Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What can we, the ordinary people, do?

Options
  • 01-10-2009 2:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Perhaps I’ve been like so many other people, here as in real life – I lurked; heard the opinions of others (agreed or disagreed, but ultimately tried to understand their reasons for their beliefs) but now I feel I’ve had enough of lurking and not doing anything.

And I feel I’m not alone.

I don’t want to be arguing with people on the internet, if for no other reason than I’ll probably get sacked for raging incoherently at my computer:D. And I do feel that the recent media coverage regarding the unions is pushing people more and more in opposition to each other. I know after seeing some of the recent coverage that I initially was eager to find my first PS picket line and march right through it.

(as an aside I believe a concensus of sort is being reached amongst saner elements – it’s not the public sectors fault that their pay & conditions are where they are now & that their contribution to society in terms of both spending & tax are vital at the moment. However if the level of disparity between what’s coming in and going out is not addressed it’s not just a recession we will be dealing with but rather a long-term economic famine. (??) And I personally find the most infuriating element to be the pure intransigence of the Unions – those people who claim to continue the legacy of Irish patriots yet refuse to acknowledge that everyone now needs to make a large sacrifice for the countries future)

And, as has been mentioned, creating a broad “us v them” between the private and public sector workers ain’t gonna solve nuthin!!!

Neither is the endless similar debates taking place on forums, at pubs and in front of TVs across the country. I don’t like this feeling of being powerless – I want to get off my ass and do something. But for the life of me I don’t know where to start…does anyone, has anyone???

(hopefully this ain’t tl:dr!!!...and apologies if in the wrong forum)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

I think the answer is fairly simple.

People will have to work harder and smarter for less money. Does not matter if your public, private or even a bloody politician (though I don't hold out much hope of the politicians being capable of working smarter...).

The sooner everyone buckles down and gets on with things the sooner we can get back to some sort of reasonable economic condition and start making reasonable investments in society as a whole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Yes, join Amhrán Nua, we need volunteers and representatives to help get the word about the party out there. (see sig)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 hazardous

apologies for the massive font - that's what happens when you type in word & copy I guess!

Thanks for the link AmhranNua - I'll check out your site and replies over the course of the evening.

And that's a very typical union response Bits_n_Bobs;). But I totally agree tbh.

I just feel that if I had my head in the sand and had a Paisley-esque "NO" to any cuts of any type then I could join a march to Kildare St. But being slightly more realistic I just want some way for my voice to be heard, and not just from a barstool.

Advertisement