Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to the 'burbs

Options
  • 01-10-2009 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭

Having lived in town for the past 5 years am sick to death of it, the noise, the dust, the noise, the endless ambulance/fire brigade/police sirens flying around , the drunk people roaring at each other every weekend (and every weeknight now the students are back) so want to move into a house outside the city, been looking at places in Dooradoyle and Corbally, whats Corbally like these days? it'd be in the Westbury area if anyone lives in the area, whats the traffic like around there?is it an alright place? havent been out that side of town in god knows how long as I dont know anyone living out there

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,488 ✭✭✭✭banie01

krudler wrote: »
    Having lived in town for the past 5 years am sick to death of it, the noise, the dust, the noise, the endless ambulance/fire brigade/police sirens flying around , the drunk people roaring at each other every weekend (and every weeknight now the students are back) so want to move into a house outside the city, been looking at places in Dooradoyle and Corbally, whats Corbally like these days? it'd be in the Westbury area if anyone lives in the area, whats the traffic like around there?is it an alright place? havent been out that side of town in god knows how long as I dont know anyone living out there

Traffic out that side of town is atrociously bad! I mean it is mind numbingly bad at peak times. The vast majority of the traffic is confined to one road, its usually faster to get int and out of the city to go via Parteen, Watchhouse cross at peak time!!!
    Westbury and the general area are ok and have plenty of green space, but same as any other estates there are some probs with underage drinking and antisocial behaviour particularly by the shop and church.
    Traffic would put me off living there again though

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Lived in Corbally last year,,in that newish development Carraig Midhe.
    Handy spot with the pub,bookies,tesco,chinese and the chippers but the traffic is absolutely shocking.
    The missus actually stopped using the car and just walked into town in the morning for work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

westbury is technically in county clare, i heard,i dunno if this is true or not, as a result of it being close to the limerick border clare puts the maintainance ie roads etc to limerick, who arent claiming it part of the county or city so the place is very badly maintained and has a problim with anti social behaviour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Everything after the bridge is County Clare and maintained by Clare CoCo. Westbury estate itself is still maintained by the developers but is being taken over by the council next year.

Traffic is a pain in the backside - Scoil Ide causes a huge tailback in the mornings and getting out of the estate can be a 'mare. That said I don't think it's that much worse than any other access road to the town.

As for "anti-social behaviour"?! Either they have changed teh definition or I'm going blind. Some kids - and I mean kids, no older than 13 or 14 - hang around the church and shop at night. Big whopp-de-do :rolleyes: The worst is the litter, which is disgusting. Occasionally you get joyriders racing around teh estate at weekend nights. But seriously it's about as comfortably suburban as you're going to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

My brother lives in Westbury and the anti-social behaviour there is the same as any other area, previous poster makes it sound very rough but it isn't. Westbury is in County Clare and any maintenance problems are down to the fact that the developers still haven't handed control of the estate fully over to the Council. While the traffic is bad at peak times the proxmity to town does make up for it and there's a Tesco, Chinese, doctors, chemists, butcher and salon right on the doorstep.

I obviously seconded everything amadeus said, just got in before I posted

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Kat24

Westbury isn't a bad place to live. Personally, it wouldnt be top of my list but thats just my opinion, its just as bad as any other estate for the kids and teenagers but nothing worse than --amadeus-- mentioned above.

The local amenities couldnt be better, doctor, chemist, hairdresser, creche, laundrette, chipper, chinese, pub, tesco, butcher, bookmakers etc. and a primary school and secondary school up the road.

The traffic is awful at peak times but I dont think its going to be much better anywhere else.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Thanks for the replies guys, so far from the places I've seen its a choice between Westbury and the Foxfield/The Forts areas of Dooradoyle, I work out by UL so getting from dooradoyle to there may be an issue, although with the motorway it may not be so bad, just getting onto and off of it, will take a drive out to Corbally later this afternoon and see how bad the traffic really is

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

I used to live on the Mill Road in Corbally and I used to have to leave at 08.05 to be in school (at the time) for 09.00, and was often late. Corbally traffic is a joke, I once made the trip on bicycle in 8 minutes. it's a ridiculous difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

Thanks for the replies guys, so far from the places I've seen its a choice between Westbury and the Foxfield/The Forts areas of Dooradoyle, I work out by UL so getting from dooradoyle to there may be an issue, although with the motorway it may not be so bad, just getting onto and off of it, will take a drive out to Corbally later this afternoon and see how bad the traffic really is

Krudler,

As for working in ul, another option were you to choose to live in westbury would be to cycle from westbury via the lame duck in gillogue out to ul. A further option would be to drive from westbury to the lame duck, park your car there, and walk the pathway to ul (10-15 mins). A fair few students /staff from ul currently do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

lockman wrote: »
    Krudler,

As for working in ul, another option were you to choose to live in westbury would be to cycle from westbury via the lame duck in gillogue out to ul. A further option would be to drive from westbury to the lame duck, park your car there, and walk the pathway to ul (10-15 mins). A fair few students /staff from ul currently do this.

You can carry on past the Lame Duck and get to the Campus by car but I don't know if teh gate is open and is car accessible as a general rule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

getting to UL from Corbally isnt that bad,theres quite a few shortcuts and stuff actually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭MrFireBox

Hi Krudler I live in Westbury and can safely say it is a great place to live and is very well maintained. There doesn't appear to be any issue at all with anti social behaviour.
    As for the traffic being bad this is really only in the mornings Mon-Fri and evenings between 5.30-6.30.
    I have often left my house at 8.40a.m. and arrived in U.L. for 9a.m. You can turn off just past O'Driscoll's bar and go through lower park so you don't have to sit in the traffic for town. You can also avoid the traffic at Scoil Ide by driving into the Irish Estates at St.Munchins school and you come back out on the main road past scoil ide before the traffic lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

It's not car accessible anymore - it is bike acessible though!
    I cycle that road from Clonlara to UL - and it's a handy nice cycle, free from the stress of traffic!

Also used to live in Westbury and it's a nice subarban area and was no problem anti-socially wise.
    You can carry on past the Lame Duck and get to the Campus by car but I don't know if teh gate is open and is car accessible as a general rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Reaganomical

the Lame Duck

Best pint of Guinness in Limerick (although technically it's in Clare ;)) - another good reason to move out this neck of the woods

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

bumping this, still bloody looking for a place, everywhere is either too expensive, too small or in the wrong area, anyone know what the Kilteragh area is like? seen a few nice places out in Dooradoyle and have been put off living in Corbally due to traffic/neighbourhood problems anywhere we looked there, or I could just be too picky :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Firefox10

I have friends living in Kilteragh and I live nearby myself. I find Dooradoyle a fine place to live. Everything is close by such as the Crescent S.C., Schools etc.

Traffic can get busy around the shopping centre at times especially around Christmas but otherwise it's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Only bad thing about Kilteragh is that its one way in and one way out!! And that place is a huge estate

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭shoppergal

If you're working out by UL why not look in Castletroy. Plenty of non-studenty places there(or should I say here :) )

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

shoppergal wrote: »
    If you're working out by UL why not look in Castletroy. Plenty of non-studenty places there(or should I say here :) )

The Annacotty/Monaleen areas would be handy for UL also. As would Rhebogue?
    Wouldn't be a fan of Kilteragh myself - friends used to live in there and it was awful to get out of - especially when the Crescent shopping centre was busy. The same friends lived in Huntsfield as well which was much nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

shoppergal wrote: »
    Yeah there are loads of new "non-student" houses in Annacotty/Newtown, Bru na Gruadan, Caisleann na hAbhainn, Monaleen, Ballysimon/Kilbane, Rhebogue, Woodhaven etc. You could even go out to Castleconnell for a nice gaff.

• Advertisement
Advertisement