Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobs in a polling station?

Options
  • 03-10-2009 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭

Im just wondering how do you apply to work in your local polling station?while voting yesterday i noticed that the people working there for the day were 3 teachers who had the day off (paid) and an acconut who works for our local co co council ?surely these people should not get such jobs at a time when 400k+ people are unemployed

Comments

Make friends with the neighborhood bigwigs

Get paid 400 euro

Profit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

Does anyone know the exact pay they get , in total ? There is a rumour its 500 euro for the days work for those who work the day from opening time to closing time, a very long day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

LRN2TRIFORCE

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

jimmmy wrote: »
    Does anyone know the exact pay they get , in total ? There is a rumour its 500 euro for the days work for those who work the day from opening time to closing time, a very long day.
    a long day??€500 = 2.5(€204) weeks social welfare for one day sitting on your arse ,get real:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Rojomcdojo wrote: »

Get paid 400 euro

Profit

+1
    if there was ever a job to explain nepotism this would be the perfect example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

meanwhile people stand for 6hrs waiting on the street for a chance to get a few hours work at xmas in M&S.....

bonzos wrote: »
    a long day??€500 = 2.5(€204) weeks social welfare for one day sitting on your arse ,get real:rolleyes:

I agree, but again I ask : Does anyone know the exact pay they get , in total ? I suspect its closer to 500 euro for the days work than 400, because I know of a couple who done it + said its paying for their holiday costing 1000. I would like to know for certain though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I agree, but again I ask : Does anyone know the exact pay they get , in total ? I suspect its closer to 500 euro for the days work than 400, because I know of a couple who done it + said its paying for their holiday costing 1000. I would like to know for certain though.

If you know people who are doing it, then you should ask them.

Isn't this the second or third anecdote you've arrived with about "people you know" using some form of Government money to go abroad, without having specific figures to back you up?

Get paid 400 euro

Profit

Where do you get the figure for 400 Euro from?

Nodin wrote: »
    If you know people who are doing it, then you should ask them.
    I did not say I knew them : I knew of them, which is a different thing altogether. Thats why I ask here does anyone know for certain or can confirm it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

was told my self its around €300 to €400 for the day, please dont quote me, although may depend on your duty, you could either be the person ticking of the names and handing out the cards, or you might be the person checking everything is done right and assiting the voter if nessesary. sorry dont know the correct titles

friend done the ticker of names and handing out the cards one year, was only one booth at his centre and had to be there the whole day, was not meant to leave his position, maybe only for call of nature, worth the money though

irish-stew wrote: »
    aparently its around €300 to €400 for the day, although may depend on your duty, you could either be the person ticking of the names and handing out the cards, or you might be the person checking everything is done right and assiting the voter if nessesary. sorry dont know the correct titles

friend done the ticker of names and handing out the cards one year, was only one booth at his centre and had to be there the whole day, was not meant to leave his position, maybe only for call of nature, worth the money though

thanks for that. Is that the pay for someone there from 6.30 in the morning to 10 at night though ( or whatever the exact hours are ).
    If its a rural station, is there an extra allowance / a "managerial allowance", or a bonus for example, payable ? Or an extra allowance for cleaning the premises before or after, or for unsocial hours, or whatever ? Just wondering if the report I heard of 500 could be correct or not ?

Nodin wrote: »
    Where do you get the figure for 400 Euro from?

I have a mate who does it that told me he gets 400 euro for it. Now it could be 375 or 399.99 for all I know but that's in and about what they get.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

thanks for that. Is that the pay for someone there from 6.30 in the morning to 10 at night though ( or whatever the exact hours are ).
    If its a rural station, is there an extra allowance / a "managerial allowance", or a bonus for example, payable ? Or an extra allowance for cleaning the premises before or after, or for unsocial hours, or whatever ? Just wondering if the report I heard of 500 could be correct or not ?

no idea, i had that on word of mouth, they were in a rural station, i know no more than that.

I have a mate who does it that told me he gets 400 euro for it. Now it could be 375 or 399.99 for all I know but that's in and about what they get.

Fair enough, thanks for that. Is it before tax or after tax I wonder...and does he work the maximum no. of hours or just an 8 hour day ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

I have done it once in the past and hated every second of it. The minutes feel like hours. However i was unemployed at the time. In my local polling station there was a bank worker who had taken the day off. Shocking really

There are a lot worse, more boring, more dangerous less well paid jobs in the world. Manys a person would be happy to sit there + give out bits of paper to people / make sure nobody ran off with the ballot box, in a nice warm dry hall, for 400 or 500 euro per day or whatever it is.

To put things in context, the prime Minister of New Zealand, a country of approx the same population as Ireland, is paid the equivalent of only 220 euro per day ( if you factor he is working / on call 365 days a year ).

Fair enough, thanks for that. Is it before tax or after tax I wonder...and does he work the maximum no. of hours or just an 8 hour day ?

He says he knows a guy who says he gets that amount and you're treating it as fact? Brilliant stuff.

Does anyone have a link to an official site that states the amounts paid for the various roles on the day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

I do know it's shockingly overpaid.

Don't have any figures but a cousin of mine was telling me she was able to afford a large chunk of her holiday to Spain (very poor measure I know) with the money she earned from her one day's work.

How she got the job was also solely through the power of who she knew - told me this herself.

Advertisement