Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Design Advice For Website

Options
  • 30-09-2009 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

Hi,

I was asked to develop a simple enough website for a friend that makes kitchens, cabinets, wardrobes etc. So far, I've come up with the design shown in the attached screenshot (phone number is hidden).
    I'm aware that it's quite basic but I'm not a professional designer and I'm just doing this in my spare time so I'm reasonably satisfied with the general design.
    However, I would appreciate some advice on how I can take the "bare" look off it, particularly the red background. I will have a small footer running along the bottom but other than that I still feel it lacks something.
    I've Googled quite a bit on backgrounds and pictures but haven't come across anything I can fit in seamlessly.
    I'm not the most creative so I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Sukie_asleep

Put some white squiggles in the bottom left corner... like this

http://1001christianclipart.com/downloads4/background-clip-art-red.jpg

but classier, also maybe make the buttons a different colour, its a bit red but otherwise a nice design

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dartsfan

Thanks, something like that might work nicely. Ideally I'd like some design related to the site, kitchen, carpentry, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

I'd stick with the bare look. The design you have is pretty ok for a non-professional. Usually it all tends to go wrong when people try to add too much to it. What you've got is fine, just make sure you get some really high quality photos ofthe furniture and let the photos do the talking. :)

Also, on a more general note regarding the design. I highly recommend using a pre-defined grid system. Check this one out: http://960.gs/demo.html Just use the grid in the background and align all your elements to it. It will give the site a nicer spacing and more unified look than positioning things by eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dartsfan

Good idea, thanks, would have saved me a lot of hassle!

Advertisement