Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paddypower is pretty sure about this

Options
  • 01-10-2009 4:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭

Applies to the re-run of the Lisbon Treaty Referendum 2nd October 2009.

Yes 1/25

No 8/1

The Yes side is fairly safe it seems.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

I'll believe it when I see it. Wouldn't be the first time a bookie got something wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

I'll believe it when I see it. Wouldn't be the first time a bookie got something wrong.

That's nothing more than a marketing spin on Boylesports' behalf - they would view that as free advertisement and being seen as the 'good samaritan', rather than a loss-making exercise, even if they had to pay out on No winning too (AFAIK this has happened to Paddy Power also in relation to prematurely paying out for Man U winning the Premiership).

Let's remember that last time, Paddy Power had yes at 1/3 before the referendum and at one stage No was at 7/2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

realcam wrote: »

They deemed the Yes side to be safe enough last time and paid out on a YES result before the votes were counted :D and then had to pay out again on a NO result when the votes was announced. Bookmakers odds are based on the balance of bets received, if you put a million on a NO vote tonight, then they'd have a NO result as Odds on within minutes.

That's nothing more than a marketing spin on Boylesports' behalf - they would view that as free advertisement and being seen as the 'good samaritan', rather than a loss-making exercise, even if they had to pay out on No winning too (AFAIK this has happened to Paddy Power also in relation to prematurely paying out for Man U winning the Premiership).

Let's remember that last time, Paddy Power had yes at 1/3 before the referendum and at one stage No was at 7/2.

The important part of the article I quoted was that PP paid out the last time on 'yes', as a very relevant example of the bookie getting it wrong...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Well I'm putting 50 quid on a No vote, that way I either get the outcome I'm hoping for or a TV. :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭moondogspot

Didn't they say the same the last time out?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

amacachi wrote: »
    Well I'm putting 50 quid on a No vote, that way I either get the outcome I'm hoping for or a TV. :P
    I only stuck a tenner on. Still, something of a consolation prize in the event of the "wrong" (:p) result...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

:DNothing is a sure thing

How much would i win if i put 100 on NO side?

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I only stuck a tenner on. Still, something of a consolation prize in the event of the "wrong" (:p) result...

Was going to put on less but it's kinda put-away money that I'm not going to enjoy anyway, and winning a hundred or so would just be put away as well, or drank in one night.

I'll almost be annoyed on Saturday now if the result is Yes. :pac:

caseyann wrote: »

At 9/1 you would get a grand back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

nothing. it ain't going to be no.

At 9/1 you would get a grand back.

oh that would be a nice piece in the pocket :D thanks

Hm lets all vote no around 500 quid and make a killing lol
    Now there would be a nice reason to vote no :o jking lol

dougal wrote: »
    nothing. it ain't going to be no.

Never a sure thing with Ireland polls and Irish minds you of all people should know that :D

oh wait can i 50/50 on either side what i get then anyone lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Indeed, a few pints to drown the sorrows over the state of the electorate should you "win" the bet.

Never a sure thing with Ireland polls and Irish minds you of all people should know that :D

oh wait can i 50/50 on either side what i get then anyone lol

You get slightly less if 'no' wins, and lose slightly less if 'yes' wins.

You can't beat the bookies!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

They paid out last year. The sheer arrogance coming from the Yes side, is mind blowing. I, for one, am looking forward to another No victory.

DUBLIN (Reuters) - An Irish bookmaker is already paying out on a "Yes" vote in next month's plebiscite on the European Union's reform treaty.
    "With odds at 1/12 a positive outcome looks like a foregone conclusion at this stage although we do expect it to be tight," said Leon Blanche, a spokesman for Boylesports.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKTRE58M1W420090923

PaulieD wrote: »
    They paid out last year. The sheer arrogance coming from the Yes side, is mind blowing. I, for one, am looking forward to another No victory.

DUBLIN (Reuters) - An Irish bookmaker is already paying out on a "Yes" vote in next month's plebiscite on the European Union's reform treaty.
    "With odds at 1/12 a positive outcome looks like a foregone conclusion at this stage although we do expect it to be tight," said Leon Blanche, a spokesman for Boylesports.

That's the best example of "arrogance" from the "Yes side" you can find? A bookie paying out early?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

That's the best example of "arrogance" from the "Yes side" you can find? A bookie paying out early?

I was talking about some of the comments on this thread. The Yes side seem to think it is a foregone conclusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Dermot Ahern, Michael O'Leary and Micheal Martin = Lisbon arrogance personified!

realcam wrote: »
    The important part of the article I quoted was that PP paid out the last time on 'yes', as a very relevant example of the bookie getting it wrong...
    Rb wrote: »
    Indeed, a few pints to drown the sorrows over the state of the electorate should you "win" the bet.

I was talking about some of the comments on this thread. The Yes side seem to think it is a foregone conclusion.

Which comments would those be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

And all the talk about Ganley's funding.

O'Leary spends 500,000 on his Yes campaign out of total self interest masquerading as national interest, and not a murmur about it.

Martin was funny last night on V. Browne. Story about Marty Whelan's merc being stolen and Vinny asked him what would he do if it happened to him, would there be another one behind it ready for him.. and Martin said 'Yes...indeed... and it's not a nice thing to have your merc stolen'.

We should make the cutbacks for them and get a suite of Puntos and Polos for them and wipe the poker face off them.

pog it wrote: »
    And all the talk about Ganley's funding.

O'Leary spends 500,000 on his Yes campaign out of total self interest masquerading as national interest, and not a murmur about it.

Martin was funny last night on V. Browne. Story about Marty Whelan's merc being stolen and Vinny asked him what would he do if it happened to him, would there be another one behind it ready for him.. and Martin said 'Yes...indeed... and it's not a nice thing to have your merc stolen'.

We should make the cutbacks for them and get a suite of Puntos and Polos for them and wipe the poker face off them.

Are you in the wrong thread? That was pretty random!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Yet again, another poster looks forward to a no victory to show up the "arrogance" of the yes side. There's a real sense of the disaffected/chip on the shoulder/imagined sleight that seems to be driving an emotional rather than a logical imperative from certain elements that I find interesting. You'd see it quite a bit from the more hysterical elements on the Rugby Forum e.g. "Munster/Leinster are so arrogant i hope they loose type"; it really does take on a very real, personal dimension for these people.

Anyway, 10 quid on a no vote from me. Hope I loose it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Anyway, 10 quid on a no vote from me. Hope I loose it.

I'll be rooting for ya. I'd love to see ya win the few bob :)

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭finbar10

Betfair (as a betting exchange) usually has more decent odds. It's about 15 or 16 -1 on a No at the moment (and the other way 1-17 on a yes vote). I was tempted and placed 50 euros at 16-1. I expect to lose this. But I feel they're good odds for a long shot. I'll be a really happy camper on Saturday if the No's manage to scrape a win! :)

finbar10 wrote: »
    Betfair (as a betting exchange) usually has more decent odds. It's about 15 or 16 -1 on a No at the moment (and the other way 1-17 on a yes vote). I was tempted and placed 50 euros at 16-1. I expect to lose this. But I feel they're good odds for a long shot. I'll be a really happy camper on Saturday if the No's manage to scrape a win! :)

46 quid available at 17.5 earlier, wish I'd a credit card. :(

Advertisement