Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7MB broadband but only getting 0.59Mbps

Options
  • 03-10-2009 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

I really hope somebody can help me with this.

About 3 or 4 months ago, I upgraded my 3MB broadband package with Eircom to 7MB. Was going grand until about two or three weeks ago. Whenever I try using the internet, most of the time it's really slow. I don't mean in terms of downloading a file (I know you rarely ever get your full DL speed), but I mean when trying to open webpages, trying to watch videos on YouTube, etc.

I'm not really technologically with it, but here are a few things that might be important. My router, a Netgear DG834GT which is a modem/router, is in a room only a few feet away. I connect using a Netgear wireless adapter. I've tried testing my speed on Speedtest.net but I get an error when it tries to test my upload speed. My download speed, however, is 0.59Mbps and ping is 46ms.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Join the club, a lot of people are having issues with their broadband this past few weeks, just report it and keep at Eircom to fix it, that's all you can do.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

The first thing you have to do is establish if this is a wireless issue or an Eircom one. Connect your computer by ethernet and check your speeds. Also check your line stats.

Have you added any wireless gizmoa lately in the house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Honda08

PacManFan wrote: »
    I really hope somebody can help me with this.

About 3 or 4 months ago, I upgraded my 3MB broadband package with Eircom to 7MB. Was going grand until about two or three weeks ago. Whenever I try using the internet, most of the time it's really slow. I don't mean in terms of downloading a file (I know you rarely ever get your full DL speed), but I mean when trying to open webpages, trying to watch videos on YouTube, etc.

I'm not really technologically with it, but here are a few things that might be important. My router, a Netgear DG834GT which is a modem/router, is in a room only a few feet away. I connect using a Netgear wireless adapter. I've tried testing my speed on Speedtest.net but I get an error when it tries to test my upload speed. My download speed, however, is 0.59Mbps and ping is 46ms.

i am on eircom 7mb business package, and synced at 5mb/512 due to the fact that my line only will support 5mb or so but its rock solid at that,
    pingtest.net gives me
    65677.png

and speed test .net gives me
    581901745.png

im getting these speed tests consistently since going over to the business package during peak hrs, too!

before that i was on 3mb residential and sometimes was only getting under 1mb download!!

big difference now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Geff

Eircom down here in Shannon Co Clare has been awful the last week or so.

7 meg connection myself and its all over the shop. Sometimes fine sometimes 2meg its really all over the place. Don't think its contention either.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭PacManFan

Glad I'm not the only one. Here's my Speedtest.net result:
    581908642.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Geff

I don't like Speedtest it doesnt test long enough to get the full speed.

Downloading off RS is the best way of measuring bandwidth. Their servers are always running and they should be able to support you up to crazy speeds like 20/30 meg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭TheDeficit

Geff wrote: »

7 meg connection myself and its all over the shop. Sometimes fine sometimes 2meg its really all over the place. Don't think its contention either.

i'd take that, my 7mb slows to 1/4 of a meg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 FullHouse

Geff wrote: »

I'm in the same boat. paying for 7mb download but receiving anywhere between .5mb and 6.5 depending on the time of day. Eircom are sending out an engineer as I've recently moved house and this is a newly installed line, but on hearing that others are having the exact same problem I'm not overly optimistic that they will fix it.

Advertisement