Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No democracy in europe before 1945?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

ei.sdraob wrote: »

http://euobserver.com/onm/media/file1/1bc510aa2476.png

really?

whats up with these posters?
    do Libertas have complete lack of knowledge in European and Irish history?

:rolleyes:

And let's not forget that we seem to have democracy in Ireland from 1916. I must have a word with my old history teacher as he told me all the wrong things. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

meglome wrote: »
    And let's not forget that we seem to have democracy in Ireland from 1916. I must have a word with my old history teacher as he told me all the wrong things. :rolleyes:

Patrick Pearse had a mandate, don't ya know...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

meglome wrote: »
    we seem to have democracy in Ireland from 1916. I must have a word with my old history teacher as he told me all the wrong things
    1916... 1916... let me think. Wasn't there an armed insurrection in Dublin that year against the elected government of the day, which when the dust had settled, left several hundred dead and the city center in bits?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

If Declan Ganley said it, then it must be true.

Vote No!

Oh... wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

robindch wrote: »
    1916... 1916... let me think. Wasn't there an armed insurrection in Dublin that year against the elected government of the day, which when the dust had settled, left several hundred dead and the city center in bits?

My Great Granpappy was involved. I understand the locals kept tellin' him to go way outta that. But he didn't. They weren't happy at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

There was very little democracy in Europe in the years leading up to 1945.

With the exception of Ireland, England, Iceland and Switzerland what European countries had an elected government in control on the 1/1/1944 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

jhegarty wrote: »
    There was very little democracy in Europe in the years leading up to 1945.

With the exception of Ireland, England, Iceland and Switzerland what European countries had an elected government in control on the 1/1/1944 ?

Many European countries had temporarily ceased to exist in 1944. Which European countries had elected governments in 1939 might be a better question.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Many European countries had temporarily ceased to exist in 1944. Which European countries had elected governments in 1939 might be a better question.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

But you wouldn't say German Democracy 1871 - 2009 , you would say German Democracy 1945 - 2009 , or possibly 1871 - 1933 & 1945 - 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

But you wouldn't say German Democracy 1871 - 2009 , you would say German Democracy 1945 - 2009 , or possibly 1871 - 1933 & 1945 - 2009.

Maybe...but the assertion of that particular Libertas poster from the OP is that there was no democracy in Europe before 1945, which is clearly untrue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Personally, I wouldn't try to reduce it to an emotive slogan on a poster, so the issue wouldn't really arise.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

It probably would have made far more sense had they gone "1957-2009?" (or technically 1958-2009) but I suspect the date of the founding of the EEC might have been lost on people who would at least see 1945 and think "oh yeah, the year Dumbledore beat Grindelwald (and that other European conflict ended)".

I need sleep. Don't worry, I know. Normal service soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭OldJay

really?

There was no democracy in "Europe" (as usual "Europe" is a vague reference by these posters) AFTER 1945 either until the USSR caved in over FORTY years later.

The thing is that there are people who fall for all this scaremongering bullsh.

"Germany" was not democratic from 1945.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

really?

Can be read two ways.
    There was not democracy across the whole of europe before 1945.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Can be read two ways.

What about Ireland, Switzerland, the UK during WW2?

There was not democracy across the whole of Europe after 1945 either. Communism ruled in most of Eastern Europe up until 1990 and not to mention Spain and Greece which flirted with dictatorship since 1945. Basically the Libertas poster is a load of bo!!ocks.

Or after 1945 until the fall of communism.
    See? The poster is a lie aimed at plucking the heartstrings of those too lazy or unwilling to actually think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Well, whatever it was it doesn't seem to have worked...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

robindch wrote: »

Yeah, except the "elected government" in question was not in its own country. Next time, try and stay awake for the whole history class.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Rebelheart wrote: »
    robindch wrote:
    1916... 1916... let me think. Wasn't there an armed insurrection in Dublin that year against the elected government of the day, which when the dust had settled, left several hundred dead and the city center in bits
    Yeah, except the "elected government" in question was not in its own country.
    I didn't say the government resided in the same contiguous landmass as the people doing the shooting. I used the phrase "elected government" in the way I did for a very good reason -- go figure.
    Rebelheart wrote: »
    Next time, try and stay awake for the whole history class.
    I'll stay awake if you promise go to one :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement