Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question about sharing age of empires between two home computers

Options
  • 02-10-2009 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭

Hi

I am hoping someone can help me. I have a pc using windows Xp and my son has a laptop using Windows Vista. We want to play age of empires against each other using the multiplayer option. The two computers are not networked but we do share the same wireless connection. Now whilst I can turn my head to some technical stuff I have never done any networking except for setting up the wireless connection.

We would love to connect the two pcs together to play the game (I seriously need to kick my sons ass in this game, although he will probably win again and again), can someone give advice to an old duffer here :D and tell me in a step by step fashion how we can use this, is it possible, I did try connecting using the IP facility but it didn't work, nor can we access it through microsoft games. Thanks in advanced hopefully

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

If you are both on the same wireless network, they you are networked and have IP addresses in the same range / network, so you should be simply able to run the game on one machine to 'host' a game, and the other machine connect to the first using it's IP address.

To determine the IP address open a command window (click Start, then run, the type cmd), then type 'ipconfig'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

I know in previous games there were 2 options. One for "online" multiplayer and one for lan multiplayer. One computer hosts the game and sets up the options the other connects to it. Which aoe is it btw

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭TeaServer

Also check that both PCs can ping each other. I suspect the Vista Firewall might need to be configured to allow you play a LAN game of AOE. If you have another firewall program or the XP computer has one they will need to have rules to allow the game work properly. It should work just fine though through the wireless network.

I actually must dig out that game myself and play it again. It is one the most addictive games ever especially in Multiplayer....

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭miec

Hi All

Thanks a million for the advice, I'll try them.
    I know in previous games there were 2 options. One for "online" multiplayer and one for lan multiplayer. One computer hosts the game and sets up the options the other connects to it. Which aoe is it btw

It is the Gold edition (the first one I think - its old :D). It also includes the Rise of Rome expansion.
    Also check that both PCs can ping each other
    Forgive my ignorance on these things, but how do you ping one computer to the other, I have removed my firewall of XP but I beleive the firewall is still up on my sons laptop.

Again thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

Start, run, cmd

then type ping *ip here*

it should say x packets sent and received.

I think the vping command will keep on pinging it

• Advertisement
Advertisement