Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are BellX1 the new Frames??

Options
  • 01-10-2009 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

Yeah there music is ok but very safe, familiar and whiney. They don't seem have much in the way of ambition, have a loyal following in Ireland and among the Irish media and seem to be playing in Dublin every other weekend.

Just putting it out there. For what it's worth I do not like Glen Hansard and his merry men and would not like BellX1 to follow suit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

1st

Wrong forum OP

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Bell X1 have been around almost as long if not longer than the Frames.

Wrong Forum anyway!!!

Music>Alternative&Indie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 johnjoe86

you remind me of Glen Hansard

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

yes they are for the simple fact that they are both ****ing ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Bell X1 have been around almost as long if not longer than the Frames.

Wrong Forum anyway!!!

Music>Alternative&Indie.

The Frames were around for a good 8 years before Bell X1 came out. Although they were all in Juniper before so maybe that counts.

Also - wrong forum. (Just to be like the others!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    The Frames were around for a good 8 years before Bell X1 came out. Although they were all in Juniper before so maybe that counts.

I do count that personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

AnonoBoy wrote: »

Conformist....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Moved from After Hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

BUNK1982 wrote: »
    Yeah there music is ok but very safe, familiar and whiney. They don't seem have much in the way of ambition, have a loyal following in Ireland and among the Irish media and seem to be playing in Dublin every other weekend.

Just putting it out there. For what it's worth I do not like Glen Hansard and his merry men and would not like BellX1 to follow suit.

I'd have to disagree that they don't have ambition. Believe they have become fairly popular in America now.

Quote:

Feb 24, 2008
    On February 19, Irish Alternative/Indie Band Bell X1 unleashes their 5-time platinum-scoring album 'Flock' in the United States and Canada. A CD review.

After years of hard work and more than a few slaps in their pretty faces, it looks like Bell X1 is finally receiving some long-awaited good karma.

This week, the quirky quintet hailing from North Kildare County, Ireland, released the US version of their five-time platinum scoring album, Flock. Released in Ireland in 2005 and the UK in 2006, Flock is the follow up album to the band’s Music in Mouth, released in 2003, and Neither Am I, an album only released in Ireland in 2000. With four tracks from this album landing on Ireland’s charts, things finally started looking up Bell X1.

US Promoting and TourIn January 2008, Bell X1 began promoting the release of Flock in the US. The group played a gig at Joe's Pub in New York City, and also appeared on Conan O'Brian. Bell X1 will return to the North America for a tour in March, performing all over the US, including stops in New York, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, Oregon, California, Washington, and Illinois.

They say that good things come to those who wait. It seems that Bell X1 has waited long enough..

Read more: http://alternativemusic.suite101.com/article.cfm/reviewflock_by_bell_x1#ixzz0ShpnjSHJ

From wilkepedia;

Bell X1 are an Irish rock band from County Kildare in Ireland. They have thus far released four critically-acclaimed albums in Ireland, and in recent years have gained success in the United States, where their music has been used on popular television shows such as The O.C. and Grey's Anatomy. Their third album, Flock, which was previously only released in Ireland and later in the UK, received a North American release in February 2008. Their fourth album, Blue Lights on the Runway was released in Ireland on 20 February 2009 and had a US release on 3 March 2009.

The band have had significant success in Ireland and the United States; however, they are not recognised as much in the United Kingdom.[2] In the US, they have achieved critical acclaim with Paste calling them "one of Ireland's greatest bands" and New York Daily News reporter Jim Farber praising Paul Noonan's "sharp eye" and "flair for dialogue".[3] They have also had strong album sales and made several appearances on David Letterman.[2] They have performed sold out shows on both coasts and toured the US four times in 2008.[2]
    END Quote.

I love both Bell x1 and The Frames.
    Some Of my favourites. :)

Sorry for all the copy and pastes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭joeybloggs

......and seem to be playing in Dublin every other weekend.

I can see them playing twice among there 39 other gigs this year, not quite every other weekend...

http://main.bellx1.com/tour/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Would be fine by me, as a big fan of both bands.
    Glen Hansard can be annoying though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

both make tepid ****e music and have whining self absorbed cocks for 'frontmen' so i suppose there are some similarities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

Hansard seems to be going for Van Morrison/Bono vibe (alas), whereas Bell X1 seem to want to be Talking Heads, so slight difference there

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Ambition you say? They're currently on a month headlining tour of the US..

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Safe, familiar and whiney?

Back this up with some acts that you like, just to compare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

I'd say Bell X1>The Frames,but yeah I agree they're stuck in that same rut.
    Shame,they do radio-friendly pretty well most of the time.
    And this is in the wrong forum.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Anymore posts about how s/hite the bands or members within are, and it's a month ban. Either make a decent contribution to the thread or just leave it to the others that already have done

• Registered Users Posts: 7,089 ✭✭✭mada999

Frames>Bellx1 -

that is all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

I'd have to agree with the OP here, their music is very "safe". The Frames music has always been very "safe" also... not going too far, just making alright music that can be played on the radio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Kool&TheGang

The Frames are motoring along since 1990 - saw them play a student gig in Waterford where they were lethal - they are entitled to take a few detours / diversions on the way. Hansard is a genius... Bell X1 are a decent outfit but dont sit in the sames ball game as The Frames - IMO

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

thorbarry wrote: »
    I'd have to agree with the OP here, their music is very "safe". The Frames music has always been very "safe" also... not going too far, just making alright music that can be played on the radio

what's wrong with songs that get played on the radio. There are some classic and well written songs that happen to be catchy as well. I think that's the key to a great song to me, if it's well put together and has a hook...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I think Bell X1 have written some very original songs in their time and i think unfairly are being labelled as safe. "My First Born For A Song" is a track no other Irish band could have written IMO for example. Easy to concentrate on singles that are played on the radio but they have some blinding album tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

I just wonder what safe means, and wish the OP would return to their thread and back it up with music they consider 'not safe' or why 'safe' is not a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ElaElaElano

Let's not jump on the OP's back, maybe he's from lahndan town where safe is quite the compliment.

Anyway, just watched these on youtube, performing live, and the singer looks like he's trying to pull off some Ian Curtis moves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭rowlandbrowner

i feel the op failed to do the most basic research before posting his opinion.

i know one bellx1 song. i'll be happy if it stays that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Twilighter

I love Bell X1 and for the record, I like Glen Hansard aswell (:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

I absolutely love BellX1, seen them live about 5 times now and i have never been dissapointed, alot of people would hear their singles and think "meh" but if you get their albums there are just so many hidden gems, one of my favourite bands.

Advertisement