Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barroso: no scaremongering from the yes side

Options
  • 03-10-2009 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭

Saw a short interview on BBC News, where Barroso stated that the yes side did not engage in any scaremongering in their campaign. :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Saw a short interview on BBC News, where Barroso stated that the yes side did not engage in any scaremongering in their campaign. :rolleyes:

I think he actually said that the No side spread lies and scaremongering. I didn't hear him say that the yes side did not engage in scaremongering....that was in the interview I saw anyway...and to be fair you might have seen a different one.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

"Yes for Jobs" scared the bejaysus out of me, I love my dole.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

good at least someone has noticed that it was the no guys who used lies and fear to get people to vote no...fortunately they thought you could push the line even further than last year and it just became ridiculous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭procure11

Honestly John...Lets get over it!
    I voted No but majority of the Irish people voted in support of the treaty ( much to my dismay..I,ll admit) but we should respect that.

Admittedly both sides exhibted atrousious campaign tactics!

BUT.....

Posterity would determine which side of the debate was right!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

How can anyone say that some of the Yes posters were not misleading..?

The Ruin/Recovery one for instance was blatently made to misdirect people

Obviously most of the No posters were lies.. but that doesn't excuse the Yes side from using the same tactics

and it sure as hell doesn't excuse any Yes voter from denying the fact it happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Obviously most of the No posters were lies.. but that doesn't excuse the Yes side from using the same tactics

and it sure as hell doesn't excuse any Yes voter from denying the fact it happened.

I'm a Yes voter and I think many of the Yes campaign posters were a load of bo!!ocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,580 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Barrosso telling porkies again?
    It's a bit like how Arsene Weneger saying "I didn't see the incident", when one of his players commits a foul but manages to always be incensed by the antics of opposing players.

There were lies on both sides, the Yes campaign was just slicker and told lies that pulled on more peoples heart strings.
    It's hard to rememeber many Lisbon debates that actually discussed the treaty in any detail on either side.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

...and it sure as hell doesn't excuse any Yes voter from denying the fact it happened.

In fairness Barroso didn't. I saw the interview too. They asked him if he had seen misleading signs and IIRC he mentioned the minimum wage poster as he had seen it when he was in Limerick, simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

prinz wrote: »
    In fairness Barroso didn't. I saw the interview too. They asked him if he had seen misleading signs and IIRC he mentioned the minimum wage poster as he had seen it when he was in Limerick, simple as.

I think I might have seen a different interview/a different part of the interview. I was watching on BBC News 24 channel a few hours ago. Searched for a video online, but couldn't find anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Well fair enough, I didn't actually see the interview :)

Though I've seen some of our own 'lot' outright deny that any scaremongering took place during the Yes campaign while at the same time ridiculing (and rightly so) the misleading of various No campaigns

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Unfortunately they seen the posters last time and reacted.

Anyway, what is this fascination with posters. I know some get taken in, but the I'd like to think the vast majority don't.

From the interview I seen, he gave a politicians answer. He just deflected it and pointed out the No posters which was a fair response.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭constance tench

I heard that too, not on bbc though... he said it just before (more of a mumble) his comment on no side scaremongering.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I heard that too, not on bbc though... he said it just before (more of a mumble) his comment on no side scaremongering.

Would this have been so much of a mumble it actually crossed the line between reality and wishful thinking? Some Christmasses I swear I hear bells on the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭constance tench

Would this have been so much of a mumble it actually crossed the line between reality and wishful thinking? Some Christmasses I swear I hear bells on the roof.

No.. he said it for sure, i've been audio editing for 14 years

Advertisement