Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a blood screening...how and where?

Options
  • 03-10-2009 8:53pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Apologies if this thread is in the wrong forum, it seemed most appropriate to place it in here. I have wanted to get a screening done for quite a while now but did not know how to. My interest would be in quality of blood/oxyhaemoglobin (if that is done?), mineral/nutrient levels (as i'm a vegetarian who excercises alot) and actually find out my blood grouping. Now about the way of getting it done, i dont think my gp does this and i'm in Dublin city centre close to St. James hospital...will i get sent there maybe?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,680 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Blood grouping isnt done as a standard test on most people. Though it IS done as standard on all blood donors, so that's a feel good way of getting it done without much hassle. Talk to your doctor about getting it done, if he doesnt normally take samples, he will send you to someone that does it on his behalf.

During a full blood count (fbc) haemoglobin levels are measured, but not specifically oxyhaemoglobin levels. If you want to know your oxygen saturation levels you'll have to find some one with an oximeter, try your doctor again, or join a voluntary first aid organisation (they have some cool equipment for use in emergencies).

Vitamin levels arent generally done, they're expensive and not the most useful of tests as the normal ranges are massive. for the most part, vitamin deficiencies will be spotted at the clinical stage. Minerals are likewise not commonly done (although serum iron, calcium, magnesium, phosphates are often done as part of specific batteries of biochemical tests).

Again, talk to your gp, but many of these sorts of tests are unnessecary unless you have a genuine problem with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭drzhivago

Apologies if this thread is in the wrong forum, it seemed most appropriate to place it in here. I have wanted to get a screening done for quite a while now but did not know how to. My interest would be in quality of blood/oxyhaemoglobin (if that is done?), mineral/nutrient levels (as i'm a vegetarian who excercises alot) and actually find out my blood grouping. Now about the way of getting it done, i dont think my gp does this and i'm in Dublin city centre close to St. James hospital...will i get sent there maybe?

No need to even know your blood group in the main, when you lose blood your own blood is tested each time in hospital to make sure the transfusion is a perfect match so knowing i advance you are A, B O or whatever doesnt save any time so most people never know, exception being females who get i checked when pregnant to screen for rhesus status

No measure of Quality of Blood

If you gte a full blood count you get your hemoglobin level, for most tahst all you need to knwo, this carries the Oxygen, you will find if yours is in range or not. Depending on type of vegetarian (ie vegan) your HB may be slightly lower than normal but easily supplemented
    OXyhemoglobin of no relevance to anyone as it changes from minute to minute, only people who really need to know this are serious athletes and their exercise scientists, they find out if they are aerobically or anaerobically metabolising.

for me or average joe means nothing

An important one would be carboxyhemoglobin, some people have chronic headaches, one of the simple causes can be poorly functioning flue on their gas supply at home, getting carbon monoxide levels in house will check with or carboxyhemoglobin in blood shortly after you leave house

As others have said vitamin and mineral levels mainly irrelevant, the important minerals potassium, sodium, calcium magnesium, chloride can be done on a simple blood test, others are expensive and less relevant

Advertisement