Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Year Project CMS

Options
  • 03-10-2009 9:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

I have been offered a project from a research department from within my college and after talking to the head of department I need a few ideas. He said I could use an open source CMS but I need to develop something that could plug-in into the CMS but I am lost on what I could develop. Like it has to be something that isn't that widely available and has to take me a few months to develop like I have to have the project done by march. I am a Computer Science student so I cant just get away with putting up a CMS and doing a few tutorials on how to create a basic plug-in.

I have a meeting with the research dept and my head of dept on Monday to see if I am able to take the project but I need ideas on what I can do.

So does anyone have any ideas on what I can do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Hard to talk abstractly. I think you'd probably learn more by adding a really nice bit of functionality to a CMS. However, I know this might be against the traditional way of doign things in CS, but how about say roughly what you're going to do, but alloat 2-3 weeks of research with your 'client'

Find out about their needs, interview them about what they do, and see if you can spot very specific things that could be interesting to develop a feature on. If you do research and then generate concepts with them or with peers, you'll generate a ton of good ideas. It's pretty difficult to generate ideas out of thin air.

If this type of process sounds interesting to you, then PM me and I can give you some more advice.

Advertisement