Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cryptozoology

Options
  • 02-10-2009 1:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭

Howdy folks.

Are there any other cryptozoologists out there? Given my user name, you can guess this is an area I'm particularly interested in (although truth be known, the user name is also a reference to my own personal appearance :p ), and I'd love to chat to others (be they believers or skeptics) that may be out there!

Given the Killarney Lake Monster thread, there must be a few of ye?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

dunno if I would call myself a believer or sceptic .... but have always had an interest in these "sightings" and other paranormal activity.

in saying that theres far too many nutjobs out there "in regular contact with aliens"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

PCPhoto wrote: »
    dunno if I would call myself a believer or sceptic .... but have always had an interest in these "sightings" and other paranormal activity.

in saying that theres far too many nutjobs out there "in regular contact with aliens"

I'm pretty much on the fence myself, despite my user name. I like the mystery of it all, and love the notion that there are still things out there lurking in the dark corners of the world, but I'm pretty skeptical about the vast majority of stories out there.

Having said all that, I still find paranormal in general, and cryptozoology in particular to be very interesting topics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

I'm pretty much on the fence myself, despite my user name. I like the mystery of it all, and love the notion that there are still things out there lurking in the dark corners of the world, but I'm pretty skeptical about the vast majority of stories out there.

Having said all that, I still find paranormal in general, and cryptozoology in particular to be very interesting topics.

There is an interest in such things round here and we are trying to get a forum organised that would cater to crypto and other Fortean type stuff!

Edit: Click the urgent support link in my sig to see what I am on about, and welcome to boards

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I would defo have an interest. I tend to look for a logical solution to most cases, but at the same time do think that there are species or sub species out there that we have not come across yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Kess73 wrote: »
    I would defo have an interest. I tend to look for a logical solution to most cases, but at the same time do think that there are species or sub species out there that we have not come across yet.

That happens regularly, when people think cryptozoology they think of Nessie, Yeti etc. but it is about the search for undiscovered creatures, like that bird eating fanged frog that was discovered recently, or creatures like the Tapir and more mundane ones (if that's not insulting to zoologists) like the Giant Rat, or species of new insects! It all falls under cryptozoology in my book!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Big interest in the area myself and had a great chat with Ronan Coghlan of the Centre for Fortean Zoology yesterday about the recent footage and about getting him back to Dublin for the convention in November.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

As a someone who lives in the country I think that a lot of people would be suprised at the behavior of animals they may think they know a lot about.An example for me was the day I spotted a vixen with her young out hunting rabbits-it was like an army manoeuver:)
    No nature programme can come close to one personally viewing animals in the wild.
    I think a lot of sightings of unknown mysterious creatures are in fact a case of mistaken identity,a lack of experience with that particular habitat,or an excited state of mind.
    That said however it would be ignorant of me to state as fact that every type and species of creature in Ireland is accounted for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

I'm the same way. I love the thought that there are unexplainable things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Kess73 wrote: »

That happens regularly, when people think cryptozoology they think of Nessie, Yeti etc. but it is about the search for undiscovered creatures, like that bird eating fanged frog that was discovered recently, or creatures like the Tapir and more mundane ones (if that's not insulting to zoologists) like the Giant Rat, or species of new insects! It all falls under cryptozoology in my book!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/earth/hi/earth_news/newsid_8234000/8234539.stm

Link post incase someone missed this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Glad to see so many replies!
    There is an interest in such things round here and we are trying to get a forum organised that would cater to crypto and other Fortean type stuff!

Edit: Click the urgent support link in my sig to see what I am on about, and welcome to boards

Cheers Slow Motion :)

Obviously being new here, I can't comment on whether or not there is sufficient demand for a seperate, dedicated cryptozoology forum, but I'd certainly like to see one. I can definitely understand why it would be grouped with other "paranormal" subjects (and I'd be interested in a few of these topics myself), but the vast majority of cryptids are more normal than paranormal.
    That happens regularly, when people think cryptozoology they think of Nessie, Yeti etc. but it is about the search for undiscovered creatures

Exactly my point above. Cryptozoology literally means "hidden animals", but the media would have you believe it means far-fetched, weird ass couldn't possibly exist animals.

I read once that there are three types of cryptids;

*those completely new species yet to be discovered/documented - these tend to be the ones the press would make most use of in ridiculing cryptozoology (hairy bipeds, lake monsters etc), but there are dozens of new species of animal discovered each year.
    *there are also those animals who are known to science but are in the wrong place - the supposed existence of big cats in SE England for example.
    *and then there are those animals, documented on the fossil record and thought to be extinct, only for them to turn up alive and well, decades, centuries or even millenia later. The coelacanth is the obvious example here.

So, it's a pretty big subject. While my namesake, and the lake monsters of Scotland et al get the press, there's a lot more to it than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

PCPhoto wrote: »

in saying that theres far too many nutjobs out there "in regular contact with aliens"[/quote]

Agreed. These people are all over the world, can't understand it at all

Advertisement