Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best car for value retention

Options
  • 02-10-2009 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi, can anyone offer an opinion here - rate this lot in terms of best (top of list) to worst for holding value. I will aim to buy something with max mid-30's mileage, 06 or 07, petrol, put max 8k on it per year and trade in after 2 -3 yrs.

Passat (is 1.6 underpowered? 2.0 seems cheaper than 1.6 on carzone??)
    Accord 2.0
    Saab 9-3 1.8l
    C-5 1.8l
    Laguna

To complete the picture I'm aiming to spend about 10k plus trade in (02 Golf 1.4 comfort, good nick).
    Other than resale value, boot space is important, plus moving up from the Gold I wouldnt mind more space inside

Average trip is 3 miles on country road to village with 2 small kids in back, occasional longer motorway trips.

I want something a little different so no Mondeo / Octavia. Any other suggestions welcome !
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

If deprecation is an issue, then I would go for an older car.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

None of the Above.

The Mondeo really should be in there - it's a good car, despite all the slagging.

As for the Octavia - it actually would be one of the better choices - it's got a good reputation, and, as trading in the future is on the list, it's one of the few that'll sell, then.

Which is what's wrong with your shopping list: it's not the cars - it's their reputations (bar possibly the Accord) - they may serve you (very) well, you may even get to love it (?!) - but ultimately, no-one will give you any value for that in 3 years time for the C5, Laguna or Saab. Wrongly, imho, but my ho isn't the issue.

I'd modify Eoin's comment and add, buy a slightly older one.......and keep it to zero value. Then, whatever you get for it, call it a bonus. That way you have a blank canvas to buy a car you actually like, rather than one some guy down the road in 3 years might like. Why live in someone else's expectations ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Accord 2.0
    Saab 9-3 1.8l
    C-5 1.8l
    Laguna

I'd say your order is about right TBH, though you could switch the top two as its a petrol passat.

As Eoin said, you should look at cheaper options when depreciation is a factor and your doing such low mileage.

A point to note is that at resale, 08 larger engined diesel cars with more favorable tax rates will represent far better value and lower tax rates than any of those choices, making above difficult to shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Hi, can anyone offer an opinion here - rate this lot in terms of best (top of list) to worst for holding value. I will aim to buy something with max mid-30's mileage, 06 or 07, petrol, put max 8k on it per year and trade in after 2 -3 yrs.

Accord 2.0
    Saab 9-3 1.8l
    C-5 1.8l
    Laguna

To complete the picture I'm aiming to spend about 10k plus trade in (02 Golf 1.4 comfort, good nick).
    Other than resale value, boot space is important, plus moving up from the Golf I wouldnt mind more space inside

Average trip is 3 miles on country road to village with 2 small kids in back, occasional longer motorway trips.

I want something a little different so no Mondeo / Octavia. Any other suggestions welcome !
    You do realise the Octavia and the Golf are basically the same car. The Mondeo is from the class above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

As said, buy cheap. You could keep the Golf...or my thinking would be sell it in your own time and buy an Accord diesel in the UK. Its laughable how cheap the are over there considering how good a car they are. Look here too and you might get one for about the same. Passats are cheap enough there too but i'd only buy one if the deal was very, very good as they aren't quite the quality product they lead us to believe. Ignore the C5 and Laguna

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Tuttlinghorn

You do realise the Octavia and the Golf are basically the same car. The Mondeo is from the class above
    Clearly I didn't - Thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Tuttlinghorn

PaulKK wrote: »
    I'd say your order is about right TBH, though you could switch the top two as its a petrol passat.

As Eoin said, you should look at cheaper options when depreciation is a factor and your doing such low mileage.

A point to note is that at resale, 08 larger engined diesel cars with more favorable tax rates will represent far better value and lower tax rates than any of those choices, making above difficult to shift.

Thanks. Mileage and the change in tax are both reasons I'll avoid an older diesel. I've also realised I need to search carzone based on mileage vs age. not sure about going to the UK (hassle) though maybe a trip up north could be an option.

Do you tend to get similar deals in nornIron vs 'De Mainland':D ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Thanks. Mileage and the change in tax are both reasons I'll avoid an older diesel. I've also realised I need to search carzone based on mileage vs age. not sure about going to the UK (hassle) though maybe a trip up north could be an option.

Do you tend to get similar deals in nornIron vs 'De Mainland':D ??

I've been looking at cars recently a lot and personally with vrt the way it is I don't think you'll get much value up north unless you go diesel, could be wrong though.

Not too sure if you should get overly hung up on mileage as long as its not getting up around the dreaded 100k..

Something to consider is that you could still buy something with say 50K miles on it, and when you go to sell your more than likely going to have one of the lower milers around as your only going to put 16k on it by the sounds of things.

Advertisement