Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foreign no-to-Lisbon Marketing teams on our Boards!

Options
  • 02-10-2009 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭

Just a thought but can the mods or sysadmins help me out with something.

We've all seen the amount of "new accounts" proposing a no vote of late - I'd be curious to see who among them actually post in any of the other quality forums I've enjoyed over the years and who, most importantly, disappear after today.

Anyone want to do a little select from users where creation date < Lisbon and activity = 0 post Lisbon?

I'm asking because I'm not being fooled into believing the sheer mass of lies those marketing teams are flooding this place with.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Obviously, this is going on. Companies have attempted the one-post account that pushes something, then the one-post account reply agreeing. The grammar used in these posts tend to be similar.

This is certainly going on. An unfortunate downside of the popularity of boards.ie - some people think they can use it to direct or influence public opinion.

I don't know if is marketing from without. But with what the UKIP have been up to, it wouldn't surprise me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

smokingman wrote: »

We've all seen the amount of "new accounts" proposing a no vote of late - I'd be curious to see who among them actually post in any of the other quality forums I've enjoyed over the years and who, most importantly, disappear after today.

Anyone want to do a little select from users where creation date < Lisbon and activity = 0 post Lisbon?

I'm asking because I'm not being fooled into believing the sheer mass of lies those marketing teams are flooding this place with.

Racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

I'm on boards.ie for 9 years and I don't remember ever seeing so many new accounts saying the exact same things. The really suspicious thing is many of these new sign-ups are saying the exact things that are not in the treaty so it all seems very orchestrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    Racist.

what an insightful comment. fair play. :rolleyes:

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

We'll have a look see in the database... could be an interesting story there if it were true but I expect it was simply people being energised enough to argue this time around. Remember, a fairly serious chunk of the country really DO have a "No" pov...

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

There is something very weird going on, as has been said over the past few months.

Hopefully, if anything comes from this referendum, it is that some controls akin to those on the new members of the Soccer forum are put on the Political fora here.

The fact that many, many new accounts came on spouting BS in favour of a No, only to have their points completely debunked, yet then go and use the same points as a means of backing up their "statements" in other threads was soul destroying. You would swear these people signed up to merely waste people's time in explaining the truth to them.

Regardless, I hope something is done in future to avoid these mongs dragging the tone of every discussion into lunacy and ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Rb wrote: »
    The fact that many, many new accounts came on spouting BS in favour of a No, only to have their points completely debunked, yet then go and use the same points as a means of backing up their "statements" in other threads was soul destroying. You would swear these people signed up to merely waste people's time in explaining the truth to them.

Yeah, the worst one was someone who shall remain nameless who came on saying he was completely undecided and neutral and seemed to be asking genuine questions but he kept going into these really long diatribes. I thought he was genuinely trying to get these issues sorted so I was wasting my time writing carefully thought out replies and it wasn't until he eventually said something along the lines of "the no side haven't told any lies as far as I can see" that I realised he was being dishonest and had no interest in the truth. He got banned in the end anyway for "persistent dishonesty" :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Lest we forget the Polish blogging cavalry charging the mighty EU tanks of truthiness on their mighty steeds of conjecture and falsehood, like the popular myth of The Charge at Krojanty.

My own view is there was far too much copypasta coming from Sept 2009 vintage accounts to be coincidental. Moreover, compared to more seasoned posters, these posters have the mentality of a voluntary Sisyphus. They keep humping a boulder of misinformation up a mountain, get beaten down at the top and then start over again with the same granite lump of lies and the same mountain of reasoned opposition...

I remember in the Euro elections in June, Libertas were said to have employed an astroturfing concern, perhaps it's happened again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Jack Bauer999

the conspiracy forum is that way
    >

do you honest think the NO campaigners would be arsed.
    more than likely its what Devore said, "people being energised enough to argue this time around"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

the mods can use this tool

http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/tracert/?tool_id=68&token=&toolhandler_redirect=0&ip=80.191.144.65

just replace the ip at the end with the one you want info on ;)

and yes this is happening see here

more evidence of some of the NO campaign lies being directed by foreigners

:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

To be fair, they're certainly not all "marketing teams". Some are genuinely concerned crazies from across the globe.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

Robbo wrote: »
    Lest we forget the Polish blogging cavalry charging the mighty EU tanks of truthiness on their mighty steeds of conjecture and falsehood, like the popular myth of The Charge at Krojanty.

My own view is there was far too much copypasta coming from Sept 2009 vintage accounts to be coincidental. Moreover, compared to more seasoned posters, these posters have the mentality of a voluntary Sisyphus. They keep humping a boulder of misinformation up a mountain, get beaten down at the top and then start over again with the same granite lump of lies and the same mountain of reasoned opposition...

I remember in the Euro elections in June, Libertas were said to have employed an astroturfing concern, perhaps it's happened again.
    This is a very good point, numerous seemingly excited, relatively new, "No" pushing accounts have been caught copy/pasting from very dubious sources, without referencing said site (i.e passing the info off as their own) and then not addressing it, or denying it when pulled up on it.

The whole thing is very shady, as I said let's just hope the administration here consider some form of entrance control to the Political fora as a result.

This is a very good point, numerous seemingly excited, relatively new, "No" pushing accounts have been caught copy/pasting from very dubious sources, without referencing said site (i.e passing the info off as their own) and then not addressing it, or denying it when pulled up on it.

The whole thing is very shady, as I said let's just hope the administration here consider some form of entrance control to the Political fora as a result.

To be honest, all that would really be required is knowing that it was OK with boards.ie to ban and delete - it's not like these guys are hard to spot.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭FunnyStuff

You would swear these people signed up to merely waste people's time in explaining the truth to them.

I dont think you should regard the telling of the truth as a waste of time, if you managed to sway some of these people with your truth then you should regard it as a success. I came on here a definite no voter, but after listening to some of the arguments, and i'll be honest getting a couple of infractions, i came away alot more educated about the treaty and found myself swinging away from the no side. I think this forum done more for educating people about the treaty than the government ever could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

FunnyStuff wrote: »
    I dont think you should regard the telling of the truth as a waste of time, if you managed to sway some of these people with your truth then you should regard it as a success. I came on here a definite no voter, but after listening to some of the arguments, and i'll be honest getting a couple of infractions, i came away alot more educated about the treaty and found myself swinging away from the no side. I think this forum done more for educating people about the treaty than the government ever could.

+ about a million. This whole Lisbon thing is a credit to boards.ie IMO. Fair debate and tough moderation has kept everything in line although I do fear for the sanity of the moderators.

I'm sure a few have had nightmares about moderating here in their sleep :pac:

Oh and holy crap was the EU forum created at the right time :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    the mods can use this tool

http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/tracert/?tool_id=68&token=&toolhandler_redirect=0&ip=80.191.144.65

just replace the ip at the end with the one you want info on ;)

and yes this is happening see here

more evidence of some of the NO campaign lies being directed by foreigners

:mad:

Stones and glass houses.

Your posting history is pretty interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Stones and glass houses.

Your posting history is pretty interesting.

your picking at me again?

go pick on Scofflaw or something :D

yes im waiting for my cheque now from the new european president Blair :p for getting him into office

/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

meglome wrote: »
    I'm on boards.ie for 9 years and I don't remember ever seeing so many new accounts saying the exact same things. The really suspicious thing is many of these new sign-ups are saying the exact things that are not in the treaty so it all seems very orchestrated.

You don't think it's at all possible that many of the new accounts were started by people who had an opinion on the treaty and simply wished to express it?
    Just because they were advocating a No vote they must be part of some shady conspiracy?
    I know the Yes campaign has tacitly affilliated everyone who voted No last time with various 'loony groups' but give it a rest.

FunnyStuff wrote: »
    Good post, and I do agree, it's just frustrating to see the same people bringing up the same things in different threads, despite witnessing their points destroyed in one and continuing to use said points in the other threads where they haven't been addressed yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

Good post, and I do agree, it's just frustrating to see the same people bringing up the same things in different threads, despite witnessing their points destroyed in one and continuing to use said points in the other threads where they haven't been addressed yet.

Yeah those yes posters never got the message.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

ascanbe wrote: »
    You don't think it's at all possible that many of the new accounts were started by people who had an opinion on the treaty and simply wished to express it?
    Just because they were advocating a No vote they must be part of some shady conspiracy?
    I know the Yes campaign has tacitly affilliated everyone who voted No last time with various 'loony groups' but give it a rest.

The thing is that they'd be saying the same untrue things with the same vigour and the same refusal to acknowledge reality every time. It's not just that they had an opinion

Yeah those yes posters never got the message.
    Oh dear, how sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

...and what about the Yes camp?

I believe you'll find that issue didn't arise amongst the Yes "camp", or at least not to one thousandth the extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

I believe you'll find that issue didn't arise amongst the Yes "camp", or at least not to one thousandth the extent.

Nah Rb, you racked up your 12,000+ posts in September, including the ones where you advocated a no vote, just to make it look like you are a yes poster of long standing...

It wasn't really an issue. The few Yes proponents that wanted to post campaign material PM'd one of the mods and asked whether it was OK - they were told it wasn't, or to put it in an appropriate thread, and they did so. Most of them were reasonably long-standing accounts.

Out of the dozens of No proponents who who posted campaign material, only one asked whether it was OK - the guy who posted the David Icke interview. The rest created their account, whacked their material up in a new thread with half a million exclamation marks, and then sent abusive PMs ranting about bias and oppression when it was taken down.

Feel free to draw your own conclusions from that.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    He got banned in the end anyway for "persistent dishonesty" :D
    ...and then re-registered to evade the ban.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yeah... Sorry about Jim Corr......

... oh yes... I did.... I went there.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

DeVore wrote: »

DeV.

:D He always seemed like such a nice boy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

DeVore wrote: »

DeV.

I bet you made allowances for him because of his sisters.

Advertisement