Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

photoshop or fireworks

Options
  • 01-10-2009 5:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭

HI all

Which is better photoshop or fireworks?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Apples.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kgpixels

I find fireworks works better with dreamweaver. When editing a gif in dreamweaver, it will know the associate png file, open it and then convert back to the gif.
    There are probably other good features that make them a good pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

For web design - Fireworks.

For photo manipulation, complex graphics & textures - Photoshop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Which is better, pencils or paintbrushes? Neither is better, both are decent tools with different advantages. Photoshop is extremely powerful and can do a huge amount of things including fairly advanced photo manipulation and produce artwork ready for print. Fireworks has slightly less features but is primarily aimed at screen design and so is a little more focused because of that. Many people find fireworks much easier to get into if they haven't much design experience because it's more intuitive while many people from a print design background prefer photoshop.

Personally, i'd try both and see which makes more sense to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Which is better, pencils or paintbrushes? Neither is better, both are decent tools with different advantages. Photoshop is extremely powerful and can do a huge amount of things including fairly advanced photo manipulation and produce artwork ready for print. Fireworks has slightly less features but is primarily aimed at screen design and so is a little more focused because of that. Many people find fireworks much easier to get into if they haven't much design experience because it's more intuitive while many people from a print design background prefer photoshop.

Personally, i'd try both and see which makes more sense to you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Nicecube

definatley photoshop...

If you are a beginner I would recommend spending time learning photoshop, I use it for all my web and print stuff. I think it gives the best flexibility as it covers a lot of areas and covers them well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭juanyjuans

For website I would say Fireworks.
    For editing photos Photoshop.

I have used both professionally as a web designer. I moved over to Fireworks as I find it sooo much faster to create designs for the web. The way Fireworks handles vector images is really great compared to Photoshop. And if your starting our Fireworks is easier to learn as it's smaller ( less options ).

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭hellbent

I keep changing my 'open with' dialogue for all image types to Fireworks, as it is a huge timesaver for working with the web. It's particularly useful with Joomla templates, as they often have only PNG images, usually on a transparent background. Its generally just faster and easier to work with.

For fancy images which need lots of attention, I'd still use Photoshop. Paintbrushes are particularly good on Photoshop, flower brushes, grunge, abstract design brushes, etc., all give effects that are almost impossible to get with Fireworks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I use Fireworks for all my layouts and will just import anything that can be better done in Photoshop or Illustrator.

I find it difficult to adapt to using Photoshop for some tasks as I've been using Fireworks for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 LCblogger

Fireworks is pretty easy to use but limited on its design capabilities. On the other hand Photoshop is hard to learn and may take years to master but the possibilities are endless.

• Advertisement
Advertisement