Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Polling stations opening hours?

Options
  • 01-10-2009 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭

Just wanna double check! So what time are polling stations open until Friday evening?

Is it 9pm everywhere across the board?

Thankies!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

7am until 10pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

And you thank the Greens for the long opening hours, asfaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

The longer opening hours is the work of The Greens is it...? Wow. I didn't know that.

Why, what did FF have as the latest opening time for us mere citizens to vote?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Closed at 7, opened at 9????

I watched the Dail as Gormley declared the 2 Dail by-elections (which were also of the Greens cause) and what with the Greens being the democracy party I think it was Gormley who extended the hours. Hes minister for local government you see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

pog it wrote: »
    The longer opening hours is the work of The Greens is it...? Wow. I didn't know that.

Why, what did FF have as the latest opening time for us mere citizens to vote?

Well those elitist b*stards in Pro-Treaty SF under Consgrave gave us the following:
    The poll, if any, at a general election shall commence at nine o'clock in the forenoon, and be kept open till seven o'clock in the afternoon and no longer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

It's a pity we don't vote on a Saturday or Sunday, so much more people would have an opportunity to vote.

Ya know one of the Greens biggest downfall is that they do not shout out about the things that they do achieve and have achieved in Government.

This is something worth boasting about. Had it been 7pm, as previously, I would have missed out- I'll just get home for 8.30-9pm.

Fair play to them for that.

Maybe this is why they are holding on desperately to stay in Government, they know that while they are limited, they can still do something that helps people. Bravo Greens.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Maybe this is why they are holding on desperately to stay in Government, they know that while they are limited, they can still do something that helps people. Bravo Greens.

nail on the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    It's a pity we don't vote on a Saturday or Sunday, so much more people would have an opportunity to vote.

One would think that most people would be able to get to their polling station between the hours of 7am and 10pm...

Besides then kids who's schools are used as a polling station wouldn't get the day off :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Yikes :eek:. I really hope they go the way of the PDs in the next general election.

• Advertisement

That's a bit unfair Shooter and it's playing into the hands of FF who must be relishing the fact that the Greens are sharing the blame- it softens the blow on them in its own small but significant way.

The Greens were not in Government before now and they don't deserve to be put into the same category as the PDs whatsoever. But I agree completely, it was good riddance to PDs. If only if only if only Harney could have joined them :(

Today it is Gormley who is demanding Sean Fitzpatrick cooperates with the fraud investigators in Anglo! They are asking for more fairness- cuts in education but not to the extend that Batt Asshole wants, they are asking for higher tax on higher earners. I only hope FF cooperate with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Don't get me wrong pog it. I don't hold them soley responsible, I'd love to see FF go too but that's very unlikely. My gripe with them is one of core beliefs and so I'll never vote for them. I consider myself liberal to my core and their approach is very much "we'll decide what's good and you'll do it" either through banning things or introducing green taxes. While environmental issues are at times important I honestly don't see how big an impact Ireland can really make (yes I am advocating a do as we say not as we do policy) and where we can change should not come through by force or tax. It should come through by persuading people that they want to do the "right" thing (liberal).

Advertisement