Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to find "straight acting" gay guys?

Options
  • 02-10-2009 3:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

First off, I know "straight acting" isn't really the correct term but you know what I mean. Guys who are well, eh, macho and stuff!

Everytime I see an openly gay guy, at a bar, photos online etc. they're are always unattractive to me. I have no interest in effeminite guys but thats all I seem to see!

Apparently there are "straight acting" gay guys out there, but where can I find them! I know many are not interested in the whole gay scene, like myself.

And I can't just chat up random guys in a straight pub/night club, hoping that one will be gay. I'd probably get my teeth knocked out!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,942 ✭✭✭✭Stark

One of Dublin's gay sporting groups might be a good place to start. Dublin Devils football club. Emerald warriors rugby club. Dublin front runners. Out and about hillwalkers to name a few.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

Honestly, the effeminate gay guy is a complete stereotype. Most of the gay people I know are "straight-acting"; only one of them is a bit flamboyant. Don't be put off by preconceptions of what the gay scene is.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Reflector

ewrfc.ie

Give us 80 minutes and we'll believe you're well macho and stuff. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

Everytime I see an openly gay guy, at a bar, photos online etc. they're are always unattractive to me. I have no interest in effeminite guys but thats all I seem to see!

Apparently there are "straight acting" gay guys out there, but where can I find them! I know many are not interested in the whole gay scene, like myself.

You probably meet gay guys who aren't camp every day but just don't know it because they don't stand out. Assuming you're in Dublin, Pantibar seemed to draw a less "camp", more "straight-acting" crowd judging from what I saw at the beers last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭irishboyuk

First off, I know "straight acting" isn't really the correct term but you know what I mean. Guys who are well, eh, macho and stuff!

And I can't just chat up random guys in a straight pub/night club, hoping that one will be gay. I'd probably get my teeth knocked out!

Thanks.

i couldnt agree with you more! i find myself in exactly the same position. granted to be fair i do have my camp moments. but like you i am only ever attracted to straight acting/looking guys.. which appear to be rare. or perhaps we are looking in the wrong places!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

Im in the same boat too i wouldnt be camp or whatever and maybe thats why im attracted more to guys that arent camp....each to their own and all that!

I have though found plenty of guys in gay bars that are "straight acting" obviously it would definitely be harder in a straight bar to find a gay guy...fair play if you do!

ive met a few non camp guys online as well guess you just have to look a bit harder lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭pepsi1234

You probably don't realise the 'straight-acting' gay guys you meet,see out and about or see in photos are gay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

Everytime I see an openly gay guy, at a bar, photos online etc. they're are always unattractive to me. I have no interest in effeminate guys but thats all I seem to see!

You seem to be presuming that all "openly gay" guys are effeminate. Seriously, this is not the case. None of my gay friends are camp/flamboyant, and neither am I - I actually only barely even know any camp guys. So the more masculine guys are out there, you just don't seem able to see them.

Could you possibly be labelling a guy as "effeminate" (and thus unattractive to you) the moment you know he's gay...?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭boredboard

there is the other side where some guys describe themselves as straight-acting but are clearly not (not by my definition); and I won't get started on guys who describe themselves as hot/sexy/goodlooking!! I assume OP your 'frustration' stretches to sites like gaydar etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭BlueLepreachaun

Firstly, I hate the term "straght acting", just because your not effeminate doen'st mean your "acting straght", start going after pussy then you'll be "str8 actin" :P
    This "straght acting" busines reminds me of hardcore black millitants in the US who say a black kid who goes to college is "acting white"

Secondly, I see what you mean, or I used to. When I first "came out" (a phrase I also hate) I got really annoyed that there were nothing but flamers everywhere, but you've gotta realize there are not more of them than non-flamers, they're just louder and more likley to come out of the closet because they tend not to give a **** what straght people think.

I used to go to gay bars and there were loads of non-flamers, on gaydar you'll find tonnes as well (since the more ladish lads tend to be more likley to be in the closet, this is really important to understand) since I stopped going I got really annoyed again seeing nothing but flamers everywhere but it's because i wasn't interacting as much with gay people and thus only noticed the flamers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement