Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Richard Greene says Coir should consider forming itself as a party

Options
  • 03-10-2009 5:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Just mentioned on RTE radio, he sounds a mad as he ever did.

"the war goes on" etc

While their fundamentalist brand of Irish Nationalist Catholicism clearly has a market, would Coir stand any remote chance of landing anything other than a few local councilors in remote spots on the western seaboard?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I hope not!
    A bunch of folk that want to inject back into politics more religious based/biased ideology?
    Aaa... NO THANKS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

It occured to me that they might just be a suprise package in the upcoming general election.... If not them some other gang of nutbags

If you look at the history of crazys (far right)in politics across Europe getting a seat or two in the elections its usually during a major crisis in that country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Biggins wrote: »
    I hope not!
    A bunch of folk that want to inject back into politics more religious based/biased ideology?
    Aaa... NO THANKS!

Yeah because people with a Nationalist viewpoint should not be represented:rolleyes:

It occured to me that they might just be a suprise package in the upcoming general election.... If not them some other gang of nutbags...

Watch out! Here comes Dana again!
    Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    Yeah because people with a Nationalist viewpoint should not be represented:rolleyes:

Personally nothing against a Nationalist (peaceful) based agenda being thrown into the mix.
    A religious one though getting back into the Dail though just when we have stated to clear the backward ways sods out though, would be a step backwards in regression than forwards in progression!

I'm all for separating Church and state and never the two should mix!

Kev_ps3 wrote: »

They are well represented in FF FG Labour and the greens, people with neo nationalist morally repugnant views are represented by SF

So most types of nationalist views are catered for;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Just seen that

what the hell would their policies be?

wouldn't be surprised if they join with Ganley or something

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    ...wouldn't be surprised if they join with Ganley or something

O great!
    Religious representatives with an agent from the weapons industry.
    That might work out well! :rolleyes:

:(

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    Just seen that

what the hell would their policies be?

wouldn't be surprised if they join with Ganley or something

Or if they all joined Sin Fein, what a rainbow party that would be :pac:

Or if they all joined Sin Fein, what a rainbow party that would be :pac:

Would be like walking into the Dail with a stick of dynamite on one side and a box of matches from the other.
    Would liven things up certainly! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Would be like walking into the Dail with a stick of dynamite on one side and a box of matches from the other.
    Would liven things up certainly! :D

Few places sticks of dynamite might suit in the Dáil:D

• Advertisement

caseyann wrote: »
    Few places sticks of dynamite might suit in the Dáil :D

Please - don't tempt me!

Please - don't tempt me!

They already have poles there so don't know if you could stick them in :D

They already have poles there so don't know if you could stick them in :D

I can think of a few places!
    Harney here I come! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

mike65 wrote: »

While their fundamentalist brand of Irish Nationalist Catholicism clearly has a market, would Coir stand any remote chance of landing anything other than a few local councilors in remote spots on the western seaboard?

Not a hope. Republicanism has moved some centuries past this sectarian childish tosh.

I can think of a few places!
    Harney here I come! :mad:

Funny you should mention her:confused:where is that lovable auld bleep :D Normally you see her head sticking out there behind lol

Funny you should mention her:confused:where is that lovable auld bleep :D Normally you see her head sticking out there behind lol

Currently off work. Details can't be stated here for legal reasons.
    The question has arisen yet again - see this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055692023

The vanishing minister yet again!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

"the war goes on" etc

I have always found it surprising that that constituency seem to have no political representation. It was particularly striking after the second divorce referendum when, lets face it, they pretty much made up half of the vote, and yet I don't think there was even a fringe political party that represented them at the time.

Currently off work. Details can't be stated here for legal reasons.
    The question has arisen yet again - see this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055692023

The vanishing minister yet again!

Cant call her much of a minister :confused:
    Thanks Biggins :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

"the war goes on" etc

Don't Cior/youthdefense/SPUC already have a political party?
    Or did the "Natural Law" party disband while I wasn't looking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Twas disbanded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Coir, for people who think Sinn Fein are too mainstream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

To the original question as to whether any of them would make it into the Dail, I would be highy
    sceptical that would get within an asses roar of getting even one candidate elected as a TD (even with the expected collapse of the FF vote)

I can see people voting for a vast array of protest candidates in the next general election in various spots around the country but even still I can see people baulking at voting for any COIR candidates in any sort of sufficient numbers.

I think it would be a good idea as it would clearly provide a demonstration
    just how little interest and support the general public have for their core policies.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Myself and a colleague were heading out for lunch in Stillorgan the other day and came across an oul wan handing out leaflets. I rightly presumed that she was from COIR. ANyhow, I asked why she they were pushing for a no vote when the Catholic Church was content with the Yes side.
    Her response was that if I know what she knew about the church I would vote no! Not accepting this, I asked her to elaborate when she told me that the Church was 'promoting' a number (~70) of bishops at the moment of whom many are child abusers. She appeared to have no respect for the Church.
    I must say that I was surprised - maybe they will set up their own church!

Anyway, on a different matter, who funds them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

If they did set up a party, they'd want to put Richard Greene into cold storage for a while. I heard him on the Sunday Supplement the other week when they were talking about Lisbon and they had to practically throw him out of the studio because he wouldn't stop talking over the others. The show was getting lots of texts from listeners who were really irritated because of it. I know politicians tend to talk over each other but he was the worst ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

After seeing loads of Coirs OTT scaremongering posters for lisbon i'd seriously worry for this country if they set up a party and even managed to get one councillor elected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

They are well represented in FF FG Labour and the greens, people with neo nationalist morally repugnant views are represented by SF

So most types of nationalist views are catered for;)

You are joking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

The great irony of Coir is that of all campaigers for the Lisbon Treaty (and any political group Ive ever seen) they are by far the most unchristian. The problem is that their core is highly 'religous' people who dont share much company with others outside the core. That way they are highly influenced by the propaganda and prime carriers to spread this propaganda. And they are so stuck within the group and within the tunnel vision that they cannot see without.

They would get nowhere in any election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

I remember years ago, hearing a quotation to the effect that, "Ireland was 90% Catholic, including a sprinkling of Christians". The older I get, the more apt this seems to be.
    To allow any of these nuts access to the Dáil would be folly in the extreme, I'd even vote FF to prevent that. Iran would be a liberal regime in comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

bmaxi wrote: »
    ... To allow any of these nuts access to the Dáil would be folly in the extreme, I'd even vote FF to prevent that...

The problem with that strategy is Fianna Fáil's propensity to adopt as its own the policies of other parties. Wait until they try to attract to themselves any votes that might otherwise go Cóir.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭OldJay

After seeing loads of Coirs OTT scaremongering posters for lisbon i'd seriously worry for this country if they set up a party and even managed to get one councillor elected.

On the other hand it showed Cóir up as lying, sanctimonious intransparent hypocrites.

Advertisement