Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hosting issue - whats needed?

Options
  • 02-10-2009 11:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hi

we are a small web design company consisting of 2 designers and a sales man! 6 months ago, we transferd 25 websites from an american virtual server to an irish hosting company, of whom we bought their "Complete" reseller package. This package was perfect as we didnt want to have to be taking care of a server (software installations/updates...). This package came with pre-installed cpanel and all that jazz.

Now the issue. In the past 3 weeks, feed features on certain sites stopped working and throwing up error messages within the sites. (all our sites are joomla based). When we contacted the hosting provider, they told us they turned off all curl extensions as these are a security threat. When asking why they were working no problem for months on end and all of sudden they became a 'security' threat, we were told to contact our 'development' department for a solution.
    All joomla compenents and modules we use here are paid for as they are much more secure and reliable.
    Tbh, the hosting company are like a bunch of angry teenagers being asked too many questions - harry enfields character 'kevin' comes to mind!

Any suggestions as to what to do - move to a different hosting company, pay more money for a different hosting package???
    Cheers

Ps. I am not a web developer/computer science expert/software developer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

The solution is as it is. The extentions you need with the current set up are off. You need to contact your host if you want them re-enabled, or your developer to change the modules to no longer need curl.

If you are not happy with the host or their support, move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭HandWS LTD

Which hosting company is this?

What was the hosting companies reply to that? Did they say that they are going to solve the problem? 3 weeks is a long time. I'm suprised that you are still with them if they can't solve the security problem with curl.

As adrian has mentioned, you should either get your developer to change the modules to no longer need curl. If curl is required then you should find a new web hosting company.

I am suprised that they did not inform their clients of this before they turned curl off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I'd much rather if the host wasn't named, as I don't want this going down the road that paves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If the provider has turned off curl then I doubt that changing your hosting plan with them will make any difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭HandWS LTD

Sorry adrian, you are right in not allowing it going down that road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭hellbent

If your hosting provider has PHP 3.4.0 installed, this causes all Joomla websites to malfunction. Could this be a part of your troubles? Sorry if I'm way off: I dont know what curl does, but I do know that PHP 3.4.0 causes havoc to Joomla.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

hellbent wrote: »
    If your hosting provider has PHP 3.4.0 installed, this causes all Joomla websites to malfunction. Could this be a part of your troubles? Sorry if I'm way off: I dont know what curl does, but I do know that PHP 3.4.0 causes havoc to Joomla.
    Php 3.4? If they're still using any form of PHP3 they probably should be shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Ideally you should look have looked to move back to a virtual server , i know that comes with the added extra of having to manage the server yourself , but would avoid issues such as this in the long run and provide you with alot more functionality and freedom in terms of what you need running on the server for your applications to work correctly.

I agree with Sposs - VPS or dedicated will allow you to set up the hosting environment to your own tastes, but then you need to make sure the server config is secure. You should be able to find alternative plugins (or whatever Joomla calls them - haven't used it in a while) for feed processing that don't require curl.

Advertisement