Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pharmacists: Cascade process of investigation?

Options
  • 01-10-2009 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am trying to get drugs from a veterinary prescription at a pharmacy.
    The pharmacist said that in order for her to process this she needs the vet to write something about a "cascade process of investigation" on an attaced piece of paper before she can give them to me.

Does anybody know what this means?
    I think she said something to the effect of the medication being suitable for animal consumption.

I know I really should have asked her to explain more clearly for me but I was busy trying to write down what she was saying while I was talking to her.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Okay, I wasn't going to reply because I don't know the exact protocol to tell you, but since you have no other replies I'll tell you my (basic) understanding of the cascade system:

Basically, it is the steps in order of which the vet must choose drugs for treatment of a condition in an animal. They should only move along the steps in the cascade if they have already tried the previous ones.

First, they must obviously choose to use a drug licensed for treating that condition in that species.

Next, they should try a drug licensed for a different condition in the same species, or the same condition in a different species.

Next, they can try a drug licensed (in Ireland) for human use.

If the drug you are looking for is a human drug or perhaps only licensed for a different species than for which it is being prescribed, the pharmacist might want the vet to state in writing that he/she has already followed the previous steps.

I can not say that this is the exact procedure for the cascade but it is something along those lines anyway. Hopefully somebody can tell you the exact protocol.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

Super, thanks a million. Much appreciated.

I won't feel like a complete pleb when trying to expain this to the vet - although I am now thinking he will already know what it is.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Miss Lockhart has it pretty much spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭briankirby

kildara wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am trying to get drugs from a veterinary prescription at a pharmacy.
    The pharmacist said that in order for her to process this she needs the vet to write something about a "cascade process of investigation" on an attaced piece of paper before she can give them to me.

Does anybody know what this means?
    I think she said something to the effect of the medication being suitable for animal consumption.

I know I really should have asked her to explain more clearly for me but I was busy trying to write down what she was saying while I was talking to her.

Thanks for your help.

I dont think vets enjoy writing prescriptions,for people who want to buy vet drugs OUTSIDE their clinic.
    The pharmacists in my area sell their vet drugs at cp so its a complete waste.:pac:

Advertisement