Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best before date Roulette. It's what makes us Irish

Options
  • 01-10-2009 4:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

Heh gang. I am currently in a race against time to come up with a recipe that involves corn on the cob and blueberries (don't ask,drunk:o). I am eating as much of the coleslaw that is on the turn as I can while I think.
    I've seen this before. I saw my sister have to wrestle the end of a cheap jelly marmalade out of my mother's hands saying,"You don't like it Mom. There's 30c worth there at most.Throw it in the bin and don't ruin your breakfast. You'll blow a hundred euro on a night out and enjoy it."
    But they both knew that wasn't the point. The point is if you're Irish, nothing goes to waste. I love the fact that a certain member of U2 can leave half a glass of champagne on the counter but can't stop himself smoking his cigarettes down to the butt. I love our famine mentality.

*smiles at pikachucheeks shockingly expensive brilliant new boots while she uses the clotheshorse instead of the drier*:)

So? Drunk or on to something?

Edit: Sorry, lost the run of myself. What I wanted to ask was has anyone eaten/used stuff for no other reason than not wanting it to go to waste?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

that is a fair point. We are a mad race

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

you should visit India some time, or some African countries

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Edit: Sorry, lost the run of myself. What I wanted to ask was has anyone eaten/used stuff for no other reason than not wanting it to go to waste?

Yep - Bread Pudding from Stale Bread; Bubble and Squeek from left-over Bacon and Cabbage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

They eat kangaroo here. And beef sausages, the foul bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

seanybiker wrote: »
    that is a fair point. We are a mad race
    One might even say we are a young species with much to learn. I'm sure that somebody has see goodness in us. After all, freedom is the right of all sentient beings.

Sure they probably know there's only one way to end this war. I'd hazard a guess and say it's something along the lines of destroying the MacGuffin.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

"Mom"? Are you sure you're Irish? Yeah what a thoroughly f*cked up "race" we are, eating food before it goes off, mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Please learn the difference between "best before" and "use by". If something has passed its "best before" date, it's not gone off or dangerous to consume. Some things never go off. Like water.
    My wife is constantly throwing stuff out which has passed its best before date and it drives me mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I had eggs that were best before today last night so decided to use a couple, fried. One of them I tried to crack wouldn't. Needless to say I didn't try any more. Got three on before I tried that one though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

What makes us Irish is our citizenship to Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    What makes us Irish is our citizenship to Ireland.

dear bob,

i like you, but piss off with such seriousness. this ain't the place.

Best wishes,

GG

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

genericguy wrote: »
    dear bob,

i like you, but piss off with such seriousness. this ain't the place.

Best wishes,

GG

What and let another "I'M DRUNK AND A MAD IRISH WHORE!!!!!!!!" thread go unchecked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

My OH cuts the mouldy bits out of bread and toasts the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Des wrote: »
    My OH cuts the mouldy bits out of bread and toasts the rest.
    I've done that before, but sometimes the mould is in the bread, not necessarily on it, so I don't do that anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

seamus wrote: »
    I've done that before, but sometimes the mould is in the bread, not necessarily on it, so I don't do that anymore.

seamus.

You look naked
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭starflake

I'm a freak like that ... If anything has been out of the fridge for long i can't eat it. To eat something that was past it's ''best before'' date I couldn't physically eat it. It would turn my stomach... think i'm a bit obsessional about it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

starflake wrote: »
    I'm a freak like that ... If anything has been out of the fridge for long i can't eat it. To eat something that was past it's ''best before'' date I couldn't physically eat it. It would turn my stomach... think i'm a bit obsessional obsessive about it

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭starflake

I don't do grammar :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

aidan24326 wrote: »
    FYP

As a noun used to describe a state of mind, obsessional is correct

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I usually end up throwing out most of the food in my fridge because it's the weekend and I need that space for alcoholic food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I normally play Roulette before going out dates but find that the best one is the Dal Negro Roulette Wheel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Stonypockets

hmmm... I once ate a rather large tray of lasagne for 5 consecutive nights just to avoid throwing any out... needless to say the thought of lasagne makes me feel ill to this day!!! :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Gone off beer is probably stronger, so I always drink away. How it managed to stay around long enough I dunno.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

seamus wrote: »
    Or else there's mould on it you can't see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

*smiles at pikachucheeks shockingly expensive brilliant new boots while she uses the clotheshorse instead of the drier*:)

I'm very confused.
    I didn't buy new boots...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Dudess wrote: »
    Or else there's mould on it you can't see.

T'is good for you...isn't that how penicillin was discovered? On a piece of bread?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭smallgarden

some things are ok to eat after best before date.i find with eggs theyre usually grand for few weeks later. i smell bread if think its gone mouldy as it smells different.so even though there may be no visible mould it might taste funny.i personally dont like taste of it but its still safe to eat. i wouldnt use things past use by date like meat or dairy.just looking or smelling gone off milk will make me wretch,nasty stuff!

Chicken breast. I remember cooking it in a stir-fry and eating if several days after it's expiry date and it was pretty fowl.

Tasted of acid...it smelled of acid, whatever sort of bacteria was fermenting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭georgem25

I use the best before dates as a guide. Check to see what the food feels like, colour and odour etc I havent had any bad experiences yet (fingers crossed)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Chicken breast. I remember cooking it in a stir-fry and eating if several days after it's expiry date and it was pretty fowl.

:D

I hope that was intended?!

• Advertisement

:D

I hope that was intended?!

Yup...I just quietly worked it in as I was typing. :pac:

Advertisement