Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

garda medical aid vs vhi

• 02-10-2009 6:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

lads what ye think about vhi v's the medical aid,
    what with the cuts at the moment i am finiding the medical aid seriousley hard to pay and considering cutting it for a move to vhi,
    thoughs views and comments please ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

VHI will provide nothing near the level of cover the Medical Aid does. Also, the job you are in means you are more likely to require it than a civilian would.

It is the last deduction i would consider getting rid of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

what about the critical illness scheme, i think its 3.30 a week. Is this worth keeping or would medical aid cover your needs ?

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭noel32

pvt.joker wrote: »
    what about the critical illness scheme, i think its 3.30 a week. Is this worth keeping or would medical aid cover your needs ?

thanks

i got rid of all the gra stuff for the moment ie the c / illness and gra life b and a and all that stuff,
    i wonder how much better the medical aid is, after all that and the vhi will cover you in a private hospital and i think they more or less have the same benifits, saying that i have not looked at it in detail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

noel32 wrote: »
    i got rid of all the gra stuff for the moment ie the c / illness and gra life b and a and all that stuff,
    i wonder how much better the medical aid is, after all that and the vhi will cover you in a private hospital and i think they more or less have the same benifits, saying that i have not looked at it in detail

As goldie said.....Medical aid is leaps and bounds above VHI etc. Thats why its so expensive. My advice is never cut it and when/if you have a amily join them up. god forbid anything happens its good to know everything is covered.

On the private rooms medical aid is a fully private room and will transfer you to a hospital that has one if they can. VHI is semi private most of the time.

Medical Aid all the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭jake59

I've been with the medical aid now for 12 years and only had to use them for a simple operation a few years ago, until this year when i have been in and out of hospital with a few serious injuries from a football match. everything has been looked after in regards to the medical aid and as soon as hospitals ask for your insurance details and you tell them who you are with they nearly break out into song cos they know there will be no problems with payment. Also my wife (also a member) has had to have surgery this year resulting from an injury sustained through work (assault) and the medical aid has sorted everything.
    You might not need it now or next year even but for the peace of mind it provides i wouldn't be without it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

what about the critical illness cover lads, is it a good choice, do many have it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

In general Critical Illness is not a great deal as it only covers for specified illnesses. If you get an illness not mentioned in the list, you get no payout.

A better cover (which I took myself in preference to Crit Illn) was Income Continuance, where they will make up the difference between your sick pay/social welfare and your normal pay. I've dealt with too many people who've been out of work a long time, ran out of sick pay, and are scraping along with great difficulty on social welfare, and often have to deal with extra travel expenses etc to do with medical appointments - not covered by VHI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Relevant

Having been treated in hospital under the medical aid and VHI plan B i would say medical aid is far better. It is something which might not seem important now but you'd be glad of it if something ever happened

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭1922

i've done well from the mecial aid as i've had it all my life through the aul fella

have my own now obviously. find it good for physio etc...do alot of running and football so get alot of stupid injuries. had an operation last year and it didnt cost me a penny...back the years i got my train tracks done on it, contact lenses, laser eye surgery...

probably get value for it if you have a family...mine is almost €25 a week, and while that is around €1200 a year i wouldnt cut it in a million years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Might be a stupid question , but are GSR personnel able to buy into the Medical Aid scheme, or is there a separate scheme set up? (And yes, I know GSR members don't get a wage)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

I was on Medical Aid up until 18yrs old and then again when I joined up. I did consider cancelling and joining VHI but decided against it. Last year I compared Medical Aid to VHI, Quinn and Aviva and none of them come close to what we have.

Although it is expensive for a family it is well worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Yeah, it is quite expensive for families but I would not consider quitting it for a moment. We were treated like royalty throught two child births-in fact the staff at the medical aid went above and beyond for the first one. Any time any of us has to be poked and prodded (thankfully rarely) the eyes of hospital administrators light up when you say "Garda Medical Aid" simply because, as others have said, they know there will be no issue with payment.
    If you have a run of bad luck and have to submit receipts a bit early your payment will be in the bank post haste.

Terrific set up and worth every penny

Advertisement