Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So when will we see a survey done on why people voted yes...

Options
  • 03-10-2009 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭

...followed by a clarification of all the lies spread by the yes side and another referendum?

I mean hey, that's how democracy works in this country, right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

True there should be and if it turns out that we voted yes for reasons that were completely misinformed or because we 'didn't know what it was about' then serious questions will have to be asked.

This, however, is not the case I feel. People were far better informed this time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Why don't you kick it off yourself, or lobby your TD to bring it up in the Dáil.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

we can have one here? would make for a good thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Furious-Dave

...followed by a clarification of all the lies spread by the yes side and another referendum?

Ah who cares really. We got our Yes and that's all that matters! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

I'm not sure when there'll be a poll or survey or whatever but I expect the same level of study into the reasons for voting no and yes. I think Fine Gael did an exit poll yesterday but not sure if it was on anything other than did you vote yes or no.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

No it isn't actually.

On the other question there will probably be a Eurabarometer poll in a few weeks / months as there always is. If on the grounds of that people feel the urge to elect a government at the next election, that will hold another referendum, then I will be more than happy to give Europe a Yes vote once again*.

* And I won't whinge about it either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭rumour

Ah who cares really. We got our Yes and that's all that matters! :D

Your antics will not be lost on our european neighbours

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

You go get assurances that the treaty means we will have abortion, 1.84 minimum wage and have to join Nato and I'd be happy to have a rerun... cos to be fair, thats what the Yes side did after the last time...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

DeVore wrote: »
    You go get assurances that the treaty means we will have abortion, 1.84 minimum wage and have to join Nato and I'd be happy to have a rerun... cos to be fair, thats what the Yes side did after the last time...

DeV.

And what if I got assurances instead that Lisbon won't bring more jobs into the country, and that we wouldn't be kicked out of the EU or end up in a two tiered Europe, that the economy wouldn't have completely crashed without Lisbon? I mean that's the sort of disinformation and scaremongering lies that people voted on the back of this time...

DeV.

Fine just agree to the referendum first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Want my answer?

I am a supporter of a Federal Europe and Lisbon paves the way to that.

Muhahahahahahahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

rumour wrote: »
    Fine just agree to the referendum first.

Eh no. Guarantees first, then referendum. Just like this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

And what if I got assurances instead that Lisbon won't bring more jobs into the country, and that we wouldn't be kicked out of the EU or end up in a two tiered Europe, that the economy wouldn't have completely crashed without Lisbon? I mean that's the sort of disinformation and scaremongering lies that people voted on the back of this time...

yes if you managed to get those guarantees and if it turned out that these were the reasons why people voted yes, then i'd welcome a second referendum.

tbh i'd welcome another referendum next year anyway, we'll have our annual irish referendum and see which side is more clever with the lies they put out there. so far no is winning by far:D

prinz wrote: »
    Eh no. Guarantees first, then referendum. Just like this time.

?????? Check facts...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,603 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

It wont happen when the "man" has got what he wants.
    End of.
    Thats democracy in action, EU style.

Glazers Out!

nullzero wrote: »
    It wont happen when the "man" has got what he wants.
    End of.
    Thats democracy in action, EU style.

yes i also hate that faceless individual who is controlling the eu and everyone around and making us do whatever he wants, man. we should take him down! power to the people, man!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Mario007 wrote: »
    yes i also hate that faceless individual who is controlling the eu and everyone around and making us do whatever he wants, man. we should take him down! power to the people, man!!!

who President Václav Klaus? :D

Funny.
    Thanks for taking my post out of context.

Glazers Out!

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    who President Václav Klaus? :D

haha ya, i don't like him either too much:D thats what happens when an economist is trying to read an international treaty and accepts an offer for help and interpretation from a shady business from ireland with a british passport :D

Funny.
    Thanks for taking my post out of context.

i didn't i just pointed out that it sounds like a big conspiracy theory to me. the eu isn't 'them', it's 'us'. people across europe should learn that. their head of states formulate the policy of the eu and the way in which it shall go forward, and all is done by consensus, which is something extraordinary!

btw passing lisbon was a government concern, it was in the programme for government, it was something they got their mandate for.... so its not the evil eu making us do things...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,185 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

i didn't i just pointed out that it sounds like a big conspiracy theory to me. the eu isn't 'them', it's 'us'. people across europe should learn that. their head of states formulate the policy of the eu and the way in which it shall go forward, and all is done by consensus, which is something extraordinary!

btw passing lisbon was a government concern, it was in the programme for government, it was something they got their mandate for.... so its not the evil eu making us do things...

And wait until Emperor Blair takes control :eek::pac:

Well how it sounded to you doesn't capture what I actually meant.
    It was a simple smart ass comment, not a suggestion of conspiracy or anything else you might like to suugest I meant.
    I don't mid that you took the piss, I just hate smart bastards putting words in my mouth. Not really a very nice thing to do is it really?

Glazers Out!

Well how it sounded to you doesn't capture what I actually meant.
    It was a simple smart ass comment, not a suggestion of conspiracy or anything else you might like to suugest I meant.
    I don't mid that you took the piss, I just hate smart bastards putting words in my mouth. Not really a very nice thing to do is it really?

in that case i apologize. it did sound to me like a bit of conspiracy theory and frankly i've heard enough these days(even one that eu army can start a crusade against the muslims) so thus i reacted in a fashion as i did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

Out of curiosity, would any of the No means No crowd agree that the result more than justifies holding a second referendum?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,351 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

quick question to all the no people wanting another referendum, i'm assuming some of you voted for FF in the last general/european elections.

you voted in people who are blatantly pro europe you cant really complain if they push for a result they want to see, its like donegal voting no but pat the cope got in wtf ?
    if we had a blatantly no gov. would they be so eager to rerun the referendum, prob not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

marco_polo wrote: »
    No it isn't actually.

On the other question there will probably be a Eurabarometer poll in a few weeks / months as there always is. If on the grounds of that people feel the urge to elect a government at the next election, that will hold another referendum, then I will be more than happy to give Europe a Yes vote once again*.

* And I won't whinge about it either

And what government, exactly, is that?

And besides which, even though I thought Lisbon should not have been passed, I would not elect a government whose sole intention was to overturn the democratic will of the people. If Lisbon turns out to be bad for Ireland, and even if people made their decision based on the false promise of jobs, well - that's their problem.

quick question to all the no people wanting another referendum, i'm assuming some of you voted for FF in the last general/european elections.

you voted in people who are blatantly pro europe you cant really complain if they push for a result they want to see, its like donegal voting no but pat the cope got in wtf ?
    if we had a blatantly no gov. would they be so eager to rerun the referendum, prob not.

I voted for FF for the economy and social policy that is their main manifesto backdrop.

Also, didn't want Labour in government (taxes and social policy).

Didn't care whether or not Fine Gael was in government - but it wouldn't get a majority or form a coalition with PDs.

Also didn't think it was fair to vote in Fine Gael when FF had been instrumental in the development of the Celtic Tiger (even though I was a tad concerned about the property bubble). Besides which, Fine Gael is always whinging.

What has that got to do with Europe? Nothing.

One thing though -

It should probably be made illegal for parties to lie in a referendum such as this (where the winner is decided by who was the best lies)

The yes side: slick lies funded by lots of money
    The no side: bizarre lies and scaremongering

I always said, though, that E1.84 was a campaign losing slogan.
    Mind you, the mention of 'jobs' was always likely to produce a yes vote.

For men were born to pray and save,
    Romantic Ireland's dead and gone,
    It's with Micheal O Leary on the make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

DeV.

Actually what the Yes side did last time was analyse why the majority voted the way they did, found that the reasons a lot had voted No had little to do with the treaty, then went to the EU to get clarification on these reasons.

So, if you take the same principle, this time around we should analyse why the majority voted the way they did, and find a lot voted on misguiding and scaremongering reasons like "Yes to Jobs", "Yes to Europe", and "Yes to Recovery", then go to the EU with these reasons and get clarification and guarantees.

Could the EU come up with a legal guarantee to provide jobs, to ensure economic recovery, or to clarify if we would actually be isolated if we voted No, and give a legal guarantee on the isolation/stay at the heart of Europe issue that so many people based their vote on?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    Actually what the Yes side did last time was analyse why the majority voted the way they did, found that the reasons a lot had voted No had little to do with the treaty, then went to the EU to get clarification on these reasons.

So, if you take the same principle, this time around we should analyse why the majority voted the way they did, and find a lot voted on misguiding and scaremongering reasons like "Yes to Jobs", "Yes to Europe", and "Yes to Recovery", then go to the EU with these reasons and get clarification and guarantees.

Could the EU come up with a legal guarantee to provide jobs, to ensure economic recovery, or to clarify if we would actually be isolated if we voted No, and give a legal guarantee on the isolation/stay at the heart of Europe issue that so many people based their vote on?

First you'd have to elect a government who wanted to overturn Lisbon.

Also, why would the EU give guarantees that we wouldn't be isolated, and that economic recovery would occur if we overturned Lisbon? Since the other member states presumably don't want Ireland to reverse ratification?

Advertisement