Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thermostat for Ideal Boiler

Options
  • 03-10-2009 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Hi, I have an Ideal boiler. It has 1 to 6 power setting.
    There is a timer switch beside which turn it on.

In the hall I have a thermostat which if set to number 8, heats the emersion and not the heating. It Works.

You can set the thermostat from 8 to 30. I do not think it works the way it should.

If I set the thermostat to 20, and turn up the boiler power to 5, the radiators get very hot, you cant even touch them. If I set the power to 1, they are fine and you can touch them.

Not sure if the role of the thermostat in the hall is only to select emersion or radiators of if it is broken.

I just want to be able to control the heating. Should I Install another thermostat beside the boiler? Any Ideas? thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭cmsp.plumber

the stat on the boiler controls the temp of the water in the heating system ie the rads. so the higher it is the hotter the rads and the more gas u use. 3-3.5 should be plenty. the stat in the hall works on air temp so when the rads heat the hall space to whatever u have it set at the boiler switches off. saving gas and money. set the room stat to 20-22C. and in the warmer month turn it down to 8C and youre boiler will just heat the water in the hot tank for you. using the boiler to heat the water is slightly cheaper than the immersion. and its working fine and how it should! hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭clvk07

That explain.... thanks... The problem is that in the hall the thermostat is close to the front door, and the temperature in there doesnt reflect the real temperature in the living room, kitchen or bedorooms... Could I install a thermostat where the switch/timer for the boiler is in the kitchen? maybe a digital one... thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭cmsp.plumber

yeah you could re-locate it no problem. u could pick up the cable going 2 the exsisting 1 and divert it 2 a new location

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭clvk07

yeah you could re-locate it no problem. u could pick up the cable going 2 the exsisting 1 and divert it 2 a new location

1. I opened the thermostat in the hall, and the label on the cover says connection 2 N and 3 L. There seems that the two cables going to these connections are both brown, is this right?

2.With a digital thermostat, will I still be able to heat the immersion if setting the temperature to 8?

2. Any suggestion on where to buy a cheap digital thermostat?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

clvk07 wrote: »
    1. I opened the thermostat in the hall, and the label on the cover says connection 2 N and 3 L. There seems that the two cables going to these connections are both brown, is this right?

Yes, they are both brown (live). The timer or mains goes to the thermostat first. If the temp that the stat senses is below the setting then the switch is closed and a live is fed back to the boiler and the boiler runs. The stat is simply a switch between the mains supply and the boiler.
    clvk07 wrote: »
    2.With a digital thermostat, will I still be able to heat the immersion if setting the temperature to 8?
    It depends on your setup. Ideally you need a zone valve which isolates the radiators if the thermostat in your hall is switched to open (no call for heat). In this instance only the hot water will heat. If you do not have a zone valve then the the hot water will not heat. From your original post it sounds like you do have a zone valve.

In any case, replacing the thermostat will have no effect on how the current system works as you are only replacing a switch that opens & closes at the set temperature.

You could always try C&F Quadrant or Heatmerchants - they usually stock a variety of thermostats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

if you don't have a supply at the stat(if the stat is switched through a timer)you might have a to use a 2-wire digital.
    i normally home-run 5-cores for stats for supply and contact(setpoint stat)

Advertisement