Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If the Eurozone is meant to be a single market economy...

Options
  • 01-10-2009 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭

...Why is it that inflation, wages, prices, etc are still different across the board?

I mean you have a lot of talk at the moment about multinationals pulling out of Western Europe and moving to the newer Eastern EU states where it's cheaper, but is the whole concept of "The Eurozone" not supposed to be that it resembles one economy?

(NOTE: No Lisbon stuff in here please! :D )

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Why are they different between London and Leeds, or Dublin and Mayo? Same logic really.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

I'm sure you'll find there's been a big difference in inflation between Dublin and let's say Leitrim during the boom. As previous poster said, same logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

Its due to the base costs in each country varying.

Ideally in a free market with perfect movement these these things would not happen as services etc could move freely and some of this would be eliminated. The eu parliament blocked the services directive which would have allowed this.

In addition tax rates vary in each country too and some countries have a greater supply of free labour than others thus wages vary.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

...Why is it that inflation, wages, prices, etc are still different across the board?

I mean you have a lot of talk at the moment about multinationals pulling out of Western Europe and moving to the newer Eastern EU states where it's cheaper, but is the whole concept of "The Eurozone" not supposed to be that it resembles one economy?

Because it's not supposed to be a one-size-fits-all straitjacket. The 'internal market' consists of the elimination of internal barriers to trade (including, therefore, standardisation of terms to produce a common 'trade vocabulary') and distortions of fair competition by governments and monopolies. It doesn't touch the member states' rights to compete with each other on fair terms, or to order their internal workings (like minimum wages), because that's not the point - except where it falls under elimination of internal barriers or distortion of competition.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

Even in a "one economy" such as the US there frequently is significant variations in the economic performance in the various economic regions. California's state budget situation is, or at least was until very recently, about to rival Iceland. Other states meanwhile had budgets in the black (e.g. Texas). And you really don't want to talk about the economic trend of somewhere like Detroit over the last few years...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Well that's a good example - why IS Dublin more expensive than most places out the country? I especially noticed huge discrepancies between pub prices in Kerry and Dublin when I stayed in Kerry this summer :D

Is it because smaller population = fewer customers = prices must be lower to attract them?

I mean things like electricity, gas and tax are the same across the board... Property / rent prices maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Well that's a good example - why IS Dublin more expensive than most places out the country? I especially noticed huge discrepancies between pub prices in Kerry and Dublin when I stayed in Kerry this summer :D

Is it because smaller population = fewer customers = prices must be lower to attract them?

I mean things like electricity, gas and tax are the same across the board... Property / rent prices maybe?

Simplistic view:

More jobs located in Dublin = More people working in Dublin = More people shopping in Dublin = More people coming into a central shop = More competition for central shops due to a fixed amount of land = Higher costs on shop rent = Higher markup on goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Property and rental prices would be a major factor - both directly on the business in terms of premises, and on wages so that employees can afford housing.

If you're interested in that kind of question, The Undercover Economist is quite a fun read.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Advertisement