Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St Catherines Playground, Rush problem

Options
  • 01-10-2009 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi

I live near this playground im on Wood Dale rd , and to be honest im sick of it !!.
    The playground is getting destroyed on a weekly basis with graffiti , some of the play things have been damaged , they have even taken to pulling up the "soft ground" and when i say it looks in terrible condition i am being kind. Its not only the state of the playground since it was erected almost 2 years there has been a steady increase in ASBO behaviour with youth drinking and doing drugs leaving there remains there the next morning I have even seem some "scum" urinating on parts of the playground.

To be honest why the council put it near St Catherines is beyond me .

I am sick taking to the council asking them to erect higher fences to keep the "scumbags" out at night but i might as well be taking to the wall.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Hi

I live near this playground im on Wood Dale rd , and to be honest im sick of it !!.
    The playground is getting destroyed on a weekly basis with graffiti , some of the play things have been damaged , they have even taken to pulling up the "soft ground" and when i say it looks in terrible condition i am being kind. Its not only the state of the playground since it was erected almost 2 years there has been a steady increase in ASBO behaviour with youth drinking and doing drugs leaving there remains there the next morning I have even seem some "scum" urinating on parts of the playground.

I am sick taking to the council asking them to erect higher fences to keep the "scumbags" out at night but i might as well be taking to the wall.

I'd imagine because it was an available site and there are a lot of kids in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Hi

Why not have it in St. Catherines? Its a good area full of good people. I would safely say some of the anti social behavior is from kids who are not from the area.

Have you gone to the residents assoc in St. Catherines? They are very good and if they got some names would have no problem naming them to Gardái. Also if you do have a name give the name to a local T.D or Councillor and they should follow it up and keep your name out out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭ToyotaCorolla

Leo B the vast majority are from St Catherines 1 or 2 are from Thorne Chase but the majority are from St CAtherines end of . This is not an attack on St Catherines but there is an element that are out of control in the area and putting the playground near them was a bad idea.

In skerries the playground is located near the harbour away from housing estates likewise in Malahide the playground is outside of town on the Coast Road. The prime location should have been down the convent lane on the North Beach with a car park already in place. Lusk was originally designated the playground but they rejected it. Residents in St Catherines even pushed to have it further away from there houses. The council this morning as i write this are pulling "debris" from the playground. I have spoke to the council, local councillors and the guards. Joe Corr stated to me last year that the council will remove the playground if the damage continues but how bad will things have to get before that happens.

The gurries that are doing this do not have any respect for authority so they are hardly going to listen to the residents association.

The whole thing was badly planned by the council but what more can you expect :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Gumble01

I see them there most nights and they are indeed from St. Catherines, I didnt realise that they are wrecking the playground and drinking and doing drugs there. It would be a shame to see it taken away from the young kids because of this. At the moment the only one who is getting any benfit out of it is the shop.

• Advertisement

The "soft ground" which is not in bits is actually repaired by a company based in England. So every time the council want it fixed up they have to arrange for them to come over and ridilcous expense.

The same group of vandals use to hang around over the far side of st catherines near the woods the playground has just given them a place to focus there activities at. Its a joke that i cant let my 5 year old girl play over there when its yards from our house.

I would encourage anyone from the area to see first hand the state of the playground its an eyesore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Leo B the vast majority are from St Catherines 1 or 2 are from Thorne Chase but the majority are from St CAtherines end of . This is not an attack on St Catherines but there is an element that are out of control in the area and putting the playground near them was a bad idea.

In skerries the playground is located near the harbour away from housing estates likewise in Malahide the playground is outside of town on the Coast Road. The prime location should have been down the convent lane on the North Beach with a car park already in place. Lusk was originally designated the playground but they rejected it. Residents in St Catherines even pushed to have it further away from there houses. The council this morning as i write this are pulling "debris" from the playground. I have spoke to the council, local councillors and the guards. Joe Corr stated to me last year that the council will remove the playground if the damage continues but how bad will things have to get before that happens.

The prime location? Or somewhere that you've just come up with off the top of your head?? Thats the South Beach, which i believe has recently been made a no car zone because of the anti-social behavior of people in their cars speeding up and down the beach and burning out cars on the beach.

Just over a year ago, if i can remember rightly, a member of the gardai got hit on the head with a bottle of vodka while trying to break up an illegal drinking party.

But sure that was probably those pesky Hands Lane/South Shore Road "scumbags" eh?;)

Nobody will disagree with the thrust of where you are coming from but factually from what I see you are incorrect.

I am not from St. Catherines by the way. I see loads of anti-social behavior around the town and the vast majority are not from St. Catherines. FACT. It is caused by some spoiled rich brats. I live near the harbour and groups of teens go by my house on the way to the park with bags of drink and they are noisey but they are not to bad.

One person I know well says the main ones causing hassle are from Lambay View. Kids from St. Catherines have got blamed in the wrong for years for anti-social behaviour. However we should not get into a blame game. If you are sure they are from St. Catherines you should contact the residents Assoc. I have coached kids from that area for years and always found them sound. No different than kids from the town and in a lot of cases a lot better.
    If you pm me I will give you details of who to contact
    Rush like other towns in Fingal has a serious underage drinking problem and there appears to be a drug problem also. But the playground is in the right spot it just needs people like you to pick up the phone EVERY TIME you see anti-social behaviour. Get your neighbours to do the same

Leo B how on earth can you tell me from your "viewing tower" at the harbour that the kids i see are not in the majority from St Catherines they are FACT!!. Gumble01 stated the same but because LeoB has some friends in St Catherines well then we are wrong . LeoB I know many people in St CAtherines its like most estates some lovely some not so but the FACT is the vast majority doing this are from St Catherines even people i know in St CAtherines have verified it.

Weldoninho I can only presume you are from St CAtherines actually judging by your user name I actually know who you are. Take a walk over to the playground next Sunday morning and see for yourself. The South Beach may be a no go area for driving but the car park that is there which is were i suggested it could have been built beside.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,766 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Let's not get personal about this. If the thread descends into a bickering ping-pong match it will be closed. HB

• Advertisement

Leo B how on earth can you tell me from your "viewing tower" at the harbour that the kids i see are not in the majority from St Catherines they are FACT!!. Gumble01 stated the same but because LeoB has some friends in St Catherines well then we are wrong . LeoB I know many people in St CAtherines its like most estates some lovely some not so but the FACT is the vast majority doing this are from St Catherines even people i know in St CAtherines have verified it.

Weldoninho I can only presume you are from St CAtherines actually judging by your user name I actually know who you are. Take a walk over to the playground next Sunday morning and see for yourself. The South Beach may be a no go area for driving but the car park that is there which is were i suggested it could have been built beside.

Dont get snotty I am only giving an opinion.I dpnt live in a viewing tower, just an ordinary house. I know what I am told by some of YOUR neighbours and I know what I see. I could put names to a few lads and a girl I saw messing there last week. The lad was from Lambay View and the girl from Kenure of the other pair, 1 I know is from St. Catherines

My only reason fro replying to your original post was I dont like the people in that area getting tagged with s**t they are not always responsible for.

What do you class as anti-social behaviour? If you can identify someone here from their user name and you have contacts in St. Catherines you then must know who is causing the trouble. If you do phone the Gardái and name them.

As for putting a playground beside the beach I would say that is asking for trouble.

Anyway if you pm (private message) me I will put you in contact with residents assoc in St. Catherines. They are fairly good and they also have a superbly ran youth club.

Most people here are on your side.

PM sent Leo B

I was not trying to be smart sorry if thats how it came across.

PM sent Leo B

I was not trying to be smart sorry if thats how it came across.

No problem. Have sent you on contact details and a few suggestions. Will mention it to a councillor I am due to meet.

Alan Farrell is an elected Cllr who a regular on this forum so maybe a pm to him might be more benifical

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭QOTSA90

Iv not much to add to this topic, I knew lads who hung around in that play ground, but they've since (to the best of my knowledge) moved onto bigger and better things (outside spar.. )
    LeoB wrote: »
    As for putting a playground beside the beach I would say that is asking for trouble.

+1, that'd be a horrendous idea. But to be honest, no matter where you put the play ground in Rush, it will have the same fate as the one in St.Catherines. If its not the BCT wreckin it, itll be the KL/MSM/KMS.

*BCT= bally catherines tinkers, KL= knock lads, MSM= main street massive, KMS= kenure mad scones.

*Im only messin but ya get my point.

My suggestion about putting the playground at the south beach was that in both Skerries and Malahide they were placed away from housing estates and in both instances I have never seen any problems at both sites. Maybe the location i suggested could be an issue but my point was that a playground is for generally smaller children so if it was in a place that was a bit further out it would not be an issue because the parents would be bringing them to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,766 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

To be fair - the one at Red Island gets messy on weekend nights.

QOTSA90 wrote: »
    Iv not much to add to this topic, I knew lads who hung around in that play ground, but they've since (to the best of my knowledge) moved onto bigger and better things (outside spar.. )

+1, that'd be a horrendous idea. But to be honest, no matter where you put the play ground in Rush, it will have the same fate as the one in St.Catherines. If its not the BCT wreckin it, itll be the KL/MSM/KMS.

*BCT= bally catherines tinkers, KL= knock lads, MSM= main street massive, KMS= kenure mad scones.

*Im only messin but ya get my point.

I dont agree with you. Maybe a bit of consultation with residents Assoc in various areas would make people act a bit more responsibly. Where it is currently situated is to far back from the houses on Wooddale Rd, The Cairn and St. Catherines. If it were closer I think people might be a bit more protective.

BTW you may be joking but some people might take offence

to be honest Hill Billy over the years I have never seen the same level of Vandalism as i have at the one in Rush . The rush one is only there 2 years the skerries one is in pristine condition compared to it . How many years is that there?

Not going off topic but all the villages in Fingal and NCD have had there share of vandalism over the years. I dont think this playground is as bad as other areas. .

Perhaps if it had been built in front of St. Catherines lawns or between the School and St. Catherines it would have been better.

About 20 years ago when the dressing rooms were at the G.A.A pitch they were regularly vandalised. We found out who done it and oversaw them fix it up. They were not bad kids the messing just got out of hand.

This morning the company from England that repairs the playground periodically was over at it fixing it up. Lets hope it can be kept in decent condition though with Halloween coming up it wont be easy. I spoke to the guards last night who tell me they are gonna try and up there presence around the area and tell me they are going to keep a close on the "scumbags" vandalising the playground and the surrounding walls etc.
    They stated they will come down tough on them -lets hope so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Gumble01

Just walked by it pretty sure on the side of the van it said wexford.

Ah right well i didnt see them first hand ;) I know the last time it was a crowd from England.The council have copped on so and gone for local enough workers. It was Joe Corr who informed me the council employed english contractors the last time they repaired it.

I see in the Fingal last week , the playground issue got a mention. As per usual the council only hear what they want to hear. http://www.fingal-independent.ie/premium/news/row-erupts-over-rush-playground-2127070.html

I see from the webcast of the meeting Tom Hussey from the council stated that people in nearby estates where asked was there an issue and told them there was no issue, as well as saying there was no issues reported from the guards at all

Well i would love to know who was asked locally because no one in houses close to it in the cairn estate , wood dale rd or thorn chase were asked. The police in Balbriggan report they have many reports against it also but according to the council ah no sure its all lovely. Why then do so many people with kids prefer to travel to skerries playground than use one on there doorstep. As for no damage I spotted 3 different things broken at a glance the other day, but in the council report its all fine and dandy.
    To be honest 2 off the, are lethal if a child falls on them they will be seriously damaged.

Someone in the council must be on boards.ie, they are over at it now apparently assesing the damage , wonder will tom's reports still say all is well.

Advertisement