Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If we were to have a Lisbon 3, what would the outcome be?

Options
  • 03-10-2009 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

Just wondering. Do people think it'd be Yes or No?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I think the outcome would be:

Perhaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

there wouldnt have been a Lisbon 3

for a multitude of reasons

must be the 5th time i have to say that today, and i even had a thread about it

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭maddogcollins

I cant see why it would be any different to what we voted for less than 24hrs ago...ask the question in 6 months/a year time and see what people would do!!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    there wouldnt have been a Lisbon 3

for a multitude of reasons

must be the 5th time i have to say that today, and i even had a thread about it

It's a hypothetical question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Mass murder.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

johnp wrote: »
    It's a hypothetical question.

hypothetical?

just like:

* Euthanasia
    * Abortion
    * Conscription
    * Death Penalty
    * Immigration
    * Min wage

you name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

It'd probably be Yes.

If we did have a referedndum to reverse Lisbon, I reckon we'd still have Cóir and Sinn Féin claiming Nice will end democracy, conscript us into an EU army and bring in forced abortion and euthanasia.

Just like last time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

i honestly do think we need a third ref if this comes out as a yes.

if the gov take this vote and go with Lisbon it would be like saying, ok chaps we have a no vote and a yes vote, lets just use the one we want !

fcuk that, best out of 3 i say !

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    hypothetical?

just like:

* Euthanasia
    * Abortion
    * Conscription
    * Death Penalty
    * Immigration
    * Min wage

you name

Ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭USE

According to the trend, there would be an outcome, favourable to YES even more ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

robbie_998 wrote: »
    i honestly do think we need a third ref if this comes out as a yes.

if the gov take this vote and go with Lisbon it would be like saying, ok chaps we have a no vote and a yes vote, lets just use the one we want !

fcuk that, best out of 3 i say !

One of the most important justifications for a repeat referendum is that you have some evidence that the result might be different, otherwise it's an expensive exercise in futility. Do you have any such evidence?

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    One of the most important justifications for a repeat referendum is that you have some evidence that the result might be different, otherwise it's an expensive exercise in futility. Do you have any such evidence?

theres no need, its 50/50 between the two votes. yes and no. 50/50

we need a finial decider between the two.

i heard something earlier here about somebody voting in dodgy boxes that were not secure so maybe that could be one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

i heard something earlier here about somebody voting in dodgy boxes that were not secure so maybe that could be one

Just like Zimbabwe eh? You No side are the ones who resent democracy, you can't handle the fact that there was a BIGGER turnout this time, and that nearly 2 for 1 voted in favour. Give it a fuccking rest, you and most No people on this forum are the most infantile I've heard in a long while.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

That doesn't make any sense. The people overwhelmingly voted yes and unless you think that massive majority is going to disappear for some reason then we don't need to run another referendum to know what the result is going to be. It would be a waste of time, kind of like pitting Bernard Dunne against Stephen Hawking in hand to hand combat. You know what the result is going to be before the bell rings

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭destroyer

Lets keep going.

1st to ten is the winner.

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    That doesn't make any sense. The people overwhelmingly voted yes and unless you think that massive majority is going to disappear for some reason then we don't need to run another referendum to know what the result is going to be. It would be a waste of time, kind of like pitting Bernard Dunne against Stephen Hawking in hand to hand combat. You know what the result is going to be before the bell rings

well the majority of the no vote vanished this time around who know what could happen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

A nicely smouldering Dáil Éireann ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

FFS...has it really come to this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Those who give out about the re-run and say that we're now tied at 1-1 and therefore need a third one are showing themselves to not have the slighest grasp of what is going on and why we had the second referendum. Although, having shown they haven't a fecking clue about the actual treaty itself it comes as no surprise that they're ignorant to just about everything else surrounding it.

It's petty, and pathetic and only serves to make the No voters look even worse.

Those who are suggesting it was fixed in some way are just retarded and shouldn't be let anywhere near a ballot box again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

A year from now, when people realise

A) There were No jobs in the Treaty (Bar Tony Blairs :pac:)
    B) There was No connection between Lisbon and Recovery
    C) That the liberalisation of some public services is being proposed
    and D) That the recession has continued Europe wide, with record unemployment throughout the EU

They will realise that perhaps 'No Means Yes' wasn't the best answer.

3 years of Fianna Fail and the Green Bin Cumann of Fianna Fail in coalition to think about it though, I dont expect another EU Referendum in a hurry

Lenihan is already rowing back on the promised jobs. All the lies of the yes side will now be exposed, further weakening the establishment.
    -Joe Higgins on Twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

All the lies of the yes side will now be exposed, further weakening the establishment.

He can't let up on the rhetoric for one minute can he?

Go on Joe, keep hanging on, that glorious workers revolution is just around the corner.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

PrivateEye wrote: »

and D) That the recession has continued Europe wide, with record unemployment throughout the EU

3 years of Fianna Fail and the Green Bin Cumann of Fianna Fail in coalition to think about it though, I dont expect another EU Referendum in a hurry

-Joe Higgins on Twitter

So the nightmare scenario is that things will be the same as they are now? With possibly a few extra public servants off the wage bill.

Where do I sign?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Clare_Guy

Rb wrote: »
    Those who give out about the re-run and say that we're now tied at 1-1 and therefore need a third one are showing themselves to not have the slighest grasp of what is going on and why we had the second referendum.

why don't you educate us as to "what is going on" and "why we had the second referendum"?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Clare_Guy wrote: »
    why don't you educate us as to "what is going on" and "why we had the second referendum"?

Bluntly

Lisbon One- Demorcatic Vote 'No'. People's Democratic will respected. Survey done.Main NO reasons realised and guranteed against. Vote Lisbon 'Two'.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,967 ✭✭✭✭Stark

-Joe Higgins on Twitter

But at least we'll have solved the foetus overpopulation problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Thing about Joe Higgins is that he can be as outrageous and outspoken as he likes because he knows that he'll never have to actually go and implement a single policy or idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 cider1

johnp wrote: »
    Just wondering. Do people think it'd be Yes or No?
    well if it was a no the you WILL have a lisbon 3 but if you vote YES then you wont have a lisbon 3 catch my drift ,anyway its a good way to stop thoes fat basters of a gov from spending more of MY MONEY

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

-Joe Higgins on Twitter

i just laugh when i hear higgins talking about the establishment as if he wasn't part of it and as if he was 18 and smoking weed:D:D

anyway in a year from now europe will be out of the recession and ireland will be slowly turning up to recover...thats regardless of what happens with lisbon, so joe i'm sorry but you should read the economist reports before trying to be sore looser

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

The sad thing is I suspect you actually want some of these things to happen. Spare a thought for the rest of us who don't.

Advertisement