something as blunt as Mary Lou McDonald.

• Advertisement

prinz wrote: »
    Someone should call B&Q because every axe in the country has been ground down to something as blunt as Mary Lou McDonald.

And then they voted yes....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I do not despise anyone for their political views. We live in a democracy(supposedly).

And where did I say that I was against democracy?

They're perfectly entitled to express their views, I'm not trying to demand that they be silenced (though that does sound appealing). I'm just saying that I despise them and pretty much everything they stand for.

At this stage I think everyone does.
    The major problem with the no campaign was the division caused by muppets like coir and the fact the no side had no leadership and was run as a very inexperienced and unfunded peoples campaign. The only winners from this are Cowan and his overweight pampered buddies, not you and me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

The fact that Coir with their blatant lies and scaremongering was advocating a No vote was enough on it's own to make me want to vote Yes.

I believe they did a lot of damage for the No vote. They seemed to play a bigger role in the no campaign this time around as well.

I don't know how they got away with the lies they put on posters. I'd like to see some sort of investigation into Coir particularily the source of their funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

dresden8 wrote: »
    Coir should be hunted down.

Everytime you tried to put forward a no point we got Coir, Libertas and every whackjob thrown in our faces.

False flag operation?

Well it would be great to find out exactly where Cóir get the very large sums of money they spend on these campaigns.

Very unlikely to be a false flag operation as they really do seem to believe the shíte they spout. That said I wouldn't be at all surprised if they are funded from outside of Ireland or even Europe.
    At this stage I think everyone does.
    The major problem with the no campaign was the division caused by muppets like coir and the fact the no side had no leadership and was run as a very inexperienced and unfunded peoples campaign. The only winners from this are Cowan and his overweight pampered buddies, not you and me.

For an "unfunded peoples campaign" they somehow managed to have the majority of the posters round my way.

Advertisement