Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical file

Options
  • 03-10-2009 5:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hi
    Is it possible to request a copy of your medical file, including x-ray's, from your hostpital? If so does it take long? Is there a fee?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

yes, you write to the hospital and state you are requesting your file under teh freedom of information act. not sure how long it takes, i know they have to reply within a certain timeframe but i dont know what that is. as far as i know its free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭scubasteve

Thanks Sam. Will the x-rays be included?

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Just state everything you want and include your X-rays. It needs to be sent to the Medical Records/Health Care Records Dept and be sure you include your full name, address, dob, ph number & your chart number if you know it (you'd be surprised the amount of people who don't include that info) and it should be free, but some hositals may charge you for photocopying & post etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

sam34 wrote: »
    yes, you write to the hospital and state you are requesting your file under teh freedom of information act. not sure how long it takes, i know they have to reply within a certain timeframe but i dont know what that is. as far as i know its free.

No there can be a nominal fee.
    scubasteve wrote: »

If you ask for them
    ChewChew wrote: »
    Medical Records/Health Care Records Dept

Yup thems the folks to send it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭scubasteve

Thats great. Thanks for your help everyone :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

does this apply to GP's records as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

yes, you are entitled to get this too. apply in the same way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

scubasteve wrote: »
    There is a fee for copy x-rays payable to the x-ray department, where I work it's €35.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭GER12

You can apply for your records from a hospital - under Section 7 of FOI if the institution is registered. If not, you then apply for access to your records under Data Privacy. Your GP records would come under data privacy and the cost is €6.35 (for exact cost look on data commissioners website). Timelines for responding to access to records requests can be got from Data Protection Commissioner and Freedom of Information Commissioner's website. There may also be photocopying expenses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Spootie

Hospital records can be accessed of ways, by routine admin access, Freedom of Information or under Data protection. You should contact the hospital to see which method would be quickest/most appropriate in your case.

• Advertisement
Advertisement