Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurants on Parnell Street

Options
  • 01-10-2009 1:01pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭

well, we have decided we really need to try out a few of these Restaurants seeing as we pass them everyday.

Which ones are best to try out?

now the difficult question - which are the best for vegetarian food ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I was told by a Japanese friend that Kim Chi and Bon Ga are both good. The latter is on Capel St though iirc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

The Korean BBq one is a load of crap.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Degsy wrote: »

thanks dearie, but the thread is about the BEST restaurants.

may be you could start your own thread about the worse ones :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Hilan on Parnell St is a favourite of mine.

I would recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meeja Ireland

Which Korean BBQ, and what didn't you like about it? Telling us what you had and what was wrong with it might help steer us away from a bad experience. If you mean the Alilang, I've been there a couple of times, and I found the food very good.

Mainly I've had the actual Korean barbecue, where they serve you strips of raw meat which you cook yourself on something that looks like the lid of a wok. This comes with salads and some lovely sauces - I particularly liked the dry heat of the chilli sauce, but the peanut sauce was also good and rich.

Of the non-barbecue dishes, I've had a decent prawn starter. Guests have generally been happy, although I haven't yet taken the real test of bringing someone Korean.

My favourite place on Parnell St, however, is the Hop House. This is also Korean in style, although I think it is run by Chinese people. Whatever the origin of the owners, the Koran specialities seem to be done very well. I would recommend the pulgogi, a barbecued beef dish with kim chee. (I think pul-gogi means literally fire-beef, which sounds like good food in any language.) The staff there are really welcoming, and this is often the clinching factor for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Hilan on Parnell St is a favourite of mine.

I would recommend it.

Do you mean the one on Capel St? If so, I plus one your recommendation; fantastic place, reasonable prices, nice staff and quality food.

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭cantgetright

The wool shed
    good pub food

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

oceanclub wrote: »
    Do you mean the one on Capel St? If so, I plus one your recommendation; fantastic place, reasonable prices, nice staff and quality food.

P.

Yup - Got a bit confused:o

Probably because I've been meaning to try out more of the spots on Parnell St but end up going back to Hilan cos its so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

Eddie Rockets or Bennys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

If there are lots of Asians in the restaurant then you know it's good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The Hilan on Capel Street is my absolute favourite. Great flavours and food with fantastic staff.

On Parnell Street, I've tried Charming Noodles (should be good for veggies), Chinese Ma Ma's (OK), Yuelaixiang (Nice) and the Fortuna (hot spicy Siuchan food).

I also like the Ailang (spelling) Korean BBQ on Parnell Street - I think that it was the first and it's quite nice.

Wow, looking at my blog, I've just realised that I get around to a lot of Chinese and Asian Restaurants.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,159 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Can't remember the name, but opposite the ILAC entrance near McDonald's - there are two restaurants. Pick the one with the Buddha in the window.
    Very good indeed.

Hop House and Charming Noodle are also good the other end of Parnell Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Charming Noodle is my fave restaurant in the whole of Dublin. Id really recommend it,the food is yummy! My best friend is Sri Lankan and really into her Asian food and she says its the best on Parnell street.

I love the name of the restaurant next door 'The finest Korean Deal with'.The engish name must have got lost in translation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Billlang

Musashi in Capel St is the best place to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭robjones1981

Yes charming noodle is very nice

Hilan on capel street is good too -perhaps a little more expensive than charming noodle

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

The best restaurant is surely chapter one
    Food is amazing, and usually have lunch specials 2course €29, 3course €36.50
    also pre-theatre 3 course 36.50 too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Chapter One is not on Parnell St

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

There is a teppenyaki place somewhere on Parnell street (I think). I have no clue if it's any good, but teppenyaki is good fun usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

irishbird wrote: »
    well, we have decided we really need to try out a few of these Restaurants seeing as we pass them everyday.

Which ones are best to try out?

now the difficult question - which are the best for vegetarian food ?

The Japanese one got a good write up in either the times or indo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Mandarin House or Kim Chi/Hop House are my two favourites on/near Parnell St.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Anybody been in Akenchawa's Honey Pot?

Looks like a right bucket of blood with gangs of dodgy-looking africans hanging round outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

Anyone see the new "gastro pub" which was the Parnell Mooney? Only opened in the past few days I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

CiaranC wrote: »
    Chapter One is not on Parnell St

My mistake, it's on parnell square, I'm sure since the OP doesn't mind ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,159 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Anybody been in Akenchawa's Honey Pot?

Looks like a right bucket of blood with gangs of dodgy-looking africans hanging round outside.

I've always wanted to try one of the African restaurants, particularly the one on the NCR near Fitzgibbon St.. I'd be afraid though that it would be all bones as I have a bit of a freak out where visible bones are in food - especially stew dishes.

I would be morto at the thought of offending anyone by not eating whatever I got, so I do the scaredy cat thing and stay out. I'm very curious though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

The Hop House!!! YUM

Advertisement