Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets start cuts here with cuts?

Options
  • 03-10-2009 6:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭

The salary paid annually to the Taoiseach is €310,000.
    This is before any additonals.... such as expense and allowances. :eek:

How much of a wage cut should he take and all the others?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Clare_Guy

caseyann wrote: »

To be honest, I don't think anyone in the public sector should earn anymore than €150,000 per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

He should be given a 100% cut

a.k.a 'The sack'

Mad_Max wrote: »

a.k.a 'The sack'

Even if he got "the sack" from the position of Taoiseach, he'd still be earning over €100,000 as a TD :mad:

And even if this was a perfect world and he could get "the sack" from politics completely, he'd still be entitled to his multiple, index linked, linked to bench-marking and future pay increases, pensions!....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Clare_Guy wrote: »
    To be honest, I don't think anyone in the public sector should earn anymore than €150,000 per year.

Totally agree majority of the expenses they take along with wages is a disgrace.There should be a party to over see such things and to control their expenses within reason.

Mad_Max wrote: »

a.k.a 'The sack'

He isnt going to get the sack now with yes side winning.If he cared about this country and the people they would all volunteer a huge decrease in their wages and expenses.

• Advertisement

Totally agree majority of the expenses they take along with wages is a disgrace.There should be a party to over see such things and to control their expenses within reason.

A party? Hell, I'd be happy if they just had to drop in their receipts like everybody in the private sector has to...

A party? Hell, I'd be happy if they just had to drop in their receipts like everybody in the private sector has to...

Yep an outside group who have nothing to do with the Dáil,for the people and against fat cats who swallow up a gross amount of the countries finances.
    They need to be controlled start cuts with him and work down the line pull in their belts and make them lose some weight:D

How do the Irish people go about such a thing? There must be a way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭MrMicra

he should take a 250,000 pay cut. on a performance related basis he would be paying us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

The Dail, in its entirety, should be paid a percentage of GDP. When things are good they get a lot and when they're bad they take a cut just like everyone else. Let them sort it out between themselves who gets what?

edit: I can already see the folly in this argument. Maybe a percentage of the tax take would be better.

re-edit: Nah! That's ridiculous. Never mind. Where's the Delete button?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

We're always hearing about how our costs are out of line with a competitors, so why not go around the EU and find out what the countries with a similar population pay their prime minister and base Cowen's salary on that. Good times or bad, there's no way we should be paying the sort of wage that the leaders of the G7 countries earn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

i think €150,000 is too much

public sector wages should be capped at €100,000 imo (as a public sector worker)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Helix wrote: »
    i think €150,000 is too much

public sector wages should be capped at €100,000 imo (as a public sector worker)

So what happens after every hospital consultant walks away?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Maybe all wages should be capped at 100k :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

We do the same thing as we did in the 80s with the nurses and open the doors to healthcare professionals from south and southeast asia. The consultants can walk away, but where will they go? Good luck to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

+1

it is redicolous to expect consultants to go from 220 k per year to 100 k , not everyone is equally talented so thier has to be different levels of numerical reward otherwise the cream would never rise to the top , they should however take a 20% pay cut this year and another 15% over the next two years , the head of rte , aer riant , esb , bord gais , bus eireann etc, all theese need to take a 35% pay cut , guards and nurses need to take a 10% pay cut this year and another 10% next year , the same with teachers , theese three profession are grossly over paid by international standards but politicians need to do the most pennance and as a token gesture , every single one of them including the taosieach should take a 50% pay cut , local td,s could be hit less hard but seriously ,thier is a crisis of confidence in our political establishment , we need those at the top to show leadership and real patriotism , otherwise , how can the citizens be expected to sweat and bleed for ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

The tax receipts the government are receiving are around the 2004 mark. (Is this correct?)

Therefore all public sector employee's wages should be reduced to what they would have earned in 2004.

Simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

GaNjaHaN wrote: »
    The tax receipts the government are receiving are around the 2004 mark. (Is this correct?)

Therefore all public sector employee's wages should be reduced to what they would have earned in 2004.

Simple as.

How about All Payments from the public purse scaled back to 2004 levels ?

I mean include unemployment / social welfare, pensions, payments to doctors for medical card patients etc etc

To balance the scales All Pay agreements for the private sector also scaled back to 2004 levels.

Would that help Ireland to become a cost efficient country for multi nationals to invest in once again ?

Discuss.............

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

How about All Payments from the public purse scaled back to 2004 levels ?

I mean include unemployment / social welfare, pensions, payments to doctors for medical card patients etc etc

To balance the scales All Pay agreements for the private sector also scaled back to 2004 levels.

Would that help Ireland to become a cost efficient country for multi nationals to invest in once again ?

Discuss.............

I'll give a careless 'ah sure yeah why not' response to your post. :)
    We can't afford the 2008 public sector that was funded by the pyramid scheme property boom. We can only afford to pay 2004 wages. Everybody knows cuts need to be made.
    I think a blanket, once off, revert to 2004 wages for the public sector is the 'least unfair' way to do this.

Minimum wage and social welfare too.

The books need to be balanced.
    A budget in December that sticks to a 'back to 2004' theme in my (by absolutely no means expert :)) opinion seems to be a good, or a least bad, way to make critically necessary changes.

The private sector will need to deflate as well. This is currently being done in a draconian, messy, survival of the fittest manner.
    I don't think it would. However it might help to slow down the exodus of multi nationals to Eastern Europe.
    The way forward for Ireland is the creation of home grown, export focused companies. Whether or not this government will be able to create momentum for this to happen is another discussion. (I don't think they're up to the challenge.)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

1. Arts Council - Director Salary: €114,366
    2. Bord Bia - CEO Salary: €151,261
    3. Bord Gáis - CEO Salary: in the range of €237,660 to €297,024.
    4. Bord Iascaigh Mhara - CEO Salary: €121,919
    5. Bord na Móna - Managing director €301,000

6. Pensions Board - CEO Salary: €150,717
    7. Bord Pleanála - CEO Salary: €220,348
    8. Breast Check - CEO Salary: €139,761
    9. Broadcasting Commission of Ireland - CEO Salary: Unavailable
    10. CIE Group - Group executive chairman: John Lynch Salary €264,990

11. Central Fisheries Board - CEO Salary: office did not reveal salary
    12. Coillte - CEO Remuneration: €409,000
    13. Commission for Aviation Regulation - Commissioner Salary: €203,379
    14. Commission for Energy Regulation - Commissioner Salary: €169,415
    15. Commission for Communications Regulation - Chairman Salary: €169,415

16. Commission for Taxi Regulation - Commissioner Salary: "I am not at liberty to disclose such information."
    17. Competition Authority - Chair Salary: unavailable
    18. The Digital Hub - CEO Salary: €187,000
    19. Dublin Airport Authority - CEO Remuneration: €698,000 (source: 2007 annual report; Salary: €333,000, bonus: €167,000, fees: €17,000, Pension contribution and other taxable benefits €181,000)
    20. Dublin Docklands Development Authority - CEO Salary: €151,261

21. Dublin Port Company - CEO Salary: unavailable
    22. Dublin Transportation Office - CEO Salary: €136,581
    23. ESB - CEO Remuneration: €534,998
    24. Enterprise Ireland - CEO Salary: €222,488
    25. Environmental Protection Agency - Director general Salary: €177,547

26. The Equality Authority - CEO Salary: €147,000
    27. Fás - Director general: Rody Molloy - Salary: €212,000-€222,488
    28. Food Safety Authority of Ireland - CEO Salary: €154,775
    29. Forfás - CEO Salary: €212,000-€222,488
    30. Health and Safety Authority - CEO Salary: €158,644

31. Health Information and Quality Authority - CEO Salary: €199,502
    32. Health Research Board - CEO Remuneration : €143,192
    33. Health Service Executive - CEO Salary: €358,000
    34. Higher Education Authority - CEO Salary: €131,748-€150,712
    35. Horse Racing Ireland - CEO Salary: €163,000

36. Housing Finance Agency - CEO Salary: €126,000
    37. Human Rights Commission - President Salary: €237,000
    38. IDA Ireland - CEO Salary: €201,683
    39. Irish Aviation Authority - CEO Remuneration : €350,000
    40. Bord na gCon - CEO Salary: €155,833

41. Irish Blood Transfusion Service - CEO Salary: €167,979.50
    42. Irish Sports Council - CEO Salary: €114,366
    43. National Consumer Agency - CEO Salary: unavailable
    44. National Lottery - CEO Salary: €276,000
    45. National Treasury Management Agency - CEO Salary: €980,000

46. National Roads Authority - CEO Salary: not publicly available
    47. An Post - CEO Remuneration: €414,000
    48. Rail Procurement Agency - CEO Remuneration: €268,000
    49. Teagasc - Director Salary: €151,261 + bonus
    50. VHI - CEO Remuneration: €297,000

Just some more to add to the thread.
    It speaks for itself:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

irish_bob wrote: »
    +1

it is redicolous to expect consultants to go from 220 k per year to 100 k , not everyone is equally talented so thier has to be different levels of numerical reward otherwise the cream would never rise to the top ,
    This is a common misunderstanding I feel. The best paid jobs tend to attract people who want the best pay, not those who are best at that job. What usually happens is you get the talented ones drowned out in a sea of noise from the ones who just went into it to get rich. They'll take that pay cut, there are plenty of others just as talented who'd be delighted to get paid half as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

They could start by making the Dail the place of work for all TD's this would mean that they could not claim travel expenses from home to the Dail - just like the rest of the population, this would cut down the expenses bill considerably. The next thing they could do is to get rid of the stupidly high civil service mileage rate and replace it with a more sensible one linked to the actual cost of fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

The CEO of the IDA, one part of the Irish public sector that probably is world class and and is admired internationally is paid quite a bit less than the likes of the leader of CIE or the RPA who provide a service that is by no means leading internationally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    This is a common misunderstanding I feel. The best paid jobs tend to attract people who want the best pay, not those who are best at that job. What usually happens is you get the talented ones drowned out in a sea of noise from the ones who just went into it to get rich. They'll take that pay cut, there are plenty of others just as talented who'd be delighted to get paid half as well.

not so much in this country when it comes to doctors , not only is the doctor fraternity in ireland the biggest clique in the land , they are also an inherently greedy bunch

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Sea08

Breast Check - CEO Salary: €139,761

:eek: €139,761 To Check Breasts??

I'm off to work on my C.V.

...mutter...mutter...warm hands...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Not a particularly constructive thread. When we open the "Whingeing" sub-forum, on the other hand...

moderately,
    Scofflaw

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement