Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expired passport a valid I.D for voting today?? (no polling card)

Options
  • 02-10-2009 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi,

I forgot to take my polling card with me this morning (although I thought it was just informational purposes anyway)

Also, couldn't find my current passport so brought my expired passport with me (it has the corners cut of)

Can this be used as valid I.D to vote today??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Drivers License should do it I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

That passport will suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 certifiable365

murphaph wrote: »
    That passport will suffice.

Thanks for that murphaph.

Just to be sure, are you 100 % certain that it would be valid although expired and cut at corners?

As I've absolutely no other I.D. with me, my plan is to vote straight after work, and then head out for the evening.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Even Ryanair accept (or used to) cut passports as evidence of identity when flying to/from the UK. I think I used my snipped passport for voting once but as said already, they accept just about anything as they have you on the list and you can only vote once. If you showed up after someone had voted with your banklink card they'd open the box and remove that ballot paper.

They often let me vote with no ID (though I would have had the polling card).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

Just to be sure, are you 100 % certain that it would be valid although expired and cut at corners?

A bit late for you but an expired passport IS still acceptable ID when voting. Well, provided you still look like the old photo. :)
    murphaph wrote: »
    If you showed up after someone had voted with your banklink card they'd open the box and remove that ballot paper.

I may be reading you wrong here but once the ballot box is sealed in the morning before voting starts it's staying closed until it's opened in the count centre. There's nothing connecting your name to the number on the ballot paper used so even if it was opened there'd be no way of knowing which paper was used incorrectly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Its usually a matter of "convince us". The expired passport is usually convincing.

Advertisement