Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The EU is not sustainable without a democratic base.

Options
  • 02-10-2009 6:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

Regardless of the result of this referendum, (& there is still much to play for).
    This referendum will do lasting & permanent damage to the reputation of the EU in the eyes of Irelands & Europes youth.
    Why?
    We now know that enough people may have had the living sh*t scared out of them to even think of voting no.
    We also know that this appalling power-grab has alarmed Irish youngsters who, (until recently),viewed the EU favourably.
    Tommorow's politicians & journalists are not nearly as rose-tinted in their view of the EU now. Thats a good thing, in my opinion, & ultimately it will lead to EU disintegration.
    The Grand project of the EU Federal State will fail without a democratic base & fail utterly.
    This little referendum will signal the very last time, we as sovereign citizens can save Ireland & Europe.

(I await the gang maul & insults which are the usual response in this forum from the Yesmen, could we possibly have a sensible discussion, please?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

If you post flamebait, you'll get flamed. This is flamebait.

It's an important topic, let down by the pointless grandstanding and rudeness in your OP.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

rebelmind wrote: »
    Regardless of the result of this referendum, (& there is still much to play for).
    This referendum will do lasting & permanent damage to the reputation of the EU in the eyes of Irelands & Europes youth.
    Why?
    We now know that enough people may have had the living sh*t scared out of them to even think of voting no.
    We also know that this appalling power-grab has alarmed Irish youngsters who, (until recently),viewed the EU favourably.
    Tommorow's politicians & journalists are not nearly as rose-tinted in their view of the EU now. Thats a good thing, in my opinion, & ultimately it will lead to EU disintegration.
    The Grand project of the EU Federal State will fail without a democratic base & fail utterly.
    This little referendum will signal the very last time, we as sovereign citizens can save Ireland & Europe.

(I await the gang maul & insults which are the usual response in this forum from the Yesmen, could we possibly have a sensible discussion, please?)

A sensible discussion based on what you posted? God, have you no sense of irony?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Meh I'm pretty sure most of the youth support this treaty going by the various polls in UCD and elsewhere and the fact that the vast majority at the UCD Lisbon debate supported it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭rebelmind

themont85 wrote: »
    Meh I'm pretty sure most of the youth support this treaty going by the various polls in UCD and elsewhere and the fact that the vast majority at the UCD Lisbon debate supported it.

I'm talking about when they grow up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

Why?

What a load of nonsense. In both Lisbon referenda, the entire thrust of groups like COIR, Sinn Fein, Libertas, Joe Higgins etc. was to either quote parts of articles to justify lurid claims or - in the case of COIR - frequently just invent something out of thin air.

This wasn't a concidence - it was done with the expressed intention of causing confusion and scaring people, thus pushing them into the No camp. I think'll you find that most of Ireland's youth will have coped onto that strategy when the votes in Lisbon II are counted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Rebelmind you're really just in conspiracy theory territory and to be quite honest I think you're making it up as you go along.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Furious-Dave

Why?

So in other words, if it doesn't conform to your definition of democracy then it just isn't democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

So in other words, if it doesn't conform to your definition of democracy then it just isn't democracy.

I could swear I heard something like that very recently......oh yeah it was Joe Higgins :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Come back to us in 20 years rebelmind, and then we will discuss what you said. Would make for an interesting comparison between your predictions and reality.

Advertisement