Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching Mortgage Company

Options
  • 02-10-2009 12:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Is it possible to switch mortgage companies free of charge?

I have a fixed rate mortgage due to expire next June. I got a provisional quote from my mortgage company (KBC Homeloans) and was amazed to find that my repayment difference with a varibale rate would be more or less the same as it is now! How can this be and could I get a better deal elsewhere?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

you could do, however unless you have significant equity in your property no other bank will entertain you regardless of you showing that you can easily make the repayments.

so unless you ahve an ltv ration of <80% the anwer is no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

I'm switching from KBC to Bank Of Ireland at the moment. They will pay upto 1000 euros for your legal fees and I'll have to pay for a revaluation to done.

KBC switched me to a rate of 3.24% and I can get the 2.25% from Bank of Ireland. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

It all depends on when you purchased your property. If you're in negative equity- which is pretty much anyone who purchased since 2003 (and counting)- you're pretty much stuck with your current lender. Regardless of this- you really should contact different lenders- and explore what your options are........

• Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

derek2901 wrote: »
    I have a fixed rate mortgage due to expire next June. I got a provisional quote from my mortgage company (KBC Homeloans) and was amazed to find that my repayment difference with a varibale rate would be more or less the same as it is now! How can this be and could I get a better deal elsewhere?
    Rates go up and down. Fixed rates are a bet by the bank based on which direction they think rates will go. Depending on the bank's status, they may or may not be willing to give lower rate to get more business.

Any change is likely to incur some cost.

Advertisement