Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happens when/if the guarantees on the Lisbon Treaty fail to be ratified?

Options
  • 03-10-2009 10:26pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

What happens if the guarantees protocol is defeated? Do we retract ratification of Lisbon? Or do our leaders say "ah well" and ratify the treaty anyway? We were told that we must vote again as our government obtained "guarantees" from Brussels. If they are defeated, on that basis, then surely the result is null and void.

I am interested in legal interpretation on this.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

bleg wrote: »
    You should be happy, the more influence Europe has over Ireland the better. I'd rather to have Brussels running the country than that useless shower of clowns in the Dail.

Insane logic. Have Fianna Fail sapped the will of the Irish people to govern themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Emm,

These were legally guaranteed..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,185 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

PaulieD wrote: »
    What happens if the guarantees protocol is defeated? Do we retract ratification of Lisbon? Or do our leaders say "ah well" and ratify the treaty anyway? We were told that we must vote again as our government obtained "guarantees" from Brussels. If they are defeated, on that basis, then surely the result is null and void.

Guarantees wrote:
    (iii) the Decision is legally binding and will take effect on the date of entry into force of the Treaty of Lisbon;

There ya go.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Malty_T wrote: »
    Emm,

These were legally guaranteed..:)

They need to be included in the next treaty before they become binding. The OP is asking what if, in the unlikely event, this backfires. Interesting question.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

What are you talking about :confused:... the guarantees are inextricably linked to Lisbon. If Lisbon isn't ratified then no guarantees, why would we need them?
    If Lisbon is ratified then the guarantees are well guaranteed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,185 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Sully wrote: »
    They need to be included in the next treaty before they become binding. The OP is asking what if, in the unlikely event, this backfires. Interesting question.

That is not the case at all....see my previous post with a direct reference to the text of the Guarantees.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

They need to be included in the next treaty before they become binding..

No, they're legally binding as soon as Lisbon is ratified. Including them in the next Treaty as a protocol is just tidying up messy paperwork. They will already be legally binding before that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

What next treaty? They are guaranteed when this treaty comes into effect.

Edit : Dam you Prinz and Namloc

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭cyberwit

PaulieD wrote: »

I think your question is slightly wrong firstly the legally binding guarantees are not in the treaty they are simply guarantees that state the lisbon treaty does not affect our stance of neutrality, abortation and taxiation, and we will keep our commissioner they will be lodged with the UN and put in as a future protocol in a future treaty e.g. maybe when croatia or iceland joins. According to the yes side the EU has never gone back on any guarantees given to a member state. Now if the lisbon treaty is not ratified by all member states (poland, czech republic) then it cant come into force and the nice treaty still applys then the guarantees can be honoured but on a treaty that does not exsist.

That is how i view the situtation i am not political or know much about law just a student so i could be wrong

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Jesus, my bad. I thought, while legally binding, it came into full force under the next treaty as a protocol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

not really since the guarantees are guaranteeing something thats not in the lisbon treaty at all. so even if they would not be legally binding nothing would happen, because lisbon won't affect any of the things in the guarantees.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Jesus, my bad. I thought, while legally binding, it came into full force under the next treaty as a protocol.

They're legally binding, and come into force on ratification of Lisbon. However, they will not have equivalent legal force to the EU treaties until they are attached to the treaties as Protocols in the next accession treaty.

As pointed out, and as has been stated in various legal analyses, a conflict between the guarantees and the treaties would, until they become protocols, go in favour of the treaties - but, as stated in the same legal analyses, there isn't a conflict between them.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Advertisement