Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solo surfing

Options
  • 02-10-2009 8:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

I'm finding it hard to go surfing solo
    I been daring myself to go solo for a while now but I always backout at
    the last second

any tips

Laz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

Just go to somewhere you know is safe a place that your used to. By solo do you mean no one else in the water or no one else that you know?
    I was solo yesterday but thats cos the conditions was crap and no one else was arsed to go in cept me because i was off for a few hours and had to get wet. I'd say it depends how confident you are in the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

hmm there's a limit for me alright. I'll never paddle out in big (head high+) surf with no-one else out. It's asking for trouble. But when it's only waist high I can't believe no-ones out so i'm into the water as quickly as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

If you do go in on your own, nobody else on the beach at all, then send a text to someone to let them know your going in and again when you have come out. 99.9999% of the time its just piece of mind for the not so confident...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

kodute wrote: »
    If you do go in on your own, nobody else on the beach at all, then send a text to someone to let them know your going in and again when you have come out. 99.9999% of the time its just piece of mind for the not so confident...
    Big plus one to that and a swell you can really never be too careful.Was with the wife surfing only a while back, she came off the board, wind caughty the board and almost took the head off her.It could have easily went the other way if she was on her own and the board actually hit her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Couple of lads kite surfing at Sandymount yesterday evening, must have got into a spot of bother, Dun Laoghaire inshore lifeboat and a SAR helicopter came to their assistance

Rescue 1.jpg

Helicopter didn't do anything due to downdraft blowing the chutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Cprh

The fear of surfing solo seems to be a mind trick for the most part.

Presuming you can swim back to shore if your leash snaps, or that you know enough about rips and how to deal with them, there isn't really a problem.

If you take a bad fall and smash your head or get held down, there aint much a buddy can do for you anyway.

That said, I do air on the side of caution when going alone. I usually stick to the sandbars if I'm on my tobler.

I got a waterproof bag thingy for my MP3 and water proof headphones. It doesn't work very well for sound but is water tight. If you were freaked about getting washed out to sea you could bring your phone inside the neck of your wetsuit. It just gives you that piece of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭useurename

went surfing nearly every weekend last winter but i gave up for the summer.now the people i went with have fecked off to australia and canada and i cant motivate myself to travel to the beach solo.ive taken up running instead but its a poor substitute:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭oxygen_old

Yea, Im thinking of suring solo as well. Is the main Lahinch beach lifeguarded all week? If so, that would kinda be your problem sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,982 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

oxygen wrote: »
    Yea, Im thinking of suring solo as well. Is the main Lahinch beach lifeguarded all week? If so, that would kinda be your problem sorted.
    Life guards aren't allow to go in once you are 400 meters off shore and if something were to go wrong how would you rais the alarm ?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭999/112

oxygen wrote: »
    Is the main Lahinch beach lifeguarded all week?

Lifeguards are finished now until next summer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭oxygen_old

feck thats not good. I kinda in the solo surfing situation as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

Lifeguards are there for swimmers imho and although it may be different at popular surf beaches I would imagine a lifeguard focusing on swimmers thinking the surfers can look after themselves. Do some swimming courses in the sea, get more comfortable but still if it can be avoided don't solo surf.

Advertisement