Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lamictal and effexor?

Options
  • 02-10-2009 1:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi, I no doubt will discuss this with my pdoc, but I'm not due to see them for about a month, so I was just wondering if this combination was possible?

I've been on effexor a few times before by itself, it cheered me up, but I didn't really feel like me on it, so I went off it by myself (stupid, I know, I'm prone to a defeatist attitude though :p). I'm thinking my dose may have been a bit high or something. Anyways, I'm currently just taking lamictal, by itself (I was on it with rivotril for ages and I liked that (I have panic+gad too!), but I understand it's dodgy being on them for too long). I've just gone back on this drug after about a year or so, so I'm still at a fairly low dose (I can only go up by 25mg at a time, it disagrees violently with my tummy if I try any more) and I think I'll be titrating up for a while. (I've been on it 2 mths and I'm still only at 100mg).

My question is, has anyone been on lamictal in conjunction with effexor? Is it the done thing? There are aspects of both these drugs I like, does anyone reckon they might work together? Or will I most likely just keep increasing my lamictal? I know people take a lot more lamictal than my current dose, and I'm fine doing that, is it feasible to take a low dose of effexor along with that though? My doc mentioned something about effexor, but I wasn't sure if he meant it be used in conjunction with the lamictal, or by itself.

I'm not bi-polar btw, so no risk of mania, but I am in a pretty low place and defo need to change something.

I get quite anxious when I leave the house, so I like to know exactly what I'm going to say/do when I do leave. Any help/personal experience stories would be great to know.

Thanks!

Again, I will talk to my psych doc about it, but that's a while away, and it can never hurt to collect information.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

ugliest wrote: »
    Hi, I no doubt will discuss this with my pdoc, but I'm not due to see them for about a month, so I was just wondering if this combination was possible?

I've been on effexor a few times before by itself, it cheered me up, but I didn't really feel like me on it, so I went off it by myself (stupid, I know, I'm prone to a defeatist attitude though :p). I'm thinking my dose may have been a bit high or something. Anyways, I'm currently just taking lamictal, by itself (I was on it with rivotril for ages and I liked that (I have panic+gad too!), but I understand it's dodgy being on them for too long). I've just gone back on this drug after about a year or so, so I'm still at a fairly low dose (I can only go up by 25mg at a time, it disagrees violently with my tummy if I try any more) and I think I'll be titrating up for a while. (I've been on it 2 mths and I'm still only at 100mg).

My question is, has anyone been on lamictal in conjunction with effexor? Is it the done thing? There are aspects of both these drugs I like, does anyone reckon they might work together? Or will I most likely just keep increasing my lamictal? I know people take a lot more lamictal than my current dose, and I'm fine doing that, is it feasible to take a low dose of effexor along with that though? My doc mentioned something about effexor, but I wasn't sure if he meant it be used in conjunction with the lamictal, or by itself.

I'm not bi-polar btw, so no risk of mania, but I am in a pretty low place and defo need to change something.

I get quite anxious when I leave the house, so I like to know exactly what I'm going to say/do when I do leave. Any help/personal experience stories would be great to know.

Thanks!

Again, I will talk to my psych doc about it, but that's a while away, and it can never hurt to collect information.

Talk to your pharmacist.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Talk to your GP, they may be able to make a quick call to your 'pdoc' for a recommendation for you.

If its really effecting you, you shouldn't need to wait a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭ugliest

Problem is, I'm not really so hot on leaving the house at all/talking to people in person, and talking to a pharmacist about this is something I really can't see myself doing.

*also, I'm with the hse, nearest clinic day would be tuesday...

You may be right though... I'll give it another week to see if I even out a bit. Tuesday would kind of be too short notice to psyche myself up to go anyway. Probably best I try find a happy level as soon as possible though, it seems to be taking over more and more of life these days.

Never actually occurred to me to go sooner, my head doesn't work right sometimes >.<, but I get it in my head that I'm causing a fuss ->guilt-> feeling worse -> less inclined to do something so I don't cause a fuss. Vicious cycle I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Well really, you should call your GP, and book a visit, today. Or maybe even try book an outcall? Your GP should understand the situation if you explain it.

Advertisement