Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a website designed

Options
  • 03-10-2009 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭

Im looking to get a website designed . I will need people to be able to purchase items over it etc..

can any1 here recommend some1 that doesnt charge the earth and is good?

i have heard people throw figures og between 150 and 2000 euro for what seems to be the same thing, can any1 offer some help/advice?

thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Well, for a start there'll be no "designing" involved in the €150 version, it'll be an out-of-the-box templated system - end of story.

You'd need to provide a proper spec of what you want in order for any reputable company to come up with a remotely accurate quote, rather than a throwaway phrase like "I will need people to be able to purchase items over it etc.."; what is "etc" supposed to mean ? And what options will be available to purchase items ? And what format do you currently have your catalogue in ? And do you have photos, etc, of the products already, in a suitable digital format ?

€2,000 sounds about right, but if there aren't many options per product (e.g. t-shirts would include sizes and colours, with the option of seeing each) and if you have the content in a suitable format, ready to go, you might manage it for €1,300 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

well its for a t-shirt website. there will be about 30 prints, different sizes/colours.

Im not mad on using paypal, is it possible to integrate the site with a credit card terminal?

I got a quote of 495 for an''e-commerce website'' but id say it is out of the box job, but that doesnt bother me as long as my logo it there, it doesnt look cheap and it works well.

the crowd i got the quote off is 24.ie
    see link, any1 know anything about them?

http://www.24.ie/index.php?p=2

thanks

cojomo2 wrote: »
    well its for a t-shirt website. there will be about 30 prints, different sizes/colours.
    Liam Byrne wrote: »
    €2,000 sounds about right, but if there aren't many options per product (e.g. t-shirts would include sizes and colours, with the option of seeing each)

:eek: Hire me to do it - I'm obviously psychic! ;):D

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    :eek: Hire me to do it - I'm obviously psychic! ;):D

Well then you also probably know Im on a very tight budget! Interested:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

Tight budget = Paypal + Templates

If you want a unique design, your own credit card solution etc you are looking at 2k+ easily

Keep in mind, with real time credit card processing you have extra costs including a secure server and merchant costs (Realex setup, monthly fees, merchant bank account fees etc) on top of your basic hosting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭HandWS LTD

24.ie have obviously got loads of errors on their website. So the chances are that you will also get them.

If you spend a few quid on the design and features, as well as making the site as SEO friendly as possible, it will pay dividends in terms of bringing people to the site and converting them to customers. I'd say look at spending 2K+, maybe starting with Paypal of Google checkout to start, and add a gateway like Realex later if demand justifies it.

An out-of-the-box "one size fits all" solution is likely to make you make your business adapt to the solution, as opposed to a custom solution adapted to suit your business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Guys I really, really do not want to see spamming on this forum. Please familiarise yourselves with the rules in the charter about advertising or asking for work. I'm removing references for now, but anyone else is getting an infraction.

This is the one and only warning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Nicecube

I would agree with the comments above, I would recommend spending the money on an attractive design and integrating a standard shopping cart using paypal or similar for now, then as SBS mentioned, upgrading to a merchant account later if need be...

I think as its for a tshirt company, first impressions would be very important, consider your target market and dont just go with the cheapest quote...have a look at the leading tshirt design company websites and you will see what I mean.

Good luck with it.
    Paul

Nicecube wrote: »
    I would agree with the comments above, I would recommend spending the money on an attractive design and integrating a standard shopping cart using paypal or similar for now, then as SBS mentioned, upgrading to a merchant account later if need be...

I think as its for a tshirt company, first impressions would be very important, consider your target market and dont just go with the cheapest quote...have a look at the leading tshirt design company websites and you will see what I mean.

Good luck with it.
    Paul

Thanks for the advice. Id like to be in a position to spend a a bit but unfortunately I'm not! I run a t-shirt shop, the rent is through the wall with no sign of a reduction being granted, so funds are tight.

I currently have a credit card terminal in my shop, is it expensive to integrate this into a website to take payment? I dont mind having paypal as an extra option, but not the the only option.

I had a look at the sample sites 24.ie have done , none of them actually sell on line, they are just for information purposes, and to be honest I'm not that impressed by them.

I guy i used to know runs a website http://www.eolien.net , the site looks good, I remember him telling me it was very cheap...is this site what you would call a template, or 'out of the box site'? I'd like something along the same line.

Any advice appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭jollygood

see www.lost.ie and www.parkit.ie - the guy who designed them is excellent.

thanks, looks good.

Can any give me info regarding integrating a creditcard terminal with a website to take payment? Is it possible?expensive?

Im just not mad on paypal, i dont like the way it takes you out of the site you are in, and into theirs to take payment.

Also some people may think if they dont have a pp account then thay cant pay using them..not to mention they are pricey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭eamo127

I'd recommend the guys that done my site - telcojobs.eu. Irish (Clare) based and reasonable price but great designers. You can find them at atlantictechnology.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

cojomo2 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice. Id like to be in a position to spend a a bit but unfortunately I'm not! I run a t-shirt shop, the rent is through the wall with no sign of a reduction being granted, so funds are tight.
    The thing you need to remember is that with any Web development outfit (be it a big consultancy or one man nixer) you are paying for two things - seniority and time.

Seniority is a measure of the developer/designer's experience, professionalism and talent. The higher this is the better your final product will be and the lower the chances that you end up with a white elephant that only half works.

Time is the other important factor in that Webdev is a service based industry. As such, with the exception of domain names, software licences and hosting, the vast bulk of the price will be the time taken to build it.

As such designing a site from scratch can take lots on man-hours and so if you want to get it done cheap you either need to find someone who is willing to work below minimum wage or they'll have to cut corners - typically with templates and out-of-the-box solutions.

eamo127 wrote: »
    I'd recommend the guys that done my site - telcojobs.eu. Irish (Clare) based and reasonable price but great designers. You can find them at atlantictechnology.ie

looks very well, do you mind me asking how much that cost you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭eamo127

That site did cost a bit as it's got bags of features, auto responders etc. built in. But I know someone who wanted a more basic site and was charged about 500.

i have been informed that it is possible to bet an ecommerce website built from India for about 20% of what it would cost here, apparently a fair amount of people are doing this.

any1 here know of any1 that has gone this route?

thanks

The old "outsourcing" debate raises it's head again.

Yes, mortgages and overheads in India are much lower, and yes that's not really important to your bottom line.

However - I can speak as someone who got re-commissioned to rebuild a site properly after it was originally outsourced (complete with code comments in a foreign language which ensured that there was no chance of extending it or whatever).

Basically, it'll require a LOT more organisation and effort on your part, plus the support won't be on the other end of the phone.

Horses for courses, though; if you know precisely what you want, are familiar enough with web technologies, and you spec it to a "T" so that the language barrier has no effect, and project manage it, it's possible.

I will say one thing, though, and I don't mean it in a snide way, just a 100% factual way; I'd hope for your business' sake that there isn't a t-shirt website in India selling the t-shirts for 20% of your prices, because if there is then the "need a t-shirt" threads will have similar posts to yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

As the saying goes, you get what you pay for and good quality costs a little more money and with good reason. If you need a simple site with a phone number then go with one of the cheap outfits, but if you are selling something to a very discerning public you have to please them at every turn and make it as inviting/easy as possible for them to part with their cash.

Don't make the mistake most people in this country make and completely undervalue good web development and design. Your website is, after all, their window on your world and you have to make sure it's **** hot before anyone will touch it.

Learn about the importance of things like good design, usability, seo, accessibility, page download optimisation, server setup, semantic and valid html because these are things that are important when it comes to websites and they are things that most of the cheaper outfits don't know anything about.

If you are setting up a business online, expect to pay at least €6k to have a site professionaly developed and designed. Good luck with it.

ps: Mods, can we sticky a list of professional web design outfits at the top of this thread to educate and guide people ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I really like the layout of the telcojobs.eu site. I'd love to know how to create layouts and templates like that. Haven't a clue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement