If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact

Back to school allowance?

  • 30-09-2009 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭

    A few of my mates are on the back to school allowance for uni - apparently they were on the dole for more than a year before returning to school, so they continue to get it while in school.

    I'm currently on part time dole (jobseekers allowance + working 3 days a week). Does anyone know how long I'd have to be on it before I might be eligible for this? And if it's applicable for a post graduate degree, like a masters? I already have a bachelor of arts degree.


  • Company Representative Posts: 85 Verified rep Citizens Information: Graham

    Hi cafecolour

    you can qualify for the Back to Education Allowance after a certain number of days on Jobseeker's Allowance - 234 or 312, depending on whether or not you are approved under the National Employment Action Plan (NEAP).

    You also need to be 21 years old to do an undergraduate course and 24 years old to do a postgraduate course.

    Courses have to be approved for the Back to Education Allowance. Masters courses are not generally eligible for the Back to Education Allowance, only Higher Diplomas or a Graduate Diploma in Education.

    You can find more information on this here: (see sections 1.8 to 1.10)

    Graham Long
    Citizens Information

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭cafecolour

    Excellent, thanks for the info Graham.