Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Independent disregards The Enlightenment as Daily Mailism take over

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭D rog

I wondered was I reading the leader. Can't believe it was front page news.
    I laughed a lot. Slow week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 bunny2009

Can you prove it's untrue, people have different beliefs, I am glad they printed it, makes a change from reading about the taxi men every week, although I agree it was hardly front page news.:)

Ah no, I have no problem with others' beliefs.
    But 'found' implies there was some actual evidence- and I can't find any in the article :D
    But the owner is obviously happy now, so no harm really.

On a different note but from the same paper- have you seen the West street mankini streaker on Youtube?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Nice to see cutting edge stories being brought to the people of Louth. I believe The National Enquirer are sending some reporters over to cover it. Couldn't think of anything of more value to be on the front page. Mind you that mankini one was a close second. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 bunny2009

It was so funny, I think the mankini should be made an official uniform for the traffic wardens of the town.:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭garrincha62

bunny2009 wrote: »
    Can you prove it's untrue, people have different beliefs, I am glad they printed it, makes a change from reading about the taxi men every week, although I agree it was hardly front page news.:)

Fair point, people do have different beliefs and they are entitled to them no matter how mad they may be. I'm fairly sure this wouldn't stand up to the rigours of the scientific measures. It would of been more appropriate in a new weekly section of the paper, entitled Mad Locals. I blame the education cirriculum!

There could be a Paddy McCabe watch too.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

Back to the well for water..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,303 ✭✭✭positron

From the article:
    'As soon as they got their, they said they could tell they were children, although they could also smell campfire smoke, and one thought she could feel a graveyard,' he says.

Well, please don't let your school-going children read this stuff! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

People are worse for buying it with that rubbish on the front page.

I took one look at the headline and left the paper where it belongs ... on the shelf.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

bunny2009 wrote: »
    Can you prove it's untrue

I think I could, even though I haven't seen the article. Certainly beyond reasonable doubt it could be proven. The paper really will lose a lot of credit over this. How anyone can take a paper seriously when it has a front page story like that, I'll never know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭wilson10

Is anyone else appalled that the Drogheda Independent ran a story about one-armed Scandanavian child ghosts as its main story this week? I was of the view that scientific advancement, higher levels of education and it being the year 2009 generally would have stopped the editor from running such bollox...or has April Fools Day been moved to September? What next? Moving statues? :confused:

http://www.drogheda-independent.ie/news/child-ghosts-found-in-home-1899908.html

I only just found this thread and yes I couldn't believe my eyes when I picked up the paper.

What absolutely amazed me was the way the story was presented, no tongue in cheek, no pinch of salt, just absolute fact.

This, in the enlightened times in which we live, with so much that is newsworthy going on, crime, joblosses, the loss of hospital services etc.

Drogheda Independent, cop on, this is not the middle ages

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

They're writing about mediums. Lol. They "dated" the ghosts to what, the 18th century? With a modified PKE meter of course.:pac: And talked about their accents, the good Scandanavian linguistics expert that the medium must have been. I think some people have been watching too many Ikea advertisements.

The story is totally implausible at the best of times. I just hope they have a sense of humour about the slagging they'll get.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Not exacty what I'd call professional journalism.
    Bad, just bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

They're obviously appealing to the lowest common denominator, i.e. Drogheda Leader/Tabloid readers. :o Sad to see what the Independent newspapers have stooped to. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Another good one in the Leader this week. Not as dramatic as the DI though. Check out the For Sale Classifieds for the '$hit Zue' pups for sale. :)

Did my eyes deceive me or is there a Joe dolan tribute with a female lead singer?

Advertisement